Add Pathfinding

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Add Pathfinding

Postby Kandarim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 am

They DO have pathfinding. See argopelters finding their way across a river, or bears finding their way into your lot if you leave a gate open and they aggro you.

For that matter when wandering they won't bump into the same object twice in a row. They'll always pick a direction away from said object ;)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Ukhata » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

ive never met an agropelter, and bear always died first before i could see any pathfinding done :)

soo, ill have to take your word for it.
as for bumping into the same thing more than once, ive seen em do it. maybe not by choosing the exact same path, but similar paths.
Ukhata

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Ukhata wrote:they just randomly choose a different direction if they bump into something.
sometimes meaning they bump 5 times into the same tree.

What you are talking about is when the animals are just roaming about, at which point they don't try to pathfind, but if you fight them they will use pathfinding to get to you around obstacles.

For the record, I don't necessarily hate the thought of some level of pathfinding for players. The main reason I haven't added any is that the current pathfinding algorithm is "too smart" for player use. I think it would just be annoying if you happen to click on the other side of something (just because you wanted to walk in that general direction) that introduces a more complex obstruction than you think, and the player thus starts walking in a completely different direction, having found a way around the obstacle five miles away. More generally, it shouldn't be that one could just click anywhere and the character tries to "intelligently" interpret the intention behind the click.

I think, thus, that what one actually wants for players isn't really "pathfinding". What one wants is just some way to not have to stick on the occasional odd corner or almost-tangential surface ("less friction", if you will), and I haven't really been able to think of any good formalization of what that would mean (not that I've spent tons of thought-cycles on the problem).
loftar

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Trenix wrote:Yes, let me click multiple times to get around an object because our previous developers were either too lazy or too inexperienced to add proper pathfinding into the game. What's even more amusing, is how you try and justify their failure to polish the game by trying to put the blame on me. Not really sure why anyone would want that extra pointless effort to walk around in Salem, but I guess some people have nothing better to do than to manually walk around every single object in front of them. We really need a face palm smiley...

The reason you got a hat is because this idea has been suggested and talked about extensively already in several threads. Every time, it's been rejected by the devs and an explanation given why it's not going to be done. Seatribe didn't like pathfinding and neither do we. What if you're in combat and click to go somewhere, the game finds an odd path to get you there, and sends you off in a different direction from what you wanted, causing you to run right into a stomp? Aside from the fact that we don't want the game to hold your hand, we think it's just much better that you go where you click and do your own steering. It's not like it's difficult to make sure there's a clear path between you and something you want to pick up before you try to pick it up.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Feone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Meow: Pathfinding is bad because it might make a wrong move and get you killed.
Carver: Pathfinding is bad because it might stop you from walking into a tree and getting killed during a chase.

The point being that we should be responsible for our own movement when it comes to dangerous situations, which might be at any time.

Something about these arguments reminds me of the event pies :lol:
Feone

Postby Trenix » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:50 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Trenix wrote:Yes, let me click multiple times to get around an object because our previous developers were either too lazy or too inexperienced to add proper pathfinding into the game. What's even more amusing, is how you try and justify their failure to polish the game by trying to put the blame on me. Not really sure why anyone would want that extra pointless effort to walk around in Salem, but I guess some people have nothing better to do than to manually walk around every single object in front of them. We really need a face palm smiley...

The reason you got a hat is because this idea has been suggested and talked about extensively already in several threads. Every time, it's been rejected by the devs and an explanation given why it's not going to be done. Seatribe didn't like pathfinding and neither do we. What if you're in combat and click to go somewhere, the game finds an odd path to get you there, and sends you off in a different direction from what you wanted, causing you to run right into a stomp? Aside from the fact that we don't want the game to hold your hand, we think it's just much better that you go where you click and do your own steering. It's not like it's difficult to make sure there's a clear path between you and something you want to pick up before you try to pick it up.

A professional developer would just lock my thread and warn me, even though I clearly did nothing wrong. I read through the suggestions and the list that I should read which is stickied, and nothing is mentioned about pathfinding. This is just an instanced of an abusive developer that literally broke my character because I made a suggestion. Trust me, if this game even attempts to go public I got pictures to show how unprofessional you guys are, to make sure no one even attempts to spend a dime on you. Not even the original developers have done such a thing like this to me personally, maybe they have to others but not that I know about. So in my eyes you guys are far worse than our previous developers.

This game is good as dead to me, you guys already embarrassed your own company, because if it were any other company someone would get fired for this ****. So put the dunce cap on your own heads, your just people who think you're above other developers for not having pathfinding. You don't have it, because it's probably too difficult for you to add, don't bother denying the truth. This should be a area for you to obtain feedback and suggestions, not to argue and state what isn't going to be added. Get off your high horse, you don't make those calls, the community does, and doing that crap is why this game isn't going anywhere. Developers are supposed to make games for people, not for themselves otherwise you should take this game offline. Well this is the final goodbye, just wanted to see what smart ass remark you'd make with this abusive situation.
Trenix

Postby alloin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm

Trenix wrote:A professional developer would just lock my thread and warn me, even though I clearly did nothing wrong. I read through the suggestions and the list that I should read which is stickied, and nothing is mentioned about pathfinding. This is just an instanced of an abusive developer that literally broke my character because I made a suggestion. Trust me, if this game even attempts to go public I got pictures to show how unprofessional you guys are, to make sure no one even attempts to spend a dime on you. Not even the original developers have done such a thing like this to me personally, maybe they have to others but not that I know about. So in my eyes you guys are far worse than our previous developers.

This game is good as dead to me, you guys already embarrassed your own company, because if it were any other company someone would get fired for this ****. So put the dunce cap on your own heads, your just people who think you're above other developers for not having pathfinding. You don't have it, because it's probably too difficult for you to add, don't bother denying the truth. This should be a area for you to obtain feedback and suggestions, not to argue and state what isn't going to be added. Get off your high horse, you don't make those calls, the community does, and doing that crap is why this game isn't going anywhere. Developers are supposed to make games for people, not for themselves otherwise you should take this game offline. Well this is the final goodbye, just wanted to see what smart ass remark you'd make with this abusive situation.

Someone's mad !

I see you have no clue what you are saying, thus a dunce cap was well in place here !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:20 pm

I will add Pathfinding: LOL NO to the sticky if it's not there.

The purpose of this section isn't to decide what will be in the game, it is to see what suggestions the community has that agree with and add to what we already want or suggests something we didn't even know we wanted but OMG we must have it now. But, If John comes into a thread on the third post and tells you "No", there's no point in arguing and you might piss him off and get a dunce hat if you decide to become insulting and nasty about it like you did. That hat is your fault, deal with it.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Trenix » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:I will add Pathfinding: LOL NO to the sticky if it's not there.

The purpose of this section isn't to decide what will be in the game, it is to see what suggestions the community has that agree with and add to what we already want or suggests something we didn't even know we wanted but OMG we must have it now. But, If John comes into a thread on the third post and tells you "No", there's no point in arguing and you might **** him off and get a dunce hat if you decide to become insulting and nasty about it like you did. That hat is your fault, deal with it.

I will get the last laugh one this game fails, which I already know it will. It has already failed twice in a row and a third one is coming. I'm never wrong about it, I even called it before paradox abandoned it. Also I could of swore I didn't see pathfinding on the list, unless it's just been recently added which is believable since it's at the bottom of the list. You know with an abusive developer like that, it's hard to trust this company. I wasn't insulting anyone, aside from the "previous developers" which I'll continue to do because they're a mockery. Also I don't care how butt hurt someone gets for me voicing my complaints, I'll continue to do it and if you think this is how you handle a situation, by breaking someone's character, then clearly none of you know what you're doing.
Trenix

Postby jesi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Trenix wrote:
I will get the last laugh one this game fails, which I already know it will. It has already failed twice in a row and a third one is coming. I'm never wrong about it, I even called it before paradox abandoned it. Also I could of swore I didn't see pathfinding on the list, unless it's just been recently added which is believable since it's at the bottom of the list. You know with an abusive developer like that, it's hard to trust this company. I wasn't insulting anyone, aside from the "previous developers" which I'll continue to do because they're a mockery. Also I don't care how butt hurt someone gets for me voicing my complaints, I'll continue to do it and if you think this is how you handle a situation, by breaking someone's character, then clearly none of you know what you're doing.

Bud, you're the one who is butthurt and we are all laughing at you and your "idea". Noone playing Salem is going to quit because they don't add pathfinding - except (please God/Jorbtar) you.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations