A noob is going to quit when.....

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: A noob is going to quit when.....

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:47 pm

死 wrote:Already did, have, and still do not see what you are talking about. If people need to have things handed to them on a silver platter than society has failed. Sorry you can't understand that idea.
Nobody here is saying people should be handed everything on a silver platter. Why are you so stubborn in dragging our point to extreme?

I will repeat it again - Nobody here is saying people should be handed everything on a silver platter.
All we say is that the game should somehow introduce itself to the player and explain the basics:
1. features and possibilites of the game
2. basic mechanics, like movement controls, permadeath, crime, crafting

If that already is "handing on a silver platter" and, in your opinion, the only sources of knowledge about the game should be personal experience or wiki then I say you are unreasonable and don't want anything good for this game.
Procne

Postby » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:50 pm

trungdle wrote:Hmmmkay you guys need more coffee this afternoon. Maybe a cup of tea. Chill out and present yourself well lads.
I understand you now. In short, you want people to learn their own thing, we should not handle them, at all. Now talking about society, yes you are right. But you forget one thing. We are social creature. We learn from our predecessors. It is in our gene. You were born a baby, your family have to teach you everything, don't they? They don't leave you there and expect you to talk politic right away. And no one say our society is screwed that way.
Same thing here, you need to be taught the basic. In this case walking in a straightline, proficiencies, biles, etc are like eating, potty, talking, etc in real life. Without those knowledge, how can you survive? After being taught those, you try to get the rest, yourself. if you can't, you fail, else you thrive. Do you see my point?

...which I am not arguing against. The basics are already covered, quite well actually, via guides. The tutorial is to the point and tries to not interfere with paragraphs of information. The books worth of information are provided by the community. Always have been and always will be. Do we need a tutorial on how to use the basics? Probably would be a nice thing. Though we have to keep in mind one of the first ways of getting out of noob-hood is still relied upon by switching to a custom client. Issues like that hit relatively hard. Learning the basics are the same: Not pointed out to you and not to the point. They rely on the person pushing all of the buttons to give you the tool-tips.

The idea presented earlier of having a tutorial go over said concepts, with you ending up dead in the end, was a good idea. Handing the information of how to properly do x, y, or z on the other-hand not so much. Instead of working towards making a wonderful tutorial teaching how wonderful the game is and handing it over on a silver plater it should be to the point, cover the basics on how to survive and settle, and encourage personal development and to visit the forum when you are stumped. The biggest fla of a game like this, as well as H&H, is that it is to the point. So much so it expects you to learn on your own.

Procne wrote:

You've mixed it and taken it out of context again. Sorry, but I'm done trying to explain it to you.

Postby trungdle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Im glad that we finally find a common ground. Now we can focus on noob experience again.
Btw, I still think having the vast majority of information on the forum only kinda bad. You know, as I said there is nothing in game at first to prove that this game worth researching and that this is not just "yet another java trash"
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 pm

死 wrote:
trungdle wrote:Hmmmkay you guys need more coffee this afternoon. Maybe a cup of tea. Chill out and present yourself well lads.
I understand you now. In short, you want people to learn their own thing, we should not handle them, at all. Now talking about society, yes you are right. But you forget one thing. We are social creature. We learn from our predecessors. It is in our gene. You were born a baby, your family have to teach you everything, don't they? They don't leave you there and expect you to talk politic right away. And no one say our society is screwed that way.
Same thing here, you need to be taught the basic. In this case walking in a straightline, proficiencies, biles, etc are like eating, potty, talking, etc in real life. Without those knowledge, how can you survive? After being taught those, you try to get the rest, yourself. if you can't, you fail, else you thrive. Do you see my point?

...which I am not arguing against. The basics are already covered, quite well actually, via guides. The tutorial is to the point and tries to not interfere with paragraphs of information. The books worth of information are provided by the community. Always have been and always will be. Do we need a tutorial on how to use the basics? Probably would be a nice thing. Though we have to keep in mind one of the first ways of getting out of noob-hood is still relied upon by switching to a custom client. Issues like that hit relatively hard. Learning the basics are the same: Not pointed out to you and not to the point. They rely on the person pushing all of the buttons to give you the tool-tips.

Funny, a second ago you were quoting me here, not trungdle. Even more funny that for the last page I was trying to explain to you that tutorial is good. So, if you are not against it, then maybe next time you make a post like
"I'm sorry but really? People can't live without having the mechanics force fed down their poor little throats? What ever happened to actually investing your curiosity into how **** works (...)"

you will be more specific what you are against. Because for 10 pages before your post people were discussing tutorial and first 30 minutes of game experience for new players.
The idea presented earlier of having a tutorial go over said concepts, with you ending up dead in the end, was a good idea. Handing the information of how to properly do x, y, or z on the other-hand not so much. Instead of working towards making a wonderful tutorial teaching how wonderful the game is and handing it over on a silver plater it should be to the point, cover the basics on how to survive and settle, and encourage personal development and to visit the forum when you are stumped. The biggest fla of a game like this, as well as H&H, is that it is to the point. So much so it expects you to learn on your own.
And that's what we were saying before you stormed in and started shouting?
Procne wrote:

You've mixed it and taken it out of context again. Sorry, but I'm done trying to explain it to you.

Are you for real, or just trying to change your opinion without looking stupid ?
Procne

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I think what you are missing is that just because the forum is English only doesn't mean only English speaking players play the game. A wiki and a forum does nothing for them.
pistolshrimp

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:02 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:I think what you are missing is that just because the forum is English only doesn't mean only English speaking players play the game. A wiki and a forum does nothing for them.

Neiter would tutorial and descriptions in english. Unless the game was localized
Procne

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Procne wrote:
pistolshrimp wrote:I think what you are missing is that just because the forum is English only doesn't mean only English speaking players play the game. A wiki and a forum does nothing for them.

Neiter would tutorial and descriptions in english. Unless the game was localized

My comment was directed at 死 but for the most part I agree, however, there are ways around this, tho. For instance is the next thing to do blinked greena player might get what to do without needing to be able to read the directions.
pistolshrimp

Postby trungdle » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Procne wrote:

Give me the word and I swear you'll have Vietnamese done in 1 month.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Procne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm

trungdle wrote:
Procne wrote:

Give me the word and I swear you'll have Vietnamese done in 1 month.

I am afraid it's not that easy :)
Most of the text is stored on server. So you can't just change strings in client, you would have to modify client's code and make it replace all kinds of texts it receives from server.
Procne

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:14 pm

English is the most known language by more then one set of populace so it would be a huge waste of time to put in any other language, but that, if you put in one language then every ***** tard is going to want it in their language as well.
Rubberduckbandit

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations