World object's placeholder. (loading)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

World object's placeholder. (loading)

Postby MvGulik » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Think a general (3d-world object) placeholder, for not yet loaded world objects, is not a bad thing.
MvGulik

Re: World object's placeholder. (loading)

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm

MvGulik wrote:Think a general (3d-world object) placeholder, for not yet loaded world objects, is not a bad thing.

...err....for what now? I've no idea what you mean.
milonti

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Same, I've never seen things that took time to load or needed placeholders in this game.
Is it a problem that people with slow computers/internet connection have?
Superiodity

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Define "slow computer" and "slow internet". The problem is that you can't define what a slow computer is for this situation nor slow internet. After all, the game supports OpenGL 1.4... that version spec is about 10 years old now. I've had times when I'm completely loaded within about 30-45 sec, other times I've seen it take 3-5 minutes. I'm on a 2.0 GHz AMD Athlon XP w/ 1GB RAM and a AGP video card. Can't get much slower computer than that.... (yes, you can... I perform better than some of the notebooks that are a couple of years newer, but that's really beside the point.)

With the current situation, I think this is a good idea, however, I don't think it's the right fix for the problem.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Define "slow computer" and "slow internet". The problem is that you can't define what a slow computer is for this situation nor slow internet. After all, the game supports OpenGL 1.4... that version spec is about 10 years old now. I've had times when I'm completely loaded within about 30-45 sec, other times I've seen it take 3-5 minutes. I'm on a 2.0 GHz AMD Athlon XP w/ 1GB RAM and a AGP video card. Can't get much slower computer than that.... (yes, you can... I perform better than some of the notebooks that are a couple of years newer, but that's really beside the point.)

With the current situation, I think this is a good idea, however, I don't think it's the right fix for the problem.

I'd define a slow internet connection as anything under 1-2mbps, and a slow computer as anything that falls into the "low end spec" department (if that makes sense?)
Since you know what he means and say that things sometimes take 30-45/3-5 minutes then it might have something to do with one of those two things or it might not, but you can't really rule it out just because it runs on openGL 1.4.
Superiodity

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes, but my point is to get some definitions instead of just trying to use some relational comments that have absolutely no baseline. He could mean "slow computer" compared to his blazing fast 8 core dual processor 32GB machine with quad video card workstation (and yet it could potentially take just as long for that system to load as my 8 yr old hunk of junk) Do any of us really know how long the anticipated load time for the scene is on first boot-up?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Not sure how else I could of rephrased my question, maybe "Is it your computer/internet that's causing world objects to load slow for you or does it load slow for everyone and I'm just not noticing it?"
But I guess without testing it on multiple computers that's not a question he could answer..
Superiodity

Postby Ass_Kraken » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Do you mean when you enter a new map and it shows that "loading" screen in black for a couple seconds? I'm pretty sure most of that is loading the terrain.

As someone with dial-up it only takes about 1-2 minutes for my place to load when I first log in and I'm pretty sure it's just the map there too.
Ass_Kraken

Postby MvGulik » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:37 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I don't think it's the right fix for the problem.

Where talking invisible objects here. (temporary, but with a random/unknown time range.) (ignoring possible detection by walking into them.)
Why do you think this would not be the right solution ?
What other solution do you have in mind ?

MagicManICT wrote:Do any of us really know how long the anticipated load time for the scene is on first boot-up?

Probably not. The fact that the game uses(by design) internet loaded game data, means to me you can never be sure about the loading time. (Ergo: deferred loading for none directly needed world/game objects/items.)
MvGulik

Postby Uberness » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 am

I have a pretty decent computer(not really upper tier but better than your average mid quality), I have fairly normal speed internet(not superfast but fast enough) and I've had objects that didn't load as they should. sometimes you can see a weird terrain texture where some foragables should be but the foragables won't load until you log in and out a few times...and of course sometimes that means they go poof :(

I thought it was a bug at first and even posted about it HERE. I think hes referring to issues like that where theres an object there, but it doesn't load properly so you can't interact with it. he wants a placeholder so you can interact with the object, be it foragable or a blocking item so you don't just have to leave it/walk over it when its actually there, just not showing up!

and though this could cause even more issues its probably the best workaround for it for now...
Uberness

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations