How to make insanity better?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

How to make insanity better?

Postby Taipion » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm

That's what I just asked myself, and I could not come up with a perfect solution right away, so I ask around, what could be done to make it better?

(I intend this to be a serious approach, so please leave out trolling and such, there are enough threads for that kind of fun.)

What I think is good:
- potentially lethal
- whispering voices
- "funny" episodes
- can be countered with just doing normal things, I mean, there is no additional grind required to fight it, except you were careless and actually got madness (or were online when a BM occured), a bit too easy maybe, but good

What I think is bad:
- is very crippling and annoying already at madness 1 due to a rather (too) high chance to lose any tool you use
- is not challenging enough, I mean, there is no "survival" aspect in it, it's not really a danger, if you know what you are doing
- potentially driving away new players (not sure though, if that kind of "natural selection" is good or bad)
- no "benefits" besides spawning more bats, which is basically useless thanks to big bats
- gain +2 madness for being online when a BM occurs, that might be rare, but I don't consider that good

So, to highlight a few things, it is good that just "doing normal things" is a way to counter it, and it is good that there is no additional grind through it, because Salem does not need more grind, really.
On the other hand it is bad that it is not really a challenge or threatening.
This dilemma is something I'd like to solve, but I have no really good idea yet.

One thing that should be done imho, is restricting the loss of tools to something higher than madness 1, and making it much less frequent for lower levels in general, and ofc JC should not tell at which lvl there is a chance for that to happen.
Also, there should be reasons to actually have madness above spawning bats, and manage it in a certain range, instead of simply fighting to prevent it altogether, the voices alone are quite nice, maybe there could be something like a chance to find/see some rare/new stuff at higher madness levels, some witch related stuff, maybe a chance to encounter darkness creatures outside of darkness, that, until killed, can only be "seen" by characters that are mad enough.

Any ideas?

Also:
Just came to my mind, an idea for a new psychotic episode that might trigger from something obsessively peaceful, like picking too much flowers or catching too many butterflies in a certain time.
Bloodlust! :D
- Indicated by a distinct graphical effect around your character, and possibly an info of some kind to point at what you need to do / what is going on.
- The player needs to beat something up / kill something!
- You start to slowly lose BB unless you are engaged in combat.
- Ends either if enough (to be determined, what "enough" is) blood has been shed, or if you KO.
- (optional) Murdering another pilgrim under the effect of bloodlust (choose one): adds no insanity / adds much more insanity / removes some madness
- (optional) Beating up animals and/or other pilgrims restores some inspiration, maybe base on how much blood damage you received
- (optional) If not already in combat, the character will occasionally do random attacks aimed at nearby attackable animals/players. ¦]
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Re: How to make insanity better?

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm

We already have plans to make some changes to Madness. Some reasons that you might want to be Mad are welcome, certainly.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Reaper6971 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Some inspiration for insanity effects:

Eternal Darkness - All Sanity Effects - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc
Reaper6971
Customer

Postby Taipion » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:09 am

Reaper6971 wrote:Some inspiration for insanity effects:

Eternal Darkness - All Sanity Effects - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXcajQnasc

I think the devs of salem took inspiration from "don't starve!" which is good, well, let's see what they got in the line for this...
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Norelieth » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Taipion wrote:Just came to my mind, an idea for a new psychotic episode that might trigger from something obsessively peaceful, like picking too much flowers or catching too many butterflies in a certain time.

Why only peaceful things ? It could be for all activities like mining during X hours or fishing, or foraging, hunting, gardening and planting .... The insanity would come for doing always the same type of work during a delay of time. But I don't know if the devs can survey that and if the fact of picking up a flower e.g. would interrup a hunting trip or a fishing party.
Pour être heureux, vivons cachés.
Norelieth

Postby majtejn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:11 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:We already have plans to make some changes to Madness. Some reasons that you might want to be Mad are welcome, certainly.

At last. My only problem with madness was that there was no positive effects.
majtejn

Postby thedarklore » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:08 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:We already have plans to make some changes to Madness. Some reasons that you might want to be Mad are welcome, certainly.

Well if insanity is based on Don't Starve one then try to make some unique monsters for higher level of madness and they will drop something simillar to nightmare fuel
thedarklore

Return to Ideas & Innovations