Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm generating ~25s per hour right now while grinding my character. I'm really against a game that is purely player input based coin. Economies like Wurm are a good example of why not to do that (noobs get hard shafted if they don't pay),

As for the point: Yes, ingame silver fountains are unchanged. What we are pointing out is that the silver cost $ wise is out of line considering what can be earned in game right now. And that's perfectly valid, no need to be upset, type of observation.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby kabuto202 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 pm

EVE is a counter example for when that system works well. Granted it's not direct ISK for money, but you're buying a PLEX (Which is used to extend your subscription) so you could essentially pay $20 for about 450 mil ISK. While I haven't played Wurm online, maybe it's really just a matter of setting the right price. If noobs are getting screwed for not paying than the system is counter-productive, because the entire point of an efficient cash shop is to help new players catch up or skip certain aspects of the game.
kabuto202

Postby Schro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 am

Sevenless wrote:I'm generating ~25s per hour right now while grinding my character. I'm really against a game that is purely player input based coin. Economies like Wurm are a good example of why not to do that (noobs get hard shafted if they don't pay)

Well money won't help you though.
In salem, too, those pioneers end up being excelling-at-everything-superhumans, killing bears one on one and bashing in palisades with pure muscle strength.
New players will set up their places and sooner or later those super-humans will take a visit, tearing down their work of weeks or months without an effort and there is exactly nothing they can do about it. Thats also the main downside I see to this game.
Schro

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:28 am

In EVE, you have to play at least 3-4 months before you can reliably generate that much a month... (man, remember when it was 150M per 30 day time card). However, it is a sub based game with escalating content. PLEX are a convenience for players with too much ISK and not really meant to replace the sub.

In a couple of other f2p games I play, new players can start off and within a week or so be able to start getting what the subs or those that buy the game currency get. There are learning curves, of course, and that's part of what it takes to start actually being involved in the game.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:52 am

Schro wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I'm generating ~25s per hour right now while grinding my character. I'm really against a game that is purely player input based coin. Economies like Wurm are a good example of why not to do that (noobs get hard shafted if they don't pay)

Well money won't help you though.
In salem, too, those pioneers end up being excelling-at-everything-superhumans, killing bears one on one and bashing in palisades with pure muscle strength.
New players will set up their places and sooner or later those super-humans will take a visit, tearing down their work of weeks or months without an effort and there is exactly nothing they can do about it. Thats also the main downside I see to this game.

If you remember early beta world, the faction I was running were the "superhumans" tearing places apart. Defence is about discouragement (as opposed to complete prevention) and proper allocation of money into defence (brazzers) compared to comfort (cabinets).
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Droj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

I easy enough once you have the skills, even slacking getting at least 1 cricket team / hour.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby radkid1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

cost of Company Bacon 45 silver ;/ i say cut down to 1 or 5 silver
make Coin Purses free
add Metal axe to shop
lower cost of Rattler Serum or cut down rattler snakes 2~7 snakes in party all attack not fun for you and me
add Clothes
lower cost of Nails to 10silver
Image Image
radkid1

Postby ShadowTani » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Droj wrote:I easy enough once you have the skills, even slacking getting at least 1 cricket team / hour.

I agree, once you have the skills grinding for 1k silver doesn't become particularly hard with some patience. In my last game I had about 10 skins and three cricket teams and two savage charms to sell each day (playing from late afternoon to late evening only) and I didn't even have all skills, my best tool for that was my saber and fencing abilities - at the very end I also started making leather which would added to the daily value. That means considering buying 1k silver for $100 becomes ridiculous other than for supporting the developers. I tend to use in-game shops, but I don't buy if it's not a need, and I don't buy pity. I also work with economy and administration in real life so I get itchy when I see business models like this, lol. xD

My point is, the current prices are scaled based on current product prices - and the current products are mostly in-game objects that players can make themselves, and a few uniques. It doesn't look like you developers have been considering future cash shop products at all based on it? I dunno what direction you want to go with the cash shop though - but I know things like inventory expansions, larger backpacks, decent vanity items, cute pets and so forth do sell rather well in other MMO's. I'd pay for a cuter (slimmer and less grim) character model myself, lol. Special resources like marble for special structures like churches could be considered too. Also in a game with perma death people would really go nuts for clone vouchers or what to call it, and more high tier inspirationals too. I can imagine people pay the full $100 for a clone voucher. However, such an option would be very unpopular with the non-paying players (because they would feel forced to get one somehow), but it would guarantee you a decent cash flow. The silver amount (or maybe introduce gold for these special tier items?) should have been scaled with these future items in mind.

Other MMO's have regular in-game money which is often 100 times less worth than the cash shop currency while the cash shop currency is like ten times less worth than real life currency, Salem now have in-game money that is worth ten times less than real life currency (at best), that's crazy! I'm sorry guys, but I like your game and want to see you make a profit on your hard work. I'm not suggesting to copy the rates of other MMO's however. I get the impression you have the noble intention to have all products grindable for everyone - in such a scenario keeping in-game currency (silver) 100 times less worth than real life currency would be more appropriate, then higher price "cash shop" items, like 1500 silver (or 150 gold) for an unique (non-craftable) larger backpack (twice the size of the current one) would have a decent balance between what is acceptable to grind to wards and the value you get for your real life money. My point is that you shouldn't have a cash shop value you can grind towards in just a day or two which is the case for the current craftable backpack.

And it shouldn't be too hard to compensate those who have already bought silver. If you increase the silver amount with ten times or introduce gold, just add the remaining 9 times of what it was - i.e. if a player have bought 1000 silver ($100) add additional 9k silver to their account, or 900 gold. :3

Edit: Obs! I see the prices have been changed from 1k to 5k silver at $100. xD I didn't get to check before now due to the game being down before. It's still a 1:10 ratio at the lowest though, and a 1:50 ratio at the highest. Somewhat close still between in-game and real-life currency, but it's at least better than before. :3 I'm curious to see what kinda products you have planned to attract me to buy silver though. ;3 Because at the moment, there's nothing I couldn't grind to wards. There should be some cash shop tier products - and at the moment only the town charter qualify for that tier.
Last edited by ShadowTani on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowTani

Postby ShadowTani » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:54 pm

radkid1 wrote:cost of Company Bacon 45 silver ;/ i say cut down to 1 or 5 silver
make Coin Purses free
add Metal axe to shop
lower cost of Rattler Serum or cut down rattler snakes 2~7 snakes in party all attack not fun for you and me
add Clothes
lower cost of Nails to 10silver

I agree rattler serum is too expensive at the moment, but otherwise I feel the stall prices is just right. :3 The problem isn't that the silver prices in the city stalls are too high, but that the current game-currency to real-currency ratios are too close.
ShadowTani

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:28 pm

ShadowTani wrote:
Droj wrote:I easy enough once you have the skills, even slacking getting at least 1 cricket team / hour.

WOT

The business model is still in the works but it's always easier to start high and then slowly descending if needed. I agree that the silver price is high now, and if we lower it in the future we'll of course make sure early buyers get their share.

As for what is sold in the store; it will get expanded - a lot. "Premium" items, being premium in the way of costing a lot of silver, will be added as time goes.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations