Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Bridges

Postby alagar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 am

Please do them.
REMOVE STALLS!
alagar

Re: Bridges

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:20 am

Already working on it. Bridges are basically a way for a player to convert a water tile to a land tile. I won't go into too much more detail than that, but its in the works.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby alagar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:22 am

Holy crap that was fast. Love you :3
REMOVE STALLS!
alagar

Postby neored9 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:25 am

JohnCarver wrote:Already working on it. Bridges are basically a way for a player to convert a water tile to a land tile. I won't go into too much more detail than that, but its in the works.

I recall Jorb or Loftar saying that bridges weren't possible due to fluid mechanics or something to do with the way tiles are controlled. Are you calling them lazy assholes, and if so lol?
neored9

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 am

neored9 wrote:I recall Jorb or Loftar saying that bridges weren't possible due to fluid mechanics or something to do with the way tiles are controlled. Are you calling them lazy assholes, and if so lol?

From my time with Jorb & Loftar I have realized that they much prefer a more formal and elegant implementation opposed to our mentality at times to get the desired effect by any means possible. I don't want to speak for their behalf but if I were to guess they were more interested in bridges that had traditional Z axis height so that canoes could pass under them along with all the other nice-things that would come with a correct and thorough implementation. It could be our naive viewpoint or inexperience, but we care more about the end-result which is in this case getting from point A (one side of the river) to point B (the other side of the river). Therefore, Our solution is to simply turn the river tiles into "bridge" tiles and be done with it. All our talks with JLo lead us to believe this is possible, but probably nothing like the real bridges they were probably envisioning when they made that statement.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby neored9 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:58 am

JohnCarver wrote: JLo

RIP Jorbtar
neored9

Postby DarkNacht » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:07 am

JohnCarver wrote:he end-result which is in this case getting from point A (one side of the river) to point B (the other side of the river). Therefore, Our solution is to simply turn the river tiles into "bridge" tiles and be done with it.

Will you still be able to take boats 'under' the 'bridge'?
DarkNacht

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 am

DarkNacht wrote:Will you still be able to take boats 'under' the 'bridge'?

Nope. It will make perfect sense as to why when you see what our solution was for this.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby ImpalerWrG » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 am

Even it if 'makes sense' doing it that way is just going to screw people in boats. Just create a whole new tile type then let boats AND land vehicles move on it so it will be functionally equivalent to the idealized Z-axis bridge we have all wanted. Graphically it could looks like a pontoon bridge made from barrels and planks, which would explain it's flatness and we can just hand-wave away how boats move over it.
ImpalerWrG

Postby Darwoth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:29 am

make floating barges that can be destroyed like a wall, maybe you can pile dirt on them creating a berm and before they can be damaged directly you have to dig all the dirt off and throw it in the water :lol: :lol:
Darwoth

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations