A noob is going to quit when.....

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: A noob is going to quit when.....

Postby yoyman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Edit: I was under the impression that the forums (and thus the wiki) were required resources (i.e. the town crier yelling about the forums). Looks like you guys are on top of this for the early game with the tutorial island. In that case, my point is moot. Keep the good things coming!

I realize this game is not for everyone and that Salem will not cater to the lowest common denominator. With that in mind:

The forums are a useful resource and the wiki is super useful (thank you PistolShrimp and gang!), requiring the use of either is immersion breaking. Tabbing out of the game because there is not even a hint of an idea for how to advance or accomplish something could be considered not fun. Discovering things for yourself is becomes fun once there are already other things to do (i.e. mid-game). During the early game when you have no other choice but to figure something out before you can move on, not having the information available in game can be frustrating.

If these resources are intended to be a requirement you need to slap a noob in the face several times with words along the lines of "these resources are available and, if you get stuck, MUST be used to continue". Frustration in the first hours will cause a noob to quit.
Last edited by yoyman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyman

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 pm

yoyman wrote:I realize this game is not for everyone and that Salem will not cater to the lowest common denominator. With that in mind:

The forums are a useful resource and the wiki is super useful (thank you PistolShrimp and gang!), requiring the use of either is immersion breaking. Tabbing out of the game because there is not even a hint of an idea for how to advance or accomplish something could be considered not fun. Discovering things for yourself is becomes fun once there are already other things to do (i.e. mid-game). During the early game when you have no other choice but to figure something out before you can move on, not having the information available in game can be frustrating.

If these resources are intended to be a requirement you need to slap a noob in the face several times with words along the lines of "these resources are available and, if you get stuck, MUST be used to continue". Frustration in the first hours will cause a noob to quit.

We're making a tutorial to help players get started. It will explain the basics of the game mechanics so that anyone doing nothing but paying attention during the tutorial should be able to get through a good many hours of gameplay with no additional help. There is also a help section for when they do get into Providence. Many of the late game mechanics, however, such as advanced crime and witchcraft will always be intended for players to make friends and learn from them, or learn themselves through trial and error. Some things might be easier to learn on the wiki or the forums, but neither of those resources has ever been required.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby matan002 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:23 pm

a noob is going to quit when april fools ruins their day :D
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby raketkalle » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

Some of my friends left when they tried to get into the action straight away by attacking crickits and spiders.

They KO:ed and got teleported back to providence and couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back to use and our new base.
raketkalle

Postby Procne » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:15 am

raketkalle wrote:Some of my friends left when they tried to get into the action straight away by attacking crickits and spiders.

They KO:ed and got teleported back to providence and couldn't be bothered to walk all the way back to use and our new base.

So... the point is that a new player is not familiarized with leanto mechanics?
Procne

Postby raketkalle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Yes, before. Now it's a lot easier with the great tutorial and the easy way of getting to each other with the maps. I even think they might want to start playing again.
raketkalle

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations