Start point / Base

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Start point / Base

Postby voragain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 am

So, I'm interested in modifying a gameclient, mainly because I have spare time, and also because my honey would probably never enjoy the ones available - no offense to anyone meant here.

I'm used to programming/modding, not too shabby java wise, and as such am not here to ask for help on those matters.

What I am curious about is - how do custom clients are created here? I haven't stumbled on any source code package (shame on me if I simply did not notice any), and since modding is officially accepted but not supported in itself, I highly doubt the base client is modular.
So yeah, base question is, what is the startpoint for custom clients? Thanks for any tip.
voragain

Re: Start point / Base

Postby dullahx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:39 am

dullahx

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:23 am

You need to manually modify the code base with a fork from the git repository. Yes, you need to know Java, and you should probably have a good feel for OpenGL. The OpenGL API used is JOGL, which is as direct an implementation of the spec as you can get but isn't without a few bugs/idiosyncrasies. It's also done with OGL v1.4 spec, so you might have to do a bit of digging on making use of methods and such that are deprecated in newer versions.

There was some talk by a couple of people wanting to make the Haven client modular to make UI modding much easier, but it never went beyond that that I'm aware.

I think I covered the basics of the questions there. Maybe one of the guys that have worked on client mods can stick their head in here and offer a few more tips.

One other issue: I'm not sure under which licensing the Haven/Salem client falls(the Salem client is more or less a newer version of the Haven client). There's a statement at the Haven website, but I'm not sure if the terms remain the same or not.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:25 am

License is GPL v3.

Also you don't really need to know OpenGL if you don't want to make big/core changes. Every usefull function is already wrapped by loftar.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby voragain » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:17 am

As previously stated, java knowledge is not a problem here.

Thanks dullahx, that is exactly what I had not found.
voragain

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:04 am

MagicManICT wrote:One other issue: I'm not sure under which licensing the Haven/Salem client falls.

There is a COPYING file in the client source that explains the details about the licensing.
loftar

Postby grimkid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:32 am

Wow this is useful thanks:D. i am searching for some code behind the clients to try and make a minimal mobila app just to checkstatus for now . this is useful . Thanks!
grimkid

Postby Kandarim » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 am

impressive necro :)
The information in this thread is outdated. The current client repository is at git://fludd.seatribe.se/client.
I've implemented the checkstatus into my custom client, the relevant code is here
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Shadow86 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:09 am

Kandarim wrote:impressive necro :)

At least he used the search function to its very fullest.
Shadow86

Postby Dallane » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:55 am

Shadow86 wrote:
Kandarim wrote:impressive necro :)

At least he used the search function to its very fullest.

It almost brought a tear to my eye that someone actually clicked search.

This should be a sticky or in a link within a A&A megathread for people interested in modding.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Return to Artifice & Arcana