Don`t make ressources renewable

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Don`t make ressources renewable

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Just realized that I didn`t want wood or lime renewable...as long as their is no game concept which generates a need for something like an infrastructure (roads or waterways) the need to go long distances because you have run out of wood or lime may be the only reason we get to build an infrastructure. That would also establish some sort of trade as new settlements near forests may trade their wood or lime to established cities...
ElCapitan1701

Re: Don`t make ressources renewable

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Wood is going to be renewable, but at significantly higher effort than the current system.

As for not having anything renewable, think about the MMO not having world resets. Eventually the main server would be a barren wasteland. That's not any fun for beginning players who can find no place to settle.

I don't see any other options with the way the game is designed but to make things long term renewable at least in some sense.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 pm

And it wouldn't accomplish what you want it to either. People would just make alts with homesteads on resources, and port stuff in via Boston (like they already do).
Potjeh

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Sevenless wrote:Wood is going to be renewable, but at significantly higher effort than the current system.

If it needs enough time to respawn that shouldn`t be a problem. A city just shouldn`t be able to satisfy their needs of wood in a near distance.

As for not having anything renewable, think about the MMO not having world resets. Eventually the main server would be a barren wasteland. That's not any fun for beginning players who can find no place to settle.

I don't see any other options with the way the game is designed but to make things long term renewable at least in some sense.

You can settle in an established city if the city has access to wood by trade. They don`t need to have trees right behind their city gates...would be the citys task to provide wood if they want to attract new settlers. So settlers will find plenty of places to settle.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Yeah, not bad concepts if we weren't talking permadeath. Cooperation with random settlers is risky due to the possibility of being raided. There just isn't any good ingame mechanics to make having random players working with you a benefit. I could rattle off a couple examples easily enough (ability to live within a city bounds for some kind of rent), but none of them exist at the moment and won't for at least a long time. Without ingame support for management though, that kind of stuff just won't form easily.

As for wood: It will be inside the city walls. Definitely a massive time requirement to plant enough trees to truly fuel a city, but possible. More "respawn" just means more area needed for farming.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Idk... exhausting a lime node seems hard :)
jorb

Return to Ideas & Innovations