A noob is going to quit when.....

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: A noob is going to quit when.....

Postby Dallane » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Nikixos wrote:Is essential to the game not being able to play properly? Like all of the videos i've seen about people playing the game for the first time, the first complaint i hear is the dumb walking system, it feels extremely crude and unappealing even watching gameplays of it,

Is it really hard to just curve the line of the player walk so the character bypasses Trees?
And what about this. Everytime you try to pick an item and a tree is on the way it stops you and cancels the action. You have to right click the item and click "Pick" at least twice.

>Any player who repeatedly runs himself into a tree
That happens all the time to everyone, not just a tree but also rocks, ores, cliffs, water, BUILDINGS!
Do you really think that's playable for a full released game? You asked what would make a new person quit and that's my opinion. The game is great and that's one of the things that sucks about it.
Many would say it's unplayable, but you're used to -3000 players so we don't care about all the potential market out there that quits after 1 hour of gameplay. or do we? :lol:

If you are actually still getting stuck on things in this game then you are a massive idiot.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Nikixos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Procne wrote:Most MMOs don't have pathfinding. In fact I can't think of any that does.

I don't know because i haven't played every MMO out there yet :lol:
But most games don't need it because the player can move properly around the map without having to click 10 times/second unlike Salem and H&H.
I don't even know if path finding is the proper solution but it needs work and it needs a solution.
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Nikixos » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 pm

@Dallane

Why are you insulting me?
Image Image
Nikixos

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Stahp double posting.
Rubberduckbandit

Postby DarkNacht » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:49 pm

Nikixos wrote:But most games don't need it because the player can move properly around the map without having to click 10 times/second unlike Salem and H&H.
I don't even know if path finding is the proper solution but it needs work and it needs a solution.

If your problem with the movement is not the lack of path finding than what is it? That you have to click or press a key to change directions? Thats how games without pathfinding work.
DarkNacht

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 am

I really dont' feel like changing the title of this thread, but moving forward, please keep in mind that the thread 'assumes' some reasonable level of minimum intelligence for the end-user. So while you would be correct that some noobs are idiots, not all idiots are noobs, yet ALL players who repeatedly run into trees are idiots. Hopefully you can follow that logic. I understand that there are going to be players who are not smart enough to 'NOT' walk into a tree over and over again before realizing its one simple click to 'avoid' the tree entirely. This game is not designed towards them, nor does it intend to cater down to their level so that they can enjoy it. Lets stay on topics of things that can help a 'noob' with the assumption that they are a reasonably intelligent grownup who has found the game please.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby alloin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 am

JohnCarver wrote:I really dont' feel like changing the title of this thread, but moving forward, please keep in mind that the thread 'assumes' some reasonable level of minimum intelligence for the end-user. So while you would be correct that some noobs are idiots, not all idiots are noobs, yet ALL players who repeatedly run into trees are idiots. Hopefully you can follow that logic. I understand that there are going to be players who are not smart enough to 'NOT' walk into a tree over and over again before realizing its one simple click to 'avoid' the tree entirely. This game is not designed towards them, nor does it intend to cater down to their level so that they can enjoy it. Lets stay on topics of things that can help a 'noob' with the assumption that they are a reasonably intelligent grownup who has found the game please.

You call me an idiot ? :mrgreen:

(I still run into tree's sometimes lol)
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:52 am

The difference being I have confidence that you realize said tree-running-into is your fault and adjust your behavior, instead of coming on the forums and asking for path-finding to save you from yourself.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Icon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 am

Asking for path finding should be this generations getting banned for posting about witchcraft
Icon

Postby Blood » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:44 am

If you want path-finding just quit life, Path-finding is a rts concept for moving armies and not having to move 50 millions soldiers around obstacles because it assumes each unit has a brain and says logically; tree in-front of me ill go around it not "OH **** A TREE WHY IS IT IN MY WAY OH GOD IM GOING TO WALK INTO IT OH GOD SOMEONE HELP ME!".
RPG assumes you have enough brainpower to navigate around obstacles games like wow/swtor/generic rpg use the arrows keys which essentially generate hundreds of move commands to navigate with whereas here its 1 simple click for an xy movement. I could go on for ages, but to summaries here is a picture of you.

Blood

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations