Teraforming - planting forests and creating ponds

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Teraforming - planting forests and creating ponds

Postby kusev » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Hello ppl,

I want to address an issue that I feel will become more dramatic with the increase of ppl. Good spots are rare - if you have clay you are away from rivers or if you have lime you don't have grass/forest nearby.
Also in the long run forests will get cleared out since wood is one of the major resources and it can't be replenished (unlike the real world where we have tree planting)

I have the following suggestions:

Forests
1. When a tree is chopped it yields randomly 1-3 saplings.
2. Saplings can be planted in the middle of 3x3 flat area.
3. Saplings grow randomly into full trees/fallen logs/hollow stumps at 65%/30%/5% ratio.
4. It takes 7 real days for a tree to grow (5 days for fallen logs and 14 days for hollow stumps).
5. Trees turn the 3x3 area into the corresponding biome (changing grass/tile color) and you can get the respective mushrooms, berries, flowers, chestnuts, snails etc.

Grassland
1. Clear and flatten a 9x9 area. Divide it in 3x3 smaller squares.
2. Prepare the 3x3 areas with Humus (like fields - game designers can even use the same texture). 9 areas x 5 humus = 45 humus.
3. Plant grass in the center of each 3x3.
4. Water/Fertilize each area for 5 days. A simple interface to let players know if watering/fertilizer is due and the overall progress bar.

Ponds
1. Flatten a 9x9 area.
2. Dig down and flatten the center 3x3 area. Depth of 2 units for shallow water and 5 units for deep water. (To be confirmed by game designers - slope angles etc)
3. Fill the area with buckets (maybe field texture on the bottom and simple interface to show how much water was added). The number of buckets required - 3x3x(2or5)x10 = 180 or 450 buckets
4. This can be further developed for the creation of moats - given the number of buckets for 3x3 for a lengthy moat you will need several people and at least a town sized claim to be worth it.

I hope the game designers will take this post into account and maybe add on the game web page a "In development" tab so we don't bother them with things they are already working on.

Best regards
Last edited by kusev on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kusev

Re: Teraforming - planting forests and creating ponds

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 am

You're a day late and a dollar short on this. Not sure about the planting seeds for grass (forest will decay to grass if all the trees near a forest tile are cut down), but the forest will likely come with treeplanting if the same thing is done here as was in Haven.

As far as ponds... I believe the devs have commented on this and said, overall, no.

Guess I should say: I do like the idea you have for forests. Not sure it will go this way.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby kusev » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm

I will be happy any way it goes as long as it goes anyway :)
Any info on when we can expect any updates or at least on what the devs are working on? I checked the forum thread for boats but this is kinda "after", not "in development".
kusev

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Tree planting should really be fixed... :/
jorb

Postby Uberness » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:36 pm

kusev wrote:2. Prepare the 3x3 areas with Humus (like fields - game designers can even use the same texture). 9 areas x 5 humus = 15 humus.

I'm pretty sure 9 X 5 = 45 not 15
Uberness

Postby kusev » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Uberness wrote:
kusev wrote:2. Prepare the 3x3 areas with Humus (like fields - game designers can even use the same texture). 9 areas x 5 humus = 15 humus.

I'm pretty sure 9 X 5 = 45 not 15

Edited - tnx -It was way past midnight when I wrote it.
kusev

Return to Ideas & Innovations