Soups and Stews

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Soups and Stews

Postby Penge567 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:57 pm

A lot of the cooking in the game currently is heavily recipe based, where if you don't have the proper ingredients, you can't eat. Soups and stews, traditionally, are made using whatever the hell you have lying around. A new soup pot made from iron, some simple "stock" or "broth" liquids made from boiled turkey, fish and/or vegetables, and then you fill the soup pot with the stock/broth, and then you put whatever you want into it. Cooked crab? Sure. Sparrow eggs? Why not. Raw milkweed? Might as well. Rocks? Full of healthy vitamins and minerals. Ideally, what you put into the pot is what determines the outcome, higher level ingredients result in higher level soup. This would make gluttony a bit easier, however, if the soup goes cold, you lose the benefit by half. You can't hoard soup into barrels because that's gross, it'll get cold and nasty. You make a clay bowl for getting soup out of the soup pot, and then you have a while before it goes cold, maybe 20-30 minutes. I would say that the cauldron could be used as a soup pot, but I figured the soup pot would need more slots for ingredients. Probably in the range of 4-8 ingredients per soup. This way, if you have random ingredients lying around, you will have a better use for them than building more chests.
Penge567

Re: Soups and Stews

Postby Dallane » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:11 pm

so whats the point of having this? new glutton mechanic? different way to glutton? whats the benefit? is there a drawback. the idea is neat but not fleshed out.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Penge567 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Well, the main idea was finding a use for ingredients that clutter chests and such. For me, it's cabbages. I use most of my cabbages to raise worm purity, but I still produce much more than I need, so if I could use it to make a soup, that would be helpful. As for the gluttony mechanic, as I mentioned, it would be influenced by the ingredients used, so if you used four very high level ingredients, you could make it into the soup. So when you use it during gluttony, you could eat one soup instead of four ingredients and get somewhere in the ballpark of all four ingredients benefits, but without the time added to the gluttony timer of eating them separately. This would make gluttony a lot easier for some mid-level and advanced players, but the drawback being you can't store a ton of it and use it whenever you want, you have to leave it on the heat and eat it when it's ready. It's just an idea, but I figured it was a nice concept that could be built upon.
Penge567

Postby Dallane » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:52 am

Penge567 wrote:Well, the main idea was finding a use for ingredients that clutter chests and such. For me, it's cabbages. I use most of my cabbages to raise worm purity, but I still produce much more than I need, so if I could use it to make a soup, that would be helpful. As for the gluttony mechanic, as I mentioned, it would be influenced by the ingredients used, so if you used four very high level ingredients, you could make it into the soup. So when you use it during gluttony, you could eat one soup instead of four ingredients and get somewhere in the ballpark of all four ingredients benefits, but without the time added to the gluttony timer of eating them separately. This would make gluttony a lot easier for some mid-level and advanced players, but the drawback being you can't store a ton of it and use it whenever you want, you have to leave it on the heat and eat it when it's ready. It's just an idea, but I figured it was a nice concept that could be built upon.

Why not make cabbage food?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby HolyLight » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:55 am

Dallane wrote:
Penge567 wrote:Well, the main idea was finding a use for ingredients that clutter chests and such. For me, it's cabbages. I use most of my cabbages to raise worm purity, but I still produce much more than I need, so if I could use it to make a soup, that would be helpful. As for the gluttony mechanic, as I mentioned, it would be influenced by the ingredients used, so if you used four very high level ingredients, you could make it into the soup. So when you use it during gluttony, you could eat one soup instead of four ingredients and get somewhere in the ballpark of all four ingredients benefits, but without the time added to the gluttony timer of eating them separately. This would make gluttony a lot easier for some mid-level and advanced players, but the drawback being you can't store a ton of it and use it whenever you want, you have to leave it on the heat and eat it when it's ready. It's just an idea, but I figured it was a nice concept that could be built upon.

Why not make cabbage food?

Maybe if you eat cabbage you should fart.
HolyLight

Postby Reaper6971 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:51 pm

HolyLight wrote:Maybe if you eat cabbage you should fart.

This would bring hours of hilarity to the game.
Reaper6971
Customer

Postby alloin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:11 pm

We have stew!
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Return to Ideas & Innovations