Some stuff should go this way

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Some stuff should go this way

Postby Killmorek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,
after 2nd character (full skills) 1 one old purity system and one on new server w/o purity I think I pretty found stuff which should go slightly another way and its right time for a bit of recounting.

What is better than before:
Combat is quite awesome and fun right now especially PVE is fun (PVP not I will talk about later)

Removed purity on food (although you can grow some stuff with some percentage of purity) this one is good simply because it creates soft cap on stats (70+) where grinding some of stats is starting to be extremely difficult which means that no-lifer can't grind stats endlessly to heavens and became almost impossible to defeat for common player with job and life

Rabbits, snakes are good addition to the game (although snakes are highly dangerous to most of players)

Other animals ultimates(mean special attacks) are right spice for PVE combat especially beavers one is funny (although is pulls all surrounding beavers and can easily kill you on mid range stats and lower.)

Walls are less pain to build due to granite stone

What is worse:
Well player owned stands in Boston delivered by first come first serve due to limited availability creates silver gap between traders who has this stand and those who has not, but I read somewhere this will change.

Official shop with silvers. Well I agree that devs must make money, but rate of USD/silvers is too high I don't think that there is actually other reason than support devs to buy some silvers in your shop, if it should work like that than OK why not I think I can agree with that, but if it really should make money the way of getting silvers in-game should be way harder or USD/silvers rate should be better. But anyway I think the best way how to make some $$ should be through micro-transaction model (god Id pay fortune for another backpack slot ,) of vanity stuff (and/or mounts, inventory, ...)

What is still bad:
Lime o' lime eats your life time. Well one needs lime for smelting iron, well OK why not one just needs to set up deed near mine and lime. One needs lime for agriculture (although I really think that after adding those 500+ lime per field should create very nice piece of desert ,). Both need pretty huge amount of lime, but you can have only 5 lime per stone of lime. This makes harvesting lime way bit too much time consuming. Well I don't this is main problem. Main problem is you need to terraform area around lime in no time and after while your lime deposit becomes worthless because you spend more time terraforming surround land than harvesting lime itself * this is mainly sooner or later when you need tons of lime for example to support village/town. My solution is simple: Lime mine it can works as iron mine works right now or it can be just building where you need to do something (turning a wheel for example) to harvest lime without deforming surrounding lands so the harvest time will be the same (if this life consuming time is intended) and lime deposit can support town/village/ mass producer for ever.

Personal claims should have upkeep, it does not needs to be brutal silver soak it think that 5s/ day with 150 deposit is more that OK. Well and I explain reason behind. Its simple player start to play Salem, creates claim, quits Salem and no other players has chance to claim his spot no matter how important can that spot can be (mine, lime, important transit spot and etc.). It is also small prevention for claim spamming (one players building many claims just to troll someone/group/ or anyone ,) or it just makes it harder.

U leave scents while you kill raider on your own claim. When someone crush your walls to steal from you, you cant defend yourself effectively (well KO raider who has full skills is no pain for him) without risking your own life cause you left scent there and they can crush walls again summon you and bye bye ... So you can't in total effect defend your stuff specially when someone is patient enough. Yes ofc if you KO him and let him lie there for a day but ... what prevents him out of roobing you while you are offline. You must have huge luck to catch a raider even bigged luck to kill him cause of combat system so why punishment when you just defend yourself?

Combat system (PVP) I want to see anyone who is able to KO anyone who just run away and moves zigzag I dont know if this is intended or not just pointing at it. Id let flintlock to slow one you hit cause its just for PVP tagging right now so it should help you to get closer to your target.

Rest does not need wall of text:

There are no bridges
We cant plant trees
There is no mining pickaxes (man Id kill for pickaxe)
Mines in water (I see bug in this)

For anyone who get it to this point thx for reading my suggestions
Kill
Killmorek

Re: Some stuff should go this way

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Please read and get involved in the forums before making huge posts like this because literally every point you've made has been raised and discussed a length.

But lemme fire up some retorts:

Better

1)Glad you like the new combat system

2)Purity on food isn't removed, and farms are just getting to the point that we're going to see insane multiplier foods.

3) Yay animals

4) Yay animals messing people up

5) Yay no more friggin' flint foraging

Worse

1) Been discussed at huge length. There has been at least 2 threads with heated debate

2) Also been discussed at huge length. They're aware at least of the problem, but Jorbtar don't control this, a financing division in Paradox does.

Still bad

1) Anyone who uses lime on fields is wasting their time. Lime mines have been suggested a million times before. And there are some lime mines in the world that are over a 1000 tiles in size.

2) Yes, they should. This has been mentioned as far back as pre-commercial alpha and loftar in IRC said they would at one point. The other issue you missed is that village claims seem completely useless since they have rent and are eventually more expensive than a simple Pclaim.

3) This works exactly like haven and is a design philosophy of Jorb's that every action is a crime towards other innately. Love or hate, I doubt they'll ever change it so there's no point complaining. Go read his pvp manifesto if you want.

4) Leap at changes this I've been told.

The Rest

1) Been suggested THIS WEEK

2) No shizzle sherlock, you don't think that hasn't come up a million times?

3) Yes, that's a pain in the ass. Ways to speed up chipping has been suggested.

4) Yes that bug has been reported.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Killmorek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Thx for reply
I don't think that slight summarizing is that bad

Anyone who uses lime on fields is wasting their time.

How you reach 800% + plenty?

2)Purity on food isn't removed, and farms are just getting to the point that we're going to see insane multiplier foods.

Yes but other resources have no purity and that creates that soft cap
Killmorek

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:46 pm

If you're going to summarize, you'd want to do it with links to the actual discussions as those are quite relevant. You also missed some notable issues if you're summing up the position players have currently with the game like client usability problems. And this isn't even the first summary post. Apologies if they're starting to get on my nerves.

You don't need 800% plenty fields unless you're pushing out products on a tiered field. Just get a decent S/C level and plant more fields. At 100 S/C I'd say you get on average +200% per 8 fields planted. If you're a hermit with 3 fields being all you can wall in, using lime is your only real option. But that doesn't make it the best option for everyone in the slightest. The majority of villages use the S/C bonus more fully by having 100+ fields to plant. S/C is a one time investment that produces benefits until that character is killed and it sure as hell beats digging lime.

Then purity isn't removed, it's just reduced in bonus value.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Killmorek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Sevenless wrote:If you're going to summarize, you'd want to do it with links to the actual discussions as those are quite relevant. You also missed some notable issues if you're summing up the position players have currently with the game like client usability problems. And this isn't even the first summary post. Apologies if they're starting to get on my nerves.

Well I guess there is the point where Id say sorry
so sorry for bothering then

Sevenless wrote:You don't need 800% plenty fields unless you're pushing out products on a tiered field. Just get a decent S/C level and plant more fields. At 100 S/C I'd say you get on average +200% per 8 fields planted. If you're a hermit with 3 fields being all you can wall in, using lime is your only real option. But that doesn't make it the best option for everyone in the slightest. The majority of villages use the S/C bonus more fully by having 100+ fields to plant. S/C is a one time investment that produces benefits until that character is killed and it sure as hell beats digging lime.

I prefer to maximize efficiency of fields in all the ways not just the least painful I feel that 10 fields with 800 plenty just produces more than 10 with 200 plenty but I might just be wrong

Anyway thx for comments I guess Id stop telling obvious then I just wanted ... U know Its beta ... to help and I'm pretty sure I won't try it again
Killmorek

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:49 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting you shouldn't post your suggestions - merely that it would be nice if more people looked at past suggestions before making their own. It can be frustrating reading the same suggestions made by dozens of different people - especially when what's being suggested has already been verified as planned (i.e. planting trees) several times.

Rather, take some time to search the forums to see if something has been suggested before posting (and if it has, either link to the thread in question or post your view in it). And if it hasn't, then by all means post your suggestions. Granted, you may still post the occasional idea that's been brought up either on paradox's forums on on HnH's forums and someone might chastise you for it, but it's always worth posting your ideas.
masau

Postby staxjax » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Nice post, but I dont think you understand farming and the purity mechanics that go hand in hand with farming very well. If you use lime on your fields, you will almost always have 0% pure harvest.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Killmorek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

staxjax wrote:Nice post, but I dont think you understand farming and the purity mechanics that go hand in hand with farming very well. If you use lime on your fields, you will almost always have 0% pure harvest.

Yes I do understand how it works one is maxing purity and something other is maxing plenty and that is what I am talking about but whatever (for sale obv)

For me its not necessary to keep on this conversation. Your attitude just don't suits me. Enjoy your lil sandbox I ll just keep playin
Killmorek

Postby Chiprel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Killmorek wrote:
staxjax wrote:Nice post, but I dont think you understand farming and the purity mechanics that go hand in hand with farming very well. If you use lime on your fields, you will almost always have 0% pure harvest.

Yes I do understand how it works one is maxing purity and something other is maxing plenty and that is what I am talking about but whatever (for sale obv)

For me its not necessary to keep on this conversation. Your attitude just don't suits me. Enjoy your lil sandbox I ll just keep playin

Sorry but that's not how it works ;)
'Influence' bar isn't for purity increase. It only makes you get higher TIERs of plants which have nothing to do with purity.
If I were you I would ask Staxjax for some tips ¦]
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby Uberness » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 am

Killmorek wrote:For me its not necessary to keep on this conversation. Your attitude just don't suits me. Enjoy your lil sandbox I ll just keep playin

if you don't like people disagreeing with you maybe you shouldn't post your opinions on the internet(sorry to troll but this needed to be said) ¦]
Uberness

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations