There is one critical part of the game missing...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Drinks

Postby aragaer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm

I thought of drinks being yet another "foods", restoring humours. Maybe some special drinks being inspirationals.
aragaer

Postby kabuto202 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Shameless self-plug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=115
kabuto202

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Not only has kabuto, as shamelessly self-plugged above, created a thread about this, but it has been a subject of discussion for a long time. This will most likely come, eventually, but for now let's keep the discussion in one thread. Merging.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Re: There is one critical part of the game missing...

Postby Tonkyhonk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

let me repeat. what we need in this game is rum, along with sugarcane.
maybe with some buffs and debuffs. (decreasing "fear" slightly is what i can currently think atm.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:let me repeat. what we need in this game is rum, along with sugarcane.
maybe with some buffs and debuffs. (decreasing "fear" slightly is what i can currently think atm.)

We can't grow sugarcane in the climate the game is set in. Only things pilgrims could produce were corn, wheat, fruit and potato based ferments.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 am

Sevenless wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote:let me repeat. what we need in this game is rum, along with sugarcane.

We can't grow sugarcane in the climate the game is set in. Only things pilgrims could produce were corn, wheat, fruit and potato based ferments.

you could buy sugarcane (or its plantation) from the Company, distill rum, sell rum and sugar to the Company.
isnt it what they were doing in Boston?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Osmedirez » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:17 am

Use for booze suggestion = Getting all liquored up before heading into the darkness, give some protection from the humor drain, or perhaps if their will be darkness creatures that can utilize illusions or charming effects of some sort, it temporarily or partially makes you immune to such things.
"We've come for The Darkness"
Osmedirez

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Osmedirez wrote:Use for booze suggestion = Getting all liquored up before heading into the darkness, give some protection from the humor drain, or perhaps if their will be darkness creatures that can utilize illusions or charming effects of some sort, it temporarily or partially makes you immune to such things.

Hidebehinds avoid attacking people carrying alcohol.

"The creature subsists chiefly upon the intestines of its victim, and has a severe aversion to alcohol, which is considered a sufficient repellent."
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby sumofallwars » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:45 am

Brewing is a very important part of being a pioneer.

From the earliest settlements in the New World, beer was brewed in the homes of America. Beer was considered by early Americans essential to health and well-being: thus the well-documented case of the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth due to a beer shortage, not because Plymouth was a suitable location for settlement.[1]

In Europe, drinking unprocessed water could make one ill. Water was only considered safe to drink if it had been processed in some way; the process of brewing rendered water safe for drinking. Moreover, beer and ale were an essential part of everyday diet. Often referred to as 'liquid bread,' beer had protein, vitamins, carbohydrates and other nutrients often missing from the average European's diet. So it was that, even though the shores of America abounded with spring-fed, clean water, European settlers would only drink it under duress - when beer or cider were unavailable.

In English colonies, the first buildings were communal, and one of the first buildings erected was the brewhouse. The vast majority of colonizing expeditions carried brewing equipment along, putting the copper kettles and cooperage to work in the community brewhouse within weeks of arrival. When farmsteads began to thread their ways into the countryside, the homesteaders took their brewing utensils along with them.

Lack of traditional ingredients did not deter the settlers from brewing and fermenting their favorite beverage. Should barley malt be in short supply, other sources of fermentable sugar were pressed into service - sometimes literally. Setting aside hard cider - which ran a close second fiddle to beer during the entire colonial period - beer was made from a variety of sugar sources.

"To Make Small Beer - Take a large Siffer [Sifter] full of Bran Hops to your Taste. -- Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall[ons] into a cooler put in 3 Gall[ons] Molasses while the Beer is Scalding hot or rather draw the Melasses into the cooler & St[r]ain the Beer on it while boiling Hot. let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quart of Yea[s]t if the Weather is very Cold cover it over with a Blank[et] & let it Work in the Cooler 24 hours then put it into the Cask -- leave the bung open till it is almost don[e] Working -- Bottle it that day Week it was Brewed." I redacted this for a 2 gallon batch (thankfully; dumping 5 gallons would have made me cry.)

There is more. found here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Beer

I think brewing should be used like a food with a twist. alcohol will increase phlegm,yellow bile and health but lower black bile ( only a very small amount) it should also effect combat (slightly) by making you more tipsy(i can't remember what it's actually called)

Here is what i picture brewing would be like. There should be 2 main types that were commonly made, beer and ciders

Beer:
Any wheat or barley. is mashed(milled)
put into a pot of Boiling water(pot or cauldron needed)
Add spices(native hop or some other plant for bitterness)
Placed in barrel to ferment.
two or three days later
you have a barrel of beer (100L)
Make clay jugs(from clay. Then fired)
each jug holds 5L of beer.

cider
Needs new plant. (apple tree)
get apples -> mash them in barrel
put into a pot of Boiling water(pot or cauldron needed)
Filter that somehow and put it back in the barrel(or a new one)
Ferment for 2-3 days
Same process as beer(use clay jugs)

As you can see brewing is a fairly involved process so i think we can make the products fairly good (10+ for beer, 5-6+ for cider) It will be a bit before new players will be able to reach this skill. For brewing i am thinking it would be two skills. ciders and beers. Make the cider skill the parent of beer skill. so
->cooking->cider->beer making

cider
pot's and pans 1700
spices 1000
Natural Philosophy 700
Sparks & Embers 700
Stocks & Cultivars 500

Beer making
Pots & Pans 2000
spices 1000
Natural Philosophy 1500
Stocks & Cultivars 1200
Sparks & Embers 700

Any thoughts?
sumofallwars

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:18 am

IIRC loftar has stated humour restoration is "too boring", though he did seem interested in a studying multiplier.
Ass_Kraken

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations