Onward to the New World (preparing for our next server map)

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Onward to the New World (preparing for our next server map)

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 am

We are about to set foot on on a new world. It is free of bases and blemishes, free of the scars of leveling and paving. And we have a unique opportunity to create a map of this new land in this unaltered state.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks preventing people from sharing their map tiles publicaly it that inevitably their base will be revealed for all to see. No one wants to help a map project if it means their base is going to get raided. Simply put it's often just too revealing to share map tiles. However because this server is so new we have the perfect opportunity to make a map before bases are built.

This project can only be a success if we work together.

How You Can Help:
By sending me your collected map tiles
Or by exploring uncharted regions of the new world and sending me those tiles

What Do You Mean By Unaltered Tiles?
<image here eventually>
An unaltered tile is one which doesn't show signs of player modification. ie no digging/flattening, no paving, and no mines. These changes alter maps tile permantly and cue in raiders to possible locations of bases. Having a map of unaltered tiles means that no one's base will be revealed when I make the make public.

However, while will the public map will be made of only unaltered map tiles please do send in ALL map tiles, not just unaltered ones. This is because due to the size of the server getting 100% unaltered tiles may be impossible. I should be able to photoshop out many alterations I stress collecting unaltered map tiles fast because I'd much rather only have to photoshop a few map tiles rather than a few hundred.

What You Get In Return
1) Once the map is about 75% filled in I will make the map public so everyone has access to it.
2) However, anyone who sends me map tiles will get access to the map early as well as all the raw unaltered map tiles I have collected.
There are a few specifics I should mention here. The first is that due to computer issues for the first month or so of the new server I will not be able to work on the map as much as I'd like to.

What I'd like to do is upload a rar online of all current non-altered tiles people have sent me and PM this link to all the people who have sent me tiles that week.

3) I also plan on making a stylized version of the server map based on early New World maps. Here are a couple of examples:

Meta-Game
Special features of the map need names, and you, the first explorers of the new server should be the ones to give those places names. The first person to map a feature and send me their tiles gets to name that place. For instance if you are the first one to send me the tiles for a big lake you discovered you get to name that lake. And I will use that name when I make the stylized Salem map.
If you are interested:
1) In order to name a feature you need to map the entire thing. So for instance to name a major river you can't send me one tile, you have to map it from its source to its end. You do not need to map each tributary or branch. (They can be mapped and named separately if you so choose.)
2) When you send in the tiles, send a screenshot of your character at that feature with your character saying what you want the feature to be called. I need to see the mini-map in your screen shot so I can make sure I know what you're naming.
3) The first person to map and send me the tiles and screenshot gets the name. There is nothing for second place so map and send tiles often.
4) You can name small feature like tiny rivers, forests, etc but they will likely not end up on the first version of the stylized map. I will keep track of all names and likely incorporate them at a later date but not at first.
5) Names in English characters only please.
6) I exercise the right to use a little creative license on the names. For instance if you send me Joe River I may change it to Joe Stream, or Joe Brook, etc. With that in mind, please exercise at least some modicum of creativity here, if you name 12 rivers, please name at least some of them something different then your name.
7) Some level or appropriateness is an order here, I won't except cockfalls or **** creek and I will default to the next person to map that feature for its name.
8) The name of islands will not be permeant. if vclaimed the name will change to reflect that. Small islands and the names of everything else will most likely stay the same no matter what.

If you have suggestions or worries or want to just show your support and commit to send me your tiles leave a comment here or send me a PM. I will be updating this post over the next couple of weeks with short how-tos as we get closer to date of the wipe.

UPDATE:
Due to computer issues, I will probably not be able to play Salem or work on the map for the first couple of weeks after the wipe. However, I do still intend to make this map I will just be a bit delayed. This should not stop you from joining the project, collect as many tiles as quickly as you can, this map will be made!
Last edited by pistolshrimp on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pistolshrimp

Re: Onward to the New World (preparing for our next server m

Postby Darwoth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:30 am

why would anyone just send you all their maptiles? anyone that is not a retard would require trade.
Darwoth

Postby jwhitehorn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:21 am

pistolshrimp wrote:Tho it probably isn't a big concern to anyone here, I want to point out that I do realize that the first European settlers in fact found a world that had already been explored and named and inhabited by the indigenous tribes living in New England at the time.

As is true in RL it is also true of Salem. The Tribe has brokered many benefits moving into the new world in an acceptance with The Great Spirit that we are indeed the Chosen people as well as in acknowledgment for use of lands that have belonged to our people for generations.

As such, much of the new mapgen file will be shared prior to launch. Your project will not be necessary for as we did with Plymouth we plan on sharing a map of our lands to those who are good Citizens of the new world.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby jesi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

Pistolshrimp wrote
) I would like to also make a second map. As a New England history need I've always felt Salem needed a good ye olde map. If you don't know what I'm talking about:

I am thinking about helping you since it would give purpose to life. But I have a question. The old map you show is upside down. Did you reverse it when you copied it?

Also, it seems interesting that Darwoth would comment on this thread. Sounds like he might not be gone after all.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby cannibalkirby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:21 pm

jesi wrote:Ignores Chiefy's comment

does this mean the new world will be under tribal tax as well with a treaty? :P
Ikpeip wrote:How can I be derailing my own thread?
cannibalkirby

Postby iamah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Darwoth wrote:why would anyone just send you all their maptiles? anyone that is not a retard would require trade.

I'm in for some reasons:
- The strongest groups will eventually have their map with marks and everything (http://map.knoc.org/)... by holding out map info you're only making these groups stronger... with this initiative the power is shared for all players eventually
- early mappers will have access to what's already available, so it's a form of trade between every contributor and OP as mediator
- I'm a casual player who hates to lose things, so I focus on silly meta games, like planting forests, exploring the mountains and the map limits...
- having a stylized map with your name possibly in it will be awesome
iamah

Postby pistolshrimp » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Darwoth wrote:why would anyone just send you all their maptiles? anyone that is not a retard would require trade.

Hmm. I'm not asking for anything to be one way here. As I stated in the OP that I will provide the map to anyone who has shared their tiles with me until such as time when the entire project is complete enough and then I will share it publicly. Though no explicitly said, I will share tiles with those who would prefer tiles to build their own maps as well.

For those who prefer to make such things explicit and would rather I use business words than words like share; I will trade map tiles for map tiles, however I will only share tiles that no one has built on to preserve privacy.
pistolshrimp

Postby Darwoth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:13 pm

iamah wrote:

I'm in for some reasons:
- The strongest groups will eventually have their map with marks and everything (http://map.knoc.org/)... by holding out map info you're only making these groups stronger... with this initiative the power is shared for all players eventually
- early mappers will have access to what's already available, so it's a form of trade between every contributor and OP as mediator
- I'm a casual player who hates to lose things, so I focus on silly meta games, like planting forests, exploring the mountains and the map limits...
- having a stylized map with your name possibly in it will be awesome

yeah i understand all of that, i am just dubious that a guy with no previous reputation is going to head this project and then share the map that he got everyone else to make for him. i also still see no reason tiles could not be exchanged through the process since it would simply mean an extra 10 seconds to send his tiles to his contributors.
Darwoth

Postby Cheena » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:06 pm

But that's what he said. Weirdly, but he said it :
"2) However anyone who sends me tiles will get access to the map long before its 75% complete. "

I PM'd him and said I would participate in his project as long as each time I'm sending tiles I got tiles in return :)
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks to all those who have expressed willingness to help, I'm excited to get this project underway.

@jesi, I didn't reverse the map, you will find that many old maps are that way. Don't worry my map will be facing the correct way, I just thought that was a good map for showing a bit of how I'd do mine visually, with the animals, maybe a sea monster or two. You know the standard stuff.

@darwoth, hope that your interest implies you'll be entering the new world with us. Even if you don't contribute to the map project it'd be great to have you there.
pistolshrimp

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana