Providence World Map (WIP)

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Providence World Map (WIP)

Postby Kwaad » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:48 am

http://map.knoc.org/

Q&A
Can I help, and if so how?
Yes you can! Make sure you're using a custom client, both Ender's and Latikai's will work. When using those clients all the tiles you discover will be saved to your computer. You can find a folder called "game.salemthegame.com" located at "c:/users/<your windows username>/Salem/map/". Right click the aforementioned folder then choose "Send to" and then "Compressed (zipped) Folder". This will compress the folder into a zip file called "game.salemthegame.com.zip". For my convenience please rename the zip to something like "yournickname.zip". Once you've done that upload that zip to any filestorage service you like (I use Dropbox myself) and PM a link where I can download the zip. I'll try to process and upload your tiles as quickly as I can. It would help if you give a rough estimate where the tiles you've send fit to the map.

Can I have the tiles?
The latest tiles are available for download in two flavours:
Tiles only: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rr2nf5kfnboza4/prov-tiles-latest.zip
Local Zoomable*: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3emhfuwg9801cj/prov-zoomtiles-latest.zip
* Please note I have not made the html and js included. Not sure who the original author is.

You mapped our base!
Send me the virgin tiles and I'll hide it on the next update.

I see an error!
Please PM me the details and I'll correct it.
Last edited by Kwaad on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
Kwaad

Re: Providence World Map (WIP)

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:00 am

I'm going to be putting my effort into this map, however I still plan on making a virgin and stylized map at a later date.

A little info:

loftar wrote:The current map is 25000x25000 tiles, but I plan to grow it in a near future.
pistolshrimp

Postby Kwaad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:04 am

pistolshrimp wrote:I'm going to be putting my effort into this map, however I still plan on making a virgin and stylized map at a later date.

Welcome aboard! Let's get this server mapped :D

pistolshrimp wrote:A little info:

loftar wrote:The current map is 25000x25000 tiles, but I plan to grow it in a near future.

Loftar trolled us, so far the map is at 48200x25000. And I haven't located the western border yet.
My conclusion so far, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M.
Kwaad

Postby Claeyt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:14 am

Kwaad found the western border last night, and it's of course 50,000 by 25,000 tiles Loftar you liar. This means that Providence has the exact dimensions as the old maps just longer E/W instead of N/S. This means that there's half the amount of ocean and beach as the old maps. This means that there's probably about 10-12% more land tiles this time which makes for a bigger world. This also means that there is a different amount of Darkness. Darkness now shows up only in the Western part of the map.

I'm encouraging all people to help Kwaad, Pistolshrimp and everyone else working on this map by downloading the free program 'Dropbox' and coordinating with Kwaad or Pistolshrimp to give them your tiles in an orderly fashion. Please PM him on the forums to find out how.

I initially had my doubts about a fully public map. I knew that the bigger groups would be most able to use it initially to get better locations. They may still but a full and complete map will help new players to better experience the game. The more virgin tiles we can get the better as once pavement and digging happens cities and locations will show up.

Please give us your virgin tiles before you start your great projects so that we don't map your base after the pavement shows up on the map.

It will make you base safer. Download 'Dropbox' and contact Kwaad or Pistolshrimp by PM.

You'll still have first chance at anything you find as it will take a day or two for people to find the special locations (Big Lime Pits, Islands, Waterfalls) you post using the map.

Give us your tiles JUST before you're ready to claim and build there but before you start digging. This will make sure the tile looks empty.

Eventually we'll map you're area anyways and if it doesn't show any digging it will be safer longer.

After thinking that showing construction on the map would be a bad thing I've come to the conclusion that instead showing possible locations will result in towns building better safety precautions and defense and people seeking bigger groups to live in. We're always going to have raiders and big groups will already have their own maps to work with. This map is for the people that don't have their own map. This map is for the new players who want to explore.

We now have 9,000 tiles out of 125,000 and we will be mapping until it's done.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby ziyakaz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

(Posting here because this is starting to get off-topic in the other thread.)

Kwaad wrote:Make that 99%, map might have gotten doubled. Northern border has expanded. Map might potentially be 50000x50000.

Wow! I can't wait to see it all. :)

I've already sent you some tiles, but I'm going to start exploring soon, so I'll be sending more your way.
ziyakaz

Postby Kwaad » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:50 am

ziyakaz wrote:(Posting here because this is starting to get off-topic in the other thread.)

Kwaad wrote:Make that 99%, map might have gotten doubled. Northern border has expanded. Map might potentially be 50000x50000.

Wow! I can't wait to see it all. :)

I've already sent you some tiles, but I'm going to start exploring soon, so I'll be sending more your way.

Map is indeed 50.000x50.000 atm. It is L-shaped however. So the NW section is not accessible yet (25.000x25.000). Map updated too.
Kwaad

Postby Banok » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:42 am

what tools did you use to make this map? the one I am using is abit iffy

so "providence" (I still call it boston) is supposed to be close to the south border? seems kind of wierd. the east border being next to it makes sense since its the ocean.
Banok

Postby Ailaa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:55 am

My home is not on the map!

Excelleeeeeeeent.
Ailaa
Customer

Postby Kwaad » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:29 am

Banok wrote:what tools did you use to make this map? the one I am using is abit iffy

so "providence" (I still call it boston) is supposed to be close to the south border? seems kind of wierd. the east border being next to it makes sense since its the ocean.

Yes, currently that seems to be the case. The server started out with a 25000x25000 area with Boston pretty much in the middle. Couple of days later they extended the map by 25000x25000 to the west, that new section contains the darkness. Yesterday we noticed the Northern border had expanded and I started sailing north to find the new border. As I expected they added another 25000x25000 section to the north of the orginal 25000x25000.

The tools I use are the following:
MapMerger: http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5995. This is used to combine all the individual sessions in the map folder.
SalemMaptool: https://code.google.com/p/salem-map-tool/wiki/Howto. This is used to combine all the merged sessions MapMerger creates, done manually.
TileZoomCreator: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hnhmapoffset/files/distrib/tilezoomcreator1-1.zip/download. Used to generate all the various zoom-levels.
Kwaad

Postby Bjebr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 am

Kwaad wrote:
Banok wrote:Yesterday we noticed the Northern border had expanded

Same thing south. The "invisible" border has moved, but the junction between the new and the old part seems a little weird to me, here's the coastline :

Sems like the beach has made a 2 tiles east jump , but the border between the two different "forest" biomes seems good.

Bjebr
Bjebr

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana