Bringing fishing to a new height

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Bringing fishing to a new height

Postby thl111 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:00 pm

So we have fishing rods and various types of baits but as in my experience, the amount of fish caught in a trip isn't great to support a settlement of 3 or more players. I suggest that future boats can be upgraded with fishing nets and/or other types of fishing tools. The mechanic will be the same as fishing with rods but more fish caught with net. Another suggestion is to leave fishing nets/ lines overnight or 8 hours. After that, players can retrieve it. The amount of fish caught is random if using this method. Each net/line is only retrieved by the one who casted it and each player has a limit of how many net/line to cast a day.
We make sword stone for keeper and pull they do it and excalibur come out. have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword. -Moniker (Anarchy online)
thl111

Re: Bringing fishing to a new height

Postby Superiodity » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 pm

I like the idea of fishing nets that passively catch fish, maybe frontier and wilderness can effect how many fish you randomly catch a bit like stocks and cultivars adds random plenty.
Superiodity

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Either way we look at it, most fishing recipes need a buff compared to how hard they are to make of current. One metal bar net me 16 fish, 5 of which were rare (4 tuna, 1 halibut) ala stick spinner at 4000 Fronts/Wild. Considering how expensive iron is, I'd really need at least 10-15 rare fish per bar to even possibly make it worth my time. And I don't want to have to catch/release 45 common fish to do it. Now I'm no fishing expert, and possibly a better location would net me more rare fish but everyone seems to get similar results.

Anyway, I'm kinda figuring something new with regards to this will come out with boats. We shall see.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dallane » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Sevenless wrote:Either way we look at it, most fishing recipes need a buff compared to how hard they are to make of current. One metal bar net me 16 fish, 5 of which were rare (4 tuna, 1 halibut) ala stick spinner at 4000 Fronts/Wild. Considering how expensive iron is, I'd really need at least 10-15 rare fish per bar to even possibly make it worth my time. And I don't want to have to catch/release 45 common fish to do it. Now I'm no fishing expert, and possibly a better location would net me more rare fish but everyone seems to get similar results.

Anyway, I'm kinda figuring something new with regards to this will come out with boats. We shall see.

Fishing def isn't worth it at all. Much better to head out and forage to get x3 of what food you were fishing for.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Uberness » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 am

as to OP idea, if you leave a net unnatended anyone who comes along should be able to take it, if its on a claim of course this should leave scents and require the correct skills. I'm not going to pitch any ideas about the fishing system because it has me confused(I get lucky and catch a fish 1:3 bites) but I will say there needs to be a better system.

and drying fish shouldn't take 2 days!
Uberness

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 pm

I've been trying to sell the code-gnome on nets for a very long time, with moderate success. I shall have my way, eventually.
jorb

Postby staxjax » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Now that we have boats, you could do something along the lines of drift nets. A tool only usable from a boat, that would allow the player to drag the net behind the boat to catch fish. Different tiers of nets would have different mesh sizes, that would also correspond with the already implemented fishing nodes. It would take much knowledge to master drifting, as you would have to test many differents nets and know where the fish reside to catch them with any particular mesh size.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:37 pm

staxjax wrote:Now that we have boats, you could do something along the lines of drift nets. A tool only usable from a boat, that would allow the player to drag the net behind the boat to catch fish. Different tiers of nets would have different mesh sizes, that would also correspond with the already implemented fishing nodes. It would take much knowledge to master drifting, as you would have to test many differents nets and know where the fish reside to catch them with any particular mesh size.

Did old-school drifting damage the wildlife like we do nowadays or does that only apply on an industrial scale?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:17 pm

I also support the idea of getting massive amount of fish by doing nothing.
ElCapitan1701

Postby staxjax » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:Did old-school drifting damage the wildlife like we do nowadays or does that only apply on an industrial scale?

What do you mean old school...the natives still do it around where I live on the for commercial salmon fishing in the rivers ;p
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations