Droj's World Map

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Droj's World Map

Postby Droj » Sat May 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Here's my version of a modified salem world map using google maps. I've put in a request for a backup copy of imrielle's maps. (this map points to her map resources @ dropbox) If it's a problem please let me know, I also left credit to you on the map page itself.

http://salemres.5gbfree.com/ - Currently unavailable 02/09

Main modification is the ability to place markers anywhere on either map. To begin with there are 6 marker types: town, homestead, mine, well, KOS & Ally; I have plans to add more. Each marker's infobox is editable and you can easily paste in html code from imgur or locally even for screenshots. All markers are stored locally using HTML5 web storage. I've only tested this in Chrome thus far but I'm more than welcome to feedback, bugs finds etc. There is also the option to delete them.

I wasn't aware of any other project like this until I conversed with wishy =) He has his own uber map like this with markers and what knot but built in php/mysql for better user collaboration. However he's mentioned it hasn't been updated for a long time and so I said I'd take a look at it and try to improve/merge projects.

To-do list:
- better coordinate system to match grid (game world) coords
- more marker types
- user guide (in progress)
- other overlay types, lines, polys etc
- improved browser compatibility
- import/export markers-json
- possible merge of projects to php/mysql structure (See above)

Can't think of anything else right now but your welcome to suggest.

Map Collaboration

If you would like to send me your map files to add to the world map, drop an email to mapping@salemres.5gbfree.com with either the files attached or a link to an online source.

User Guide
Adding a new marker.
To add marker click on the desired marker type's icon located on right side control bar. You will then be prompted to chose a title. (optional but better for searching - more on that) The marker will be placed at the
map's centre. You can move it's location by left-click dragging.

Current marker (icon) types:
Town, Homestead, Mine, Well, KOS, Ally.

Editing a marker.
Currently only the marker's infobox and location is changeable. You can change it's location by left click dragging the marker. By default all marker's infoboxes are created with sample content. To edit it double left click on the marker. You will then be prompted to make changes, then submit.

Deleting a marker.
If your browser supports HTML5 storage then you can save & delete to/from web storage. (the new age cookie!) To delete a marker right click on it. You will then be prompted for confirmation.

Toggling markers.
There is also the option to set certain types or all markers visible/invisible independently. To toggle the visibility of a particular type of marker, use the checkbox located next to the marker's icons on the right side control bar. To toggle the visibility of all the markers use the checkbox located above.

Marker stats.
Listed over the marker's type icon on the right side control bar is the current number of markers of that type currently on the map. This is updated when markers are added/removed. Above that is the total number of markers on the map, also updated.

Coordinates.
There's a small textbox at the top of the map that currently displays the lat & lng of the map's centre. You can enter a world coordinate in there, hit enter and the map will take you there. The coordinate format is (lat, lng). You can also toggle another overlay that displays the game's tile coordinates and a grid.

Searching for a marker/location.
It is also possible using the coordinates textbox to search for markers/locations that you placed. Search criteria is based on the marker's title, so it's recommend you set it to something unique however it's only limited to it's type when created. Currently all matches are explicit, to search for a location, the title must be an exact match. If a search has multiple results it will return false.

You can have the same title for different marker types but you must prefix the correct key type when searching for it. 

Key types are currently:
town, hs, mine, well, kos, ally

For example, there are two markers titled 'good', a mine and a well. To search for the well I would prefix the key type to the title like so:

well:good

Prefixing is done by using a colon.
Last edited by Droj on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Re: Droj's World Map

Postby belgear » Sat May 25, 2013 1:40 pm

nice job!

ETA:I can't actually access the maps :(
Last edited by belgear on Sat May 25, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belgear
Customer

Postby Pjotr84 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Wow, this will very much come in handy. Thanks a lot.
Mushibag wrote: Pjotr confirmed racist.

RIP Gemini
Pjotr84

Postby iotuegli » Sat May 25, 2013 1:44 pm

:O very hige work :O

just some easy questions:
- why we should post our location/location of every1 else we know in a shared map?
- the pointers in map (town, mine, well ecc ecc) are stored in my PC or in your map o.O?
i'm the one who run :|
David Guetta - Titanium
iotuegli

Postby Droj » Sat May 25, 2013 2:38 pm

iotuegli wrote::O very hige work :O

just some easy questions:
- why we should post our location/location of every1 else we know in a shared map?
- the pointers in map (town, mine, well ecc ecc) are stored in my PC or in your map o.O?

The markers currently are not viewable by anybody else but yourself. They are stored in your browser with reference to the website using HTML5 web storage. This works very much like the old cookies but are far more secure.

belgear wrote:nice job!

ETA:I can't actually access the maps :(

Are the images not loading, could you be more specific? What browser are you using?
***** the Treaty!
Droj

Postby Kandarim » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm

this is awesome and you deserve a lot of kudos for this!
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby iotuegli » Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm

i have to send you my map :3?

or can i simply add somewhere?
i'm the one who run :|
David Guetta - Titanium
iotuegli

Postby Droj » Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm

iotuegli wrote:i have to send you my map :3?

or can i simply add somewhere?

I would need to get the maps from imrielle first then merge them and create the correct zoom levels.
***** the Treaty!
Droj

Postby colesie » Sat May 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Moved to Arcana
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby sebastion » Sun May 26, 2013 1:30 am

Nice! Thank you very much for this!

I have not been able to access the other maps for a long time now.
sebastion

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana