Providence World Map (WIP)

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Providence World Map (WIP)

Postby jwhitehorn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:50 pm

Cheena wrote:We'll see. Honestly it shouldn't hurt the server more than just loading the map so I don't understand how it's a pain. And that's really less annoying to just let the script run while I'm sleeping than to download tiles from anywhere else or something... sigh :(

Try adding a "loop" function at the end of your script, this way it will constantly update the tiles and you can be sure your folder is always 100% accurate. You don't have to just go run the script once he "says" he updated it... you've got the latest and greatest at all times.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby Kwaad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:43 am

jwhitehorn wrote:
Cheena wrote:We'll see. Honestly it shouldn't hurt the server more than just loading the map so I don't understand how it's a pain. And that's really less annoying to just let the script run while I'm sleeping than to download tiles from anywhere else or something... sigh :(

Try adding a "loop" function at the end of your script, this way it will constantly update the tiles and you can be sure your folder is always 100% accurate. You don't have to just go run the script once he "says" he updated it... you've got the latest and greatest at all times.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe

Bla bla bla.

For those actually thinking Chief is taking tiles, he's not. From the moment the map was put online just one person has actually ran a script to download the tiles. And that person was not Chief or anyone related to the Tribe. I admit it surprised me too, but those are the facts. During the time the server was offline I've made some changes to the server making it more difficult to download the tiles. Futhermore I've added live monitoring of the server using Logstash, Elasticsearch and Kibana. So anyone caught abusing will get banned.

Also, I've pushed a big update to the map. Added well over 20000 new tiles.
Kwaad

Postby Cheena » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 am

Dude I don't wanna sound bothering but... I know 100% sure that someone else than me downloading your tiles. At least 2 other people. One of them told me that you had no mean to find out we were downloading your tiles (he's the one who wrote the script for me). So I'm actually starting to think he was right, and that you caught some noob running a noob script, or some ass who wrote it so you catch him, voluntarily.
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby Kwaad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Cheena wrote:Dude I don't wanna sound bothering but... I know 100% sure that someone else than me downloading your tiles. At least 2 other people. One of them told me that you had no mean to find out we were downloading your tiles (he's the one who wrote the script for me). So I'm actually starting to think he was right, and that you caught some noob running a noob script, or some ass who wrote it so you catch him, voluntarily.

Technical post incoming. It's impossible to actually do any interaction with the server without it leaving a trace in the Nginx acces.log or error.log. Whenever a request is made to the server to download a file (a page or file) the actual request comes with various information. One being the HTTP referer (the page the request originated from). The script you (assuming your from or near Paris) used lacked the correct HTTP referer and was therefor easy to identify. Before going to bed yesterday I checked the logs again and noticed two suspicious ip's popping up. If I'm not mistaken one of those IP's traced back to Scandinavia.

Here is what I don't understand, why they would even go trough all that trouble? Just send me a simple PM requesting the tiles. Saves me time, saves them time.
Kwaad

Postby Cheena » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm not from Paris, I'm from Lyon. But screw those scripts, imma send you a PM :mrgreen:
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby Procne » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:13 pm

Kwaad wrote:
Cheena wrote:Dude I don't wanna sound bothering but... I know 100% sure that someone else than me downloading your tiles. At least 2 other people. One of them told me that you had no mean to find out we were downloading your tiles (he's the one who wrote the script for me). So I'm actually starting to think he was right, and that you caught some noob running a noob script, or some ass who wrote it so you catch him, voluntarily.

Technical post incoming. It's impossible to actually do any interaction with the server without it leaving a trace in the Nginx acces.log or error.log. Whenever a request is made to the server to download a file (a page or file) the actual request comes with various information. One being the HTTP referer (the page the request originated from). The script you (assuming your from or near Paris) used lacked the correct HTTP referer and was therefor easy to identify. Before going to bed yesterday I checked the logs again and noticed two suspicious ip's popping up. If I'm not mistaken one of those IP's traced back to Scandinavia.

Here is what I don't understand, why they would even go trough all that trouble? Just send me a simple PM requesting the tiles. Saves me time, saves them time.

I don't think it makes any sense to monitor this. If someone wants they can just write a script sending HTTP GET requests for the files. From your side it would totally look like a browser displaying images.

It seems that the whole situation is bothering you, and has already led to disabling the map for a few days. So there, here's your answer - they may be going through the trouble to harass you. To annoy you and to put the project down.

Or maybe they don't speak english and can't even communicate with you and read this thread.

No sense putting too much thought into this.
Procne

Postby BallHog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:25 pm

I am trying to find Providence on the map. Can someone tell me where to look?
BallHog

Postby naosnule » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:26 pm

BallHog wrote:I am trying to find Providence on the map. Can someone tell me where to look?

Middle of the Eastern part (near coast).
naosnule

Postby iamah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

BallHog wrote:I am trying to find Providence on the map. Can someone tell me where to look?

click "Show grid" button, Providence is at point (0,0)
iamah

Postby jwhitehorn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Kwaad wrote:Just send me a simple PM requesting the tiles. Saves me time, saves them time.

Please forward the tiles directly to me in the future to save us both time.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana