World object's placeholder. (loading)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: World object's placeholder. (loading)

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 am

MvGulik wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:I don't think it's the right fix for the problem.

Where talking invisible objects here. (temporary, but with a random/unknown time range.) (ignoring possible detection by walking into them.)
Why do you think this would not be the right solution ?
What other solution do you have in mind ?

I was thinking along the lines of pretty much every other game out there: the game isn't playable until the initial scene (or at least the UI) is completely loaded. This would eliminate this problem as well as not having a character sitting there for X seconds (or minutes) able to be ganked. (I could be completely wrong on this last part... haven't had a chance to really test it, though.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby MvGulik » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

Uberness wrote:I thought it was a bug at first and even posted about it HERE. I think hes referring to issues like that where theres an object there, but it doesn't load properly so you can't interact with it. he wants a placeholder so you can interact with the object, be it foragable or a blocking item so you don't just have to leave it/walk over it when its actually there, just not showing up!

and though this could cause even more issues its probably the best workaround for it for now...

No, I'm not revering to the additional side effect that you can't interact with a world object that are not loaded yet. A placeholder will not do anything for that (not there job either). Placeholders, in my mind, are just world-GUI feedback items. ("There is a object here, that's waiting to be loaded") Nothing more or less.
... Asking first is better than assuming by default ...

MagicManICT wrote:I was thinking along the lines of pretty much every other game out there: the game isn't playable until the initial scene (or at least the UI) is completely loaded. This would eliminate this problem as well as not having a character sitting there for X seconds (or minutes) able to be ganked. (I could be completely wrong on this last part... haven't had a chance to really test it, though.

Not sure about this 'waiting for a complete initial loaded state' before allowing the player/character to enter the world, at this moment. In a perfect RL world, sure. But I'm assuming this will potentially become a more prominent problem(loading time) with higher player counts.

(player count: Considering the number of beta keys that must be floating around, I'm kinda wondering about the apparent consistent low online player count. ~(200 +/-100))
MvGulik

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

MvGulik wrote:Not sure about this 'waiting for a complete initial loaded state' before allowing the player/character to enter the world, at this moment. In a perfect RL world, sure. But I'm assuming this will potentially become a more prominent problem(loading time) with higher player counts.

Well, it is "the way things are done" in nearly every other MMO. PvP games make this especially necessary for two reasons: 1) the people already on the board shouldn't know you're coming seconds to minutes before you actually pop up on the screen, it gives too much advantage; 2) the flip side of that coin--the person coming in will be at a serious disadvantage if the area of entrance is hostile and especially if said player/character is one of the intended targets. I'm not going to say "the way things are done" is a very good argument because its not. The underlying reasons are the exceptionally well discussed arguments and the reason for "the way things are done." It's always been one of my beefs with HnH (and I've died more than once because of this) and even going to the point of using trash alts to be login fodder just in case of raids.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations