Custom client by Latikai, building on Ender's client

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Custom client by Latikai, building on Ender's client

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am

Unfortunately, there's very little to be done for troubleshooting OpenGL issues because it lacks any decent error reporting. The 1280 error just states that somehow, somewhere, your driver's OpenGL API has received an invalid option (enumerant). If you've ever programmed OpenGL, you know that about half the code lines are setting options. Furthermore, it may not even be the code's fault; the recent hiccup with NVIDIA's drivers (which also hit other java OpenGL games like minecraft or starmade) shows that sometimes even the drivers themselves (which are an implementation of the OpenGL API definition) may be at fault. That said, the recurring 1280 error is most likely something inside the client itself somewhere, but unfortunately I've never encountered it first hand. It seems to be most prevalent for people using embedded graphics cards (i.e. don't have a discrete graphics card)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Bleuwulf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm sorry if I seemed rude,but my patience wears thin for people like your little Troll fanboy swinging from my nuts around here everytime i post. i dont send crash report bc others have already done so and you give rather complicated "around the bush" excuses,so i figure I'll get same result if i waste my time crash reporting when it does so every 20 mins to half an hour. and as to comparing your problem to issues with Minecraft (lol) I have Minecraft 1.9.2 with Forge,and have literally NEVER had a crash with (it also uses seemingly about HALF the resources your little "client" does,leading one to presume theres some sloppy/busted code in there to keep causing memory overruns and the like)
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:08 pm

Kandarim wrote:I consider Ender's to be to go-to 'default' client for players, and mine to be the 'all bells and whistles'. Those bells and whistles come with a performance penalty, but for the most part (and during test evaluations) I've found the impact to be rather low

Then it seems that for you, the performance penalty is not worth it and your choice is made. I'm sad that people encounter the 1280 error, but I am at best slightly experienced with OpenGL and cannot debug such an obscurely cryptical error that I cannot even replicate locally. Anecdotecal evidence suggests that at least in some cases it is related to faulty installations of drivers and other things (i.e. full system wipes and reinstalls fixing it).

As for the Minecraft comparison: if you carefully read my post again, I was only comparing to their client in the sense that some client launchers also got hit with the JOGL-related hiccup in nVIDIA's OpenGL drivers.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Bleuwulf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

[quote="Kandarim"][/quote]

In the spirit of cooperation to assist the playerbase and the game-at-large,and to clarify I'm not trying to seemingly bicker with or belittle you,I tell you that my personal issue seems to be some sort of memory/buffer overrun related,as for instance it happens much MORE frequently in Provi,seemingly related to the number and complexity of NPCs and AI-related scripts in the small area,to clarify from earlier nonsense supposition i Have a Dual-core Intel Celeron 1.6 Ghz (x2) and 4GB of RAM,so while not "cutting edge" by any stretch of the imagination,it should be more than enough horsepower to tow this little pony. :P

I still have the JARs for your client,so if i get bored in the near future I will try to beta this crash issue and submit you the details as maybe mine will reveal a detail the others have not,specifically i will try to get a "world" crash Vs. a "town" crash to compare and see if perhaps that shed some light.

In the future perhaps not be so side-stepping in your responses,I if not others know we're dealing with flawed and messy technology here (Java) and "I dont know" is a perfectly acceptable and respectable answer. ;)
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks for the extra info; two remarks though

1) don't let the graphics of this game fool you. There are some pretty (ridiculously) high polygon-count models in-game (looking at you, radishes!), and the client typically needs 300-400MB of memory for just the barebones meshes/textures.
2) I have to disagree with the statement that Java is a 'flawed and messy' technology. I'm not a big fun of Oracle's take on Java (a.o. the 'security' setting of not allowing self-signed programs), but I have to concur with previous discussions made by the previous devs about it being the best choice for the client. I know most people don't ever notice or need it, but the clients run flawlessly across Windows and Linux (or at least, equally well), which is a very rare thing indeed.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Bleuwulf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Kandarim wrote:Thanks for the extra info; two remarks though

1) don't let the graphics of this game fool you. There are some pretty (ridiculously) high polygon-count models in-game (looking at you, radishes!), and the client typically needs 300-400MB of memory for just the barebones meshes/textures.
2) I have to disagree with the statement that Java is a 'flawed and messy' technology. I'm not a big fun of Oracle's take on Java (a.o. the 'security' setting of not allowing self-signed programs), but I have to concur with previous discussions made by the previous devs about it being the best choice for the client. I know most people don't ever notice or need it, but the clients run flawlessly across Windows and Linux (or at least, equally well), which is a very rare thing indeed.

I did not mean to sound as if belittling or underestimating Salems' graphical output,or imply that I am an expert,all I know is:

1) i run several imminently recognizable titles such as the aforementioned Minecraft and for instance Second Life,which,graphically,are FAR more demanding in terms of hardware capability,and have little or no issues whatsoever,and thus am not (I believe) wrong in assuming this particular offering should not be so rife with issues,in other words,it's NOT my hardware's fault. and,

2) again while not an expert,i run with/dabble in some programming circles,and I have heard from many who WOULD call themselves an "expert" that,while it has it's desirable features,Java is NOT the preferred choice for programming lanuage in most applications,for that matter it isnt even necessarily the preferred choice in object-oriented,statically typed language,depending on the specific desired results from a given application....
Bleuwulf

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 pm

1) Indeed, it doesn't matter how complex a scene looks, it's all about polygon count. On that account, have a look at radishes
2) Again, I concur. However, the requirements posed by the client (portable code over platforms, without requesting non-standard libraries to have been installed by the user), and the bonus of the ease of use of Java Webstart, eliminate most of the usual suspects. For the remainder, it was down to preference of the original devs, but I still believe they made the right choice.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Bleuwulf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm

I feel foolish not thinking of and mentioning it before,and I don't know if it may apply for some or all others with issues, but mine is a 64-bit system,could that possibly have something to do with it?
Bleuwulf

Postby Taipion » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Bleuwulf wrote:I feel foolish not thinking of and mentioning it before,and I don't know if it may apply for some or all others with issues, but mine is a 64-bit system,could that possibly have something to do with it?

That should not make a difference, yet, your installed java version could do.
I'm running a 64bit OS without any problems, I run many clients at once and yet experience maybe 1-2 crashs per month.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Bleuwulf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:09 am

Taipion wrote:
Bleuwulf wrote:I feel foolish not thinking of and mentioning it before,and I don't know if it may apply for some or all others with issues, but mine is a 64-bit system,could that possibly have something to do with it?

That should not make a difference, yet, your installed java version could do.
I'm running a 64bit OS without any problems, I run many clients at once and yet experience maybe 1-2 crashs per month.

*nods* I know that 64 bit causes various intermittent and compatibility related issues in numerous software and applications so i figured i'd mention it just in case...
Bleuwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana