How To Improve Salem's Music? (Also, Poll)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

How Can Salem's Music Be Better? (Can Select Three Options)

Have a playlist of sorts for the violin players. Give them more variety.
32%
Extend the music so that the songs now are much longer and therefore, less repetitive.
23%
Up the music's quality.
18%
Take out the thing that requires silver to turn on/off violin players and just make it a client-side option like in Latikai's client.
16%
Take out the music, period. It's not needed in this type of game.
4%
Your music is literally ear bane and you should stop now you monster.
9%

Total votes : 57

How To Improve Salem's Music? (Also, Poll)

Postby Silent_Bob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:47 am

For the last five(?) months I've been working to create music for Salem, as I offered my services to John for free (mainly because I'm an egomaniac and hearing my own stuff in the game makes me happy). Still, I've read a lot of feedback on the forums involving a lot of people getting annoyed at the current violin players (you damned monsters). I'm kidding of course and sympathize, cus even I use a custom client to mute the violin players in town, partially because it gets old and partially because, having composed the songs, I'm well aware of anything slightly off about them - mistakes and crap I could have done better, that kind of thing. So two points:

1. I kind of feel guilty as it seems like I'm hogging the music composition scene. If you yourself have a few songs you think would fit, send them to JC. Seriously, they're likely to be put in the game. He's a little picky, and that's perfectly understandable since this game isn't just some video game mod, but a professional production. Just listen to his preferences and you can get involved too. However, not everyone has access to high-tech equipment used for digital music making but perhaps have musical ability anyway. If you feel you can contribute to Salem's music, throw me a PM and we'll talk it over. If you have a microphone, this could mean singing, which I could easily write accompanying parts for, or any other acoustic music you can play the lead for. Hell, even drums work. JC's requirements are fairly simple for Salem's music: no digital or electronic instruments in compositions (electric guitars or synthesizers). That still leaves plenty of ways to go.

2. What could be done to make the music in Salem less of a pain in the ass and more awesome? Poll above!
Last edited by Silent_Bob on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent_Bob

Re: How To Improve Salem's Music? (Also, Poll)

Postby trungdle » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:32 am

dont be silly bob I even wish for biome ambient music so start making those and be confident. Also, great music comes from heart bumping verses.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Yes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:39 am

Why is it annoying? I usually play my own music while playing games. Unless I'm playing a story-based game, then I want to engage myself in the atmosphere more. Salem's music atm is fun, but it usually interrupts.
A cool mod would be to have a complete band playing and you could make it play your mp3's and m3u's, lol.
I think first we need ambient sounds. Like a whole lot different sounds of walking in a certain biome with certain walking mode on, birds singing, water sounds. LOMS pavement
shows that the right detail in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
Also maybe making music to play not only in Providence would make it so that people don't get scared when they hear loud music after porting to Providence.
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:53 am

I usually play this on a loop when i'm grinding mats or scouting/mapping on alts i personally think it suits Salem perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5YQbOR__Y
Rubberduckbandit

Postby Nektaris » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:48 pm

Rubberduckbandit wrote:I usually play this on a loop when i'm grinding mats or scouting/mapping on alts i personally think it suits Salem perfectly.

Implement this please!
oleanna wrote:It's a part of the game. Stealing stuff with larceny or with brain is a way like an other !
Nektaris

Postby Icon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Hell with that, I've been sitting on 4 pieces I've been asking where to submit for months. I think your on your own
Icon

Postby Kandarim » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:04 pm

Icon wrote:Hell with that, I've been sitting on 4 pieces I've been asking where to submit for months. I think your on your own

where to submit is easy: just point JC at them :)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Heffernan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:40 pm

place 5 Violin Players
let them play the cantina band song
???
Profit

((incase u dont know what im on about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWO5Ai_a80M))
Heffernan

Postby Silent_Bob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Rubberduckbandit wrote:I usually play this on a loop when i'm grinding mats or scouting/mapping on alts i personally think it suits Salem perfectly.

That soundtrack would be a nice fit for the game and is quite well written. Not to mention they are under Creative Commons, meaning (and don't quote me) I think they can be used without legal trouble. The problem is with client-side music generation. In other words, music/noises/anything has to be generated via global objects like the violin players, and these behave realistically. The further you are away from it, the softer it is, ext. As far as I know, there is no way to make an object play at the same volume when you enter its vicinity. Thus, trying to make music play at any specific point is somewhat tricky, and a lot of the music seems to be for specific biomes that would be far from any violin player. That being said, there is still some music in it that would be nice to put into the violin players' already in the game's playlists, so to speak. One in particular would work for Western Wallace's first stop. However, JC has mentioned to me that he wants Salem to have a unique soundtrack specific to it. Whether or not he changes his mind is up to him.

((incase u dont know what im on about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWO5Ai_a80M))

Song got stuck in my head when I was 8 and hasn't gone away since.

And I'm okay with that ;).
Silent_Bob

Postby DarkNacht » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:08 pm

As long as I don't have to listen to it I don't care what music they put in the game.
DarkNacht

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations