Justified Assault

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Justified Assault

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Arillious wrote:Perhaps you should be able to arrest someone instead of killing them(KO and arrest)? Would obviously have to be thought out, IE where do you bring them once arrested and what happens.

Once arrested you construct a simple crucifix, 4 nails and a crown of thorns.
Superiodity

Postby Shoi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Arillious wrote:Perhaps you should be able to arrest someone instead of killing them(KO and arrest)? Would obviously have to be thought out, IE where do you bring them once arrested and what happens.

I think it would actually be somewhat comical to have cages or a prison in Boston with signs of their crimes with them.
Shoi

Postby milonti » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Shoi wrote:

I think it would actually be somewhat comical to have cages or a prison in Boston with signs of their crimes with them.

this has been discussed a few times before, but not for a long damn time. I might rewrite my Justice and Jailhouses thread at somepoint...
milonti

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 pm

This thread was made out of the hope that self defense of body and property will be taken under consideration as non-crimes.

As I said, it's a great and valid point for *other* games. Jorb will never tolerate that in his game. I'm fully aware of how stubborn Jorbtar are over these things and I'm not even going to begin to bother arguing with them over something I don't consider to be absolutely crucial for the game's existence. I'm not even fully sure I agree with you over murder. Self Defense KO being unscented sounds fine, but murder? Heck no.

As for cages and imprisonment and whatnot, sure, it'd be hilarious. It wouldn't get used much by "serious" pvp factions, but it'd be a fun and atmospheric addition all the same. Not terribly high on my priority list if I was telling them what to make though since we're still missing pretty legit mechanics entirely. Either way that's been brought up many times by now (once here, ad naseum in pre-commercial).
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Arillious » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Sevenless wrote:
This thread was made out of the hope that self defense of body and property will be taken under consideration as non-crimes.

As I said, it's a great and valid point for *other* games. Jorb will never tolerate that in his game. I'm fully aware of how stubborn Jorbtar are over these things and I'm not even going to begin to bother arguing with them over something I don't consider to be absolutely crucial for the game's existence. I'm not even fully sure I agree with you over murder. Self Defense KO being unscented sounds fine, but murder? Heck no.

As for cages and imprisonment and whatnot, sure, it'd be hilarious. It wouldn't get used much by "serious" pvp factions, but it'd be a fun and atmospheric addition all the same. Not terribly high on my priority list if I was telling them what to make though since we're still missing pretty legit mechanics entirely. Either way that's been brought up many times by now (once here, ad naseum in pre-commercial).

If it was a way to seek revenge without leaving scents, people would do it. For lesser crimes, the prisoner would likely be able to pay a fine to get released. Not sure about greater crimes, maybe its up to the captors.

This wouldn't only be something for people seeking revenge, this could be used by others to hold people hostage for ransom.

I agree this should not be a high priority, but we can still discuss lower priority "Nice to haves" here.
Arillious

Postby MrEllu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 am

Intresting thread, I think it is ok, if you by defending yourself KO the attacker it is fine that it does not leave a scent, But I think murder should always leave a summonable scent, If you destroy someone's character permanently, even if they attacked you first, scent should be dropped, to preserve the neutrality of the crime system, (people make their own laws when killing people leaves always a scent)

I know people react a little badly when it comes to these kinds of suggestions, mainly because many of us come from haven and have played and loved that game, criminal system here is similar to the one there, they just don't like the ideas of changing it too much. and then the second reason: It can also be because there has been threads by people who got killed and start making quite frankly stupid suggestions (they have a right to make them as I have the right to call them idiots). But this was a good thread, although it did not agree with you about the murder.
MrEllu

Postby JeffGV » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:33 am

MrEllu wrote:Intresting thread, I think it is ok, if you by defending yourself KO the attacker it is fine that it does not leave a scent, But I think murder should always leave a summonable scent, If you destroy someone's character permanently, even if they attacked you first, scent should be dropped, to preserve the neutrality of the crime system, (people make their own laws when killing people leaves always a scent)

I know people react a little badly when it comes to these kinds of suggestions, mainly because many of us come from haven and have played and loved that game, criminal system here is similar to the one there, they just don't like the ideas of changing it too much. and then the second reason: It can also be because there has been threads by people who got killed and start making quite frankly stupid suggestions (they have a right to make them as I have the right to call them idiots). But this was a good thread, although it did not agree with you about the murder.

Problem is, the whole system is already flawed by the existence and extensive use of alts. It is pointless to talk about "destroying character permanently" when they're used like tools and made so that only those "chars" do criminal things while the other "chars" (with all the non-criminal activities) can be preserved.
Since there's no way to avoid that from a game design standpoint, people use them. That doesn't mean that this is how the game should be played. A true permadeath game should allow you one char, and one alone. And those who play the game as it should be are extremely penalized by similiar choices. Cause if someone steals from you, even if you find it KO in the claim, you are in a loss either way. You must pay someone else to kill it (and he'll probably use an alt char) or you'll have to kill it yourself (and get your char killed by another alt).
Basically, there's no real consequence for criminal actions with alts. The only ones at loss are the defenders, especially if they don't use alts.
The current system would have sense if it wasn't possible to have alts. As it is now, it is meaningless and greatly favour alt-criminals.
JeffGV

Postby MrEllu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:09 pm

JeffGV wrote:
MrEllu wrote:Intresting thread, I think it is ok, if you by defending yourself KO the attacker it is fine that it does not leave a scent, But I think murder should always leave a summonable scent, If you destroy someone's character permanently, even if they attacked you first, scent should be dropped, to preserve the neutrality of the crime system, (people make their own laws when killing people leaves always a scent)

Problem is, the whole system is already flawed by the existence and extensive use of alts. It is pointless to talk about "destroying character permanently" when they're used like tools and made so that only those "chars" do criminal things while the other "chars" (with all the non-criminal activities) can be preserved.
Since there's no way to avoid that from a game design standpoint, people use them. That doesn't mean that this is how the game should be played. A true permadeath game should allow you one char, and one alone. And those who play the game as it should be are extremely penalized by similiar choices. Cause if someone steals from you, even if you find it KO in the claim, you are in a loss either way. You must pay someone else to kill it (and he'll probably use an alt char) or you'll have to kill it yourself (and get your char killed by another alt).
Basically, there's no real consequence for criminal actions with alts. The only ones at loss are the defenders, especially if they don't use alts.
The current system would have sense if it wasn't possible to have alts. As it is now, it is meaningless and greatly favour alt-criminals.

Yes, I agree alts are problematic, I don't really know what, if anything can be done about that, I don't think devs are eager to just limit chars to 1 per account. but yeah, it favours alt-criminals, when you have enough stuff it is easy just to make a player killer griefing alt just for that purpose. But still, I don't really like the idea of murdering someone and leaving no scents. You cannot really justify that with "people use player killer alts" because not everyone uses them, only some people do. but yeah, I see your point.
MrEllu

Postby Dallane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:11 pm

alts are nothing. if we are limited to 1 character per account there is still nothing from multiaccounts or having a town feed a character. You obv are not out there fighting if you are worried about alt abuse.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Uronoro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm

One other suggestion: legal duels. Again, I'm not completely clear on what drops scents and when, but what if two players wanted to duke it out for fun (whether you trust this person or not is your call)? "Duels" would be for brief fighting, whether it ends in a KO or not, but never in a murder or a scent will be dropped.

This is to prevent two friends having fun hacking at each other from dropping scents and getting summoned by a passerby who may later pick up the scent and think it is an actual crime instead of just friendly rough housing.

It would just require participants to enter a "duel" mode. Much like how we have an 'en garde' mode. By entering this mode, you are basically giving another person who is also in this mode legal permission to attack and KO you without legal scent consequence.
Uronoro

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations