Save our clicks! (And server event traffic too)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Save our clicks! (And server event traffic too)

Postby Lord_Avu » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Yes wrote:
LOMS wrote:
Lord_Avu wrote:Might be a latikai only thing bt why oh god why can't I swap equiped tools without taking the equiped one out first? You can swap them in belt no problem but not the one equiped.

This is server-side fix too. Added to op.

Pick the equipped item and then put it in the slot of the item you want to equip. It's the same amount of clicks.

It is but it's unnatural to me. I always try to do it the other way around first. This is probably a trivial update but it's a nice thing and a nice thing we can actually have.
Also if you're using torch you always have to empty the slot first and then use a torch otherwise you have to relight it drives me nuts.
Lord_Avu

Postby majtejn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:17 pm

For a client-side approach I use Autohotkey, it saves me some clicks. Mostly I lack ideas what script should I do, but if someone wants to team up we can make a small project.
majtejn

Postby LOMS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:51 am

majtejn wrote:For a client-side approach I use Autohotkey, it saves me some clicks. Mostly I lack ideas what script should I do, but if someone wants to team up we can make a small project.

JC said that's illegal ¦]
LOMS

Postby majtejn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 am

LOMS wrote:JC said that's illegal ¦]

It was never illegal as it cannot be recognized. AHK sends real windows events so game cannot decide if it was real human input. The only exceptions it when u send events faster than it's possible for a human , but in Salem I can't see any activity where you'd need that.
The other possible exploit is coding a bot, but I see no point in that. I'd still have to look after it so bears and other players don't kill it. I can't say I didn't think about this, but I realized making a bot for Salem would need too much effort, a lot of image processing would be involved and that's not something you want to do in your free time.
And I don't like bots.

What I do is not illegal, it just makes my life easier. For example, I have a 7-buttoned mouse, I have a script for one of them to send a right-click and right after number 1. This picks up things, gathers coal and much more. I posted about it because I don't have any more idea what scrips would be useful.
Any ideas?
majtejn

Postby Kandarim » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:16 pm

[/quote]
majtejn wrote:It was never illegal as it cannot be recognized.

it's not because it is undetectable that it is legal ;)

majtejn wrote:The other possible exploit is coding a bot, but I see no point in that. I'd still have to look after it so bears and other players don't kill it. I can't say I didn't think about this, but I realized making a bot for Salem would need too much effort, a lot of image processing would be involved and that's not something you want to do in your free time.

I can guarantee you that there are much more sophisticated bots in existence than you dream about. Image processing :lol: Before mortal moments took over, bots were accepted but frowned upon. Now that they are actually forbidden by JC and MM, I like to think everyone else also stopped using theirs :) As an example, I had lime diggers, cotton harvesters, and several other bots that worked just fine.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby majtejn » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 pm

You're right in both questions.
For bots I didn't mean recorded macros like digging lime. Still image processing is a big overkill, my head is just full with that from work. But it's needed if you want a forager, except if you can extract local map data from the client, but this one is a very thin client as I see and it knows very little about what happens on the server.
But this is illegal so I can only speak in theory and I know little about the game.
Kandarim wrote:it's not because it is undetectable that it is legal ;)

Sure, what makes it legal is that I can't get unfair advantage whit these.
majtejn

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

We have indeed implemented tools that report to us various levels of repetitive tasks. While it is surely possible to 'automate' Salem in small doses and possibly avoid detection, the larger and longer sessions where players, characters etc. engage in the same task over extended period of times do get audited. If we decide that the character is not behind the keyboard we have no issue disabling the account for X period of time. Let this be another reminder that it is extremely important to respond to a dev if he appears in front of you and you have been doing the same or similar things for a long periods of time.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Kandarim » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:40 pm

image processing bots are SO 2000.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby majtejn » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Kandarim wrote:image processing bots are SO 2000.

:lol:

Back to the subject. I'm not really interested in bots, I really think these things need improvement. I know there are programmers among us, when programmers do the same thing 20 times, they start to think about automating it. Even if I like writing little scripts :twisted: there shouldn't be a need for them.
majtejn

Postby LOMS » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:02 am

Flask should have "drink" option in inventory, but when you select it - flask should automatically replace item in your left hand before your character starts to drink.
LOMS

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations