Onward to the New World (preparing for our next server map)

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Onward to the New World (preparing for our next server m

Postby imrielle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:34 am

I might have to play again just to map. ;_;
imrielle
Customer

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 pm

imrielle wrote:I might have to play again just to map. ;_;

It'd be awesome to have you on board.
Last edited by pistolshrimp on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pistolshrimp

Postby Cheena » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:
imrielle wrote:I might have to play again just to map. ;_;

It'd be awesome o have you on board.

^THIS :mrgreen:
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby imrielle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Speaking of mapping, anyone know how to recompile the .res files?

(Please forgive any typo's/weird english. I have a bad case of food poisoning and its hard to type/think, but I just can't sleep through any more of it.)

Here is why I am asking: Currently, any single map tile is (before an compression/batch processing), 10-23!kb's in size. Mines are even larger, but I don't give a **** about mines.
I still have all of the map tiles for Roanoke, Jamestown and Plymouth. Each of the non-compressed folders are huge. Or, huge for them just being a bunch of tiny 100x100 images.

Lets use one of my Jamestown backups here, back when it was tiny 2063 tile folder. Its 90.6 Megs in size. It's compressed sister folder (and yes, the maps I had online for people were all compressed, in multiple ways. My methods were to convert them to an indexed color .gif, removing all of the unneeded alpha ****, reconverting them to .png, then combining them into larger 400x400 images.) is still a rather large 30 MB folder.

I've extracted all of images used in the map tiles. There are 33 files that I am fairly certain are used for minimap tiles - gravel.res_0.png I am unsure of of (and the gravel image is 13KB's :!: in size). If these were all modified to be smaller, cleaner PNG/Res files, the maps would be hugely smaller and easier to work with. It wasn't the AMOUNT of tiles that took me hours to merge, compress and deploy, it was the huge file sizes. Importing in the Roanoke map back when it was only 20k tiles would take upwards of 30 minutes uncompressed. After compression, it was down to 5 minutes or so.

Here is an example tile, pre-editted:
This is 13KB, for a single tile. This single tile also has 1646 colors in it. That single large chunk of lighter green on the bottom? It alone accounts for 281 colors.

Here we have the same tile, hand edited to show what I am trying to achieve:
This is now 2.49KB in size, with 8 total colors, using the same PNG format options that the defaults use. It would be even smaller using indexed colors, with alpha disabled. Still recognizably the same area, but massively smaller in file size.

I'm not sure if many people realized it, but I was also editing out peoples bases from the maps on requests, or if I knew the base was active, this would also make doing that 1000% easier. Matching up the default "I puked on an image file and used it for the minimap" textures to hide bases and make it appear seamless wasn't always easy or fast. Even with a new world, we're not always going to get "virgin" tiles from people.

I've tried Boshaw's Layer util, and tried using the various **** found on Haven's forums, so far no luck. I've even tried different custom clients. It could be a case of "Imri is being retarded", so if someone wants to walk me through re-setting up the layer utility and getting the blasted thing to work, it would be hugely appreciated. I'd like to have these working and available for anyone who wants to use them in time for the wipe.

Edit: Also, one of the people I'll be playing again with mentioned that there might be more biomes added. Those will be pretty easy to modify and add in, too, once I figure this out.
imrielle
Customer

Postby Chiprel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Imrielle hai! Something for you below ;)

Installing:
1. Download and install: http://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html (using 1.1.12 for win myself)
2. Download quicklisp and save it on D:\ ( http://beta.quicklisp.org/quicklisp.lisp )
3. Run cmd. Go to D:\ and type sbcl. After that type: (load "quicklisp.lisp")

3a. Now type: Image

3b. Now type: Image

4. Close the window and go to yourUSER/quicklisp/local-projects and unzip salem-layer-util in there so it looks like on pic. (https://github.com/boshaw/salem-layer-util/archive/master.zip)

Decoding/coding:
1. Put res directory on D:\
2. Now run cmd on D: drive and type sbcl then type: (ql:quickload "salem-layer-util")
3. Now to decode all files in 'res' folder type:
(slu:run :mode :da
:skip-old nil
:verbose nil
:args '("res" "dec"))
4. Now you have all decoded stuff in 'd:\dec'. Edit whatever you want and check point 5.
5. To encode it back to .res files type:
(slu:run :mode :ea
:args '("dec" "new-res"))
6. Put files back to custom_res and have fun.
Last edited by Chiprel on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby iamah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:40 pm

imrielle, that size reduction would be very useful for a javascript map using the GoogleMaps API or something equivalent... I hope OP uses that on the map tiles, it looks better than the original IMO, more clean...
Last edited by iamah on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamah

Postby imrielle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Chiprel wrote:Super long post

Can I kiss you? I was just about to PM you <3

iamah wrote:imrielle, that size reduction would be very useful for a javascript map using the GoogleMaps API or something equivalent...

This is exactly why I want to make everything smallified.
I have no idea what the OP intends exactly, but I think we all know I'll end up having a map online. :p
imrielle
Customer

Postby Chiprel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:03 pm

imrielle wrote:
Chiprel wrote:Super long post

Can I kiss you? I was just about to PM you <3

Only if not with your avatar face :p

Looks like I should add spoilers. Post came out much bigger than expected.
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby imrielle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Successmode engaged, thanks to help from Chiprel. :)

Here are some example screenshots, merged into one image:

Foldersize for topleft minimap (9x9 tiles) before: 160KB, after: 36KB

Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mwjqhs
These go into (on win7): C:\Users\YourName\Salem\custom_res
imrielle
Customer

Postby pistolshrimp » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Great information here. I've actually been experimenting with a couple of different ways to create smaller map files, I was thinking one way would be to port large map tiles into adobe illustrator and turn the image into a vector copy of itself making a pretty high color threshold so that all colors not substantially different would be merged together. Then I'd export back out as a png. It'd would work for the size (I could even change the dimensions to be smaller or bigger if necessary without pixelization as vector files are lossy.) not sure if anyone has tried this before. My only concern is that some accuracy might be lost in this approach, not much I think tho. I will probably try a number of approaches. Chiprel's is particularly awesome.

As far as completely virgin tiles, I understand I can't get them all the time, my plans were to edit out alterations, I'd just rather do it one a couple of dozen tiles as opposed to a couple of hundred.
pistolshrimp

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana