Justified Assault

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Justified Assault

Postby Uronoro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Basically what I am proposing is that if someone has a crime debuff active on their character, you should be able to assault them, possibly even murder them, without you dropping a scent that will eventually lead to your own summoning and death. Perhaps a scent can be dropped, but not a scent that can lead to you being summoned, much like a low level trespass scent.

Why I am proposing this is because with the way scents work right now, it is technically against the law to defend yourself, your group mates, or your property should another player prove themselves to either be a thief or an attacker by already initiating a crime (perhaps you should not be allowed to kill those who only trespass since its such a low level crime, maybe assault is okay but murder is not).

Now, this might just be because I live in the US because over here having a crime marked on you for defending yourself, others, or property is considered fairly ludicrous. I know very well that this is not the case in other countries. And I also know that Salem before the American Revolution was not yet severed from England.

But as you go back in history it is not uncommon for it not to be considered a crime if you raised a weapon in self defense or property. It was actually fairly norm.

I know all the Haven'ers and griefers will now murder me for having suggested this. But it had to be said. I do not like it that the game considers rightful defense a scentable crime.

Go ahead. Commence to murder me.
Uronoro

Re: Justified Assault

Postby Superiodity » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Well.. I know it's just a game but logic determines that killing someone (even if it is self defence - manslaughter) would still be seen as a crime.
Knocking someone out is a bit harder to judge though, plenty of people get knocked out in fights and it's not classified as a crime (mainly when they know each other) but if you do it to just a random stranger and it's for no reason then of course it's assault.

So maybe you're onto something but different people will have different opinions on the matter.
Superiodity

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Uronoro wrote:Basically what I am proposing is that if someone has a crime debuff active on their character, you should be able to assault them, possibly even murder them, without you dropping a scent that will eventually lead to your own summoning and death.

That is sort of how The Darkfall system worked.
This led to players who would run up to you while you were fighting others players or npcs - trying to get you to accidentally hit them - which would flag you temporarily allowing anyone to attack and kill you with no consequences. It was not terrible - you just had to be aware what was happening around you.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Slim
Customer

Postby Uronoro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Superiodity wrote:So maybe you're onto something but different people will have different opinions on the matter.

I'm certainly aware of that. Anyone who currently plays Salem for fun as a full time criminal thief/griefer would not like the idea of not being able to track and kill those who have enacted justice on them. They will claim my suggestion kills the game for them and makes it unbalanced so that its too hard to be a criminal.

Its just my ears are a bit deaf to that argument. But let them say it in this thread, better for the devs to judge.

I just want to defend myself and my claim without getting marked as a criminal, dagnabbit. :|
Uronoro

Postby Uronoro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Slim wrote:
Uronoro wrote:Basically what I am proposing is that if someone has a crime debuff active on their character, you should be able to assault them, possibly even murder them, without you dropping a scent that will eventually lead to your own summoning and death.

That is sort of how The Darkfall system worked.
This led to players who would run up to you while you were fighting others players or npcs - trying to get you to accidentally hit them - which would flag you temporarily allowing anyone to attack and kill you with no consequences. It was not terrible - you just had to be aware what was happening around you.

I would be willing to risk that exploitation... you just have to not be too click-happy with your weapons. But that is a good point.
Uronoro

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:01 am

Superiodity wrote:Well.. I know it's just a game but logic determines that killing someone (even if it is self defence - manslaughter) would still be seen as a crime.
Knocking someone out is a bit harder to judge though, plenty of people get knocked out in fights and it's not classified as a crime (mainly when they know each other) but if you do it to just a random stranger and it's for no reason then of course it's assault.

So maybe you're onto something but different people will have different opinions on the matter.

I believe you can currently KO someone else without getting a scent as long as they attacked you first? I wouldn't have a problem with being able to KO someone who has a scent without punishment. But killing...that should leave a scent. At most a decrease in the duration of the scent for murder the murdered individual had a scent.
masau

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:54 am

i believe attacking back does not leave scents.
not sure about KOing, as for killing, devs opinion in Haven was that "the system does not judge", i think.
even in your country, i doubt a planned revenge murder would make you innocent.

Uronoro wrote:I know all the Haven'ers and griefers will now murder me for having suggested this. But it had to be said. I do not like it that the game considers rightful defense a scentable crime.

this comment alone is annoying, not the thread.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Dallane » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 am

lol wont happen dunno why we are still talking about this.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Uronoro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 am

Dallane wrote:lol wont happen dunno why we are still talking about this.

Because there is no rule to say I can not. I'm not sure what you mean by "still" talking, this thread has hardly left the first page. If you disagree then at least leave a few of your reasonings to make your post seem less spammy and trollish.
Uronoro

Postby Uronoro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:
Uronoro wrote:I know all the Haven'ers and griefers will now murder me for having suggested this. But it had to be said. I do not like it that the game considers rightful defense a scentable crime.

this comment alone is annoying, not the thread.

How so? Have I been ill-informed on the general disposition of haveners and griefers or is defending one's self annoying? :|

I was unaware that attacking back did not leave a scent. I was under the impression that an assault scent would be dropped.
Uronoro

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations