Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Postby ShadowTani » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:The business model is still in the works but it's always easier to start high and then slowly descending if needed. I agree that the silver price is high now, and if we lower it in the future we'll of course make sure early buyers get their share.

As for what is sold in the store; it will get expanded - a lot. "Premium" items, being premium in the way of costing a lot of silver, will be added as time goes.

Yeah, this is what I meant and I'm glad to hear you guys been thinking along the same lines. :3 And I'm sorry for cluttering my post with all those suggestions - couldn't help myself, outlining business models is a passion of mine (and this is the suggestions forum anyway, sooo..), lol. ^^;
ShadowTani

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:49 pm

I think paradox should aim on macromanagment rather then on single items. Idea with silver-based claims is perfect.

P.S. I wrote big message with my thoughts about prices in thread wich was started by Moo and then deleted so fast =\ Don't want to do it one more time!
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm

ShadowTani wrote:
TotalyMoo wrote:The business model is still in the works but it's always easier to start high and then slowly descending if needed. I agree that the silver price is high now, and if we lower it in the future we'll of course make sure early buyers get their share.

As for what is sold in the store; it will get expanded - a lot. "Premium" items, being premium in the way of costing a lot of silver, will be added as time goes.

Yeah, this is what I meant and I'm glad to hear you guys been thinking along the same lines. :3 And I'm sorry for cluttering my post with all those suggestions - couldn't help myself, outlining business models is a passion of mine (and this is the suggestions forum anyway, sooo..), lol. ^^;

No reason to say sorry! All suggestions are read and considered. I have linked this thread to people around Paradox for feedback.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby ThePured » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Just though of this but... Can't you only hold like 100 silver per inventory slot...? If so you can't even carry 5000 silver, There is no way unless you buy 10 purses, I actually agree with the idea to make a bank....
jorb wrote:Oh not this **** again. I'm going to make it so that animals turn into fire breathing ***** dragons every time they come into base contact with a ***** signpost. Graaaah!
ThePured

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:58 pm

ThePured wrote:Just though of this but... Can't you only hold like 100 silver per inventory slot...? If so you can't even carry 5000 silver, There is no way unless you buy 10 purses, I actually agree with the idea to make a bank....

Or bigger bags of silver that you can store at home. Like a barrel for storing oatmeal.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby five9 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 pm

as it stands right now , there is no incentive to purchase silver at its current rate
Many many ways to accomplish this...

The price of silver and availability to earn it in game needs a better balance... lower/higher buy/sell prices..rareness of drops etc.

Boston stall with more items of necessarily... seeds and 3 iron bars (the only things currently required to advance further ??, but once a player or few have this, the in-game economy turns the tide) ... from what i've read, this is expected in the future... the rest just seem to be perks that one truly doesn't need

And another idea, might be something along the lines of the Bibles sold for silver in Boston having no diminishing returns when used....that alone could bring silver prices in line with HUGE incentive as things currently stand.
example: Sure right now non-paying players can sell things and earn silver, level skills..etc ... but not at the pace of buying silver for real $ to get something with no penalty.

I understood one of Brother Beans past comments on why the learning ability would be put into place was to prevent players from using the same items over and over to level, to mix it up and I assume create a challenge and slow the pace.... well right there is something of an incentive one could research into a fair way to charge for.

i like Moo's idea of bigger purses, a bigger backpack would be nice to :) perhaps a weapon with +yellow bile ?

All in all, it needs incentive to get players to buy silver for $ and the ideas are countless, i look forward to seeing how it all turns out.
five9

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Company bacon is never bought I'm almost 99.9% certain.

Is there an in game tracking program to find out what is being purchased from the shops? I'm assuming so, but if not I'd heavily suggest it so you can figure out what is popular and what isn't. Another potential program to consider is a trade barrel tracker. Just a program that logs what is put in and taken out of barrels coupled with a way to analyze that data. Considering that's how +95% of inter-town trading is likely done, knowing what is being traded and for how much silver is pretty critical to the analysis of the economy.

Of course that could already have been done. It's not something a player can see obviously.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Alxe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 am

The problem I see with the current cash:silver exchange is that it could possibly kill the market, flooding it with lots of silver and thus lowering the prices. A hunter can grind for beavers' pelts and mass-dry them, selling them for 12s/u. Taking into consideration that the minimal payment is $2, and that just yields 20s, it's simply loss of cash.

I don't think introducing an additional currency is a good idea, but I wouldn't reject the idea. For example, the upcoming Guild Wars 2. It's a buy-once game with a micropayments store for cosmetic items/powerups. The IG currency is gold/silver/copper, and the RM currency are gems. You can exchange money for gems, and the other way around, which is good, but can still kill the market. The lil' bit here is that gems are actually a gold sink, seeing you can trade a variable amount of gold for gems.

Having Silver as IG currency and, say, Gold as RM currency would let people purchase cosmetics/writings/curiosities without having to rely on in-game currency, and still let those F2P players grind for gold and achieve same items would be nice.
Alxe

Postby staxjax » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 am

the silver you purchase goes to the bank, therefore if you purchase 5000s you wont have to figure out where to put it all...not to mention your investment is safe until you decide to use it.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby painhertz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Have to add my nod to silver prices being a tad ridiculous. My advice? Look at the monthly price of other non-AAA MMorpg titles, like Runescape and what have you, figure out the silver equivalent to $7.99 to $10.00 a month and make that the standard. I sell one Savage charm, get 35 silver and you "charge" $2.00 American for 20 silver? **** man, hook up a real money trading section Ala Diablo 3 and my ass could live on just playing this game.......
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations