MapMerger. Maps optimizer.

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

MapMerger. Maps optimizer.

Postby soos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm

MapMerger 3.1

Optimizes "map" directory contents by merging session maps containing same fragments. Original (not optimized) maps stays untoched by program.

Instructions:
  1. Download program here
  2. Copy to the folder containig map sessions (most probably, <user home dir>/Salem/map/game.salemthegame.com/)
  3. Run program with an appropriate parameters and wait until it ends
  4. Program creates folder called 'merged' which contains optimized (merged) variant of session maps

Usage:
Code: Select all
usage: mapmerger [options]
  options:
    -h, --help             show this hint and exit
    -v, --verbose          set verbose
    -i, --ignore MD5_HASH  add MD5_HASH to ignore list to avoid comparing tiles with this hash
    -s, --src PATH         path to unmerged maps (default is current working directory)
    -d, --dst PATH         path to save merged maps to (dafault is "<current dir>/merged/")
    -e, --enough           number of tiles with equal hash enough for merge (default is 2)
    -g, --debug            run program in debug mode. forces verbose on

Debug mode is much slower because it runs "problematic" tiles search after each merge and it ends after the first "problematic" tile found.
Its recommended to run program with output redirection to file, for example, "mapmerger.exe -v -s path\to\maps -d temp\ > log.txt", to have a possibility to see full output log.

If you want to help in development you can send zipped unoptimized map directories to email soos.gaming@gmail.com

How to view session maps:
  1. From the sources dir download files map.html and currentsession.js.
  2. Put this files to the maps folder.
  3. Open currentsession.js in text editor and replace session name with one you want to view, save the file.
  4. Open map.html in your browser.

Sources: here
Older versions: MapMerger 2.0 MapMerger 2.1 MapMerger 3.0
Last edited by soos on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
soos

Re: MapMerger. Maps optimizer.

Postby alloin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am

I took this tool more then a week ago from the russian forums,

It's a great tool, tested it on small mapfolders and it went great !!!

I'm processing over 17.000 mapfolders now, the tool is already running for 7 days lol :shock:
Hope the result will be worth it !!!
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby soos » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm

alloin wrote:I'm processing over 17.000 mapfolders now, the tool is already running for 7 days lol :shock:

Wow! A great challenge for my little tool.
But I'm afraid that you are using 2.x version which is written in Python. Main difference in 3 version is that it rewritten from scratch in D, so it works much faster than 2.x versions. And now I'm working on version 3.1 which will be improved with output verbosity and other usefull flags. Stay tuned and stop torment your machine :D
soos

Postby alloin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 pm

soos wrote:
alloin wrote:I'm processing over 17.000 mapfolders now, the tool is already running for 7 days lol :shock:

Wow! A great challenge for my little tool.
But I'm afraid that you are using 2.x version which is written in Python. Main difference in 3 version is that it rewritten from scratch in D, so it works much faster than 2.x versions. And now I'm working on version 3.1 which will be improved with output verbosity and other usefull flags. Stay tuned and stop torment your machine :D

Heya

thanks again for the great tool,

I tried version 3.0 on 3000 folders (+/- 40.000 tiles) and before i knew it, it was finished, so the new version is 100x faster indeed =)
I did however had a messy end-result, with things like this:
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Yourgrandmother » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Don't post pictures of my base you jerk.
Yourgrandmother

Postby soos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 pm

version 3.1 is out!

see the first port for details.
soos

Postby soos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 pm

alloin wrote:I tried version 3.0 on 3000 folders (+/- 40.000 tiles) and before i knew it, it was finished, so the new version is 100x faster indeed =)
I did however had a messy end-result, with things like this:

Unfortunately, incorrect merges like this one is possible because of 3 reasons:
  1. There really can be tiles with the same image on them (idential pieces of map)
  2. Ender client in rare situations saves tiles in incorrect places, so this can be a result of merge of incorrect maps
  3. There were MD5 hash collisions (this is near impossible situation, but its still can be, so I'll add --paranoid mode with hash collision check in the next version)
What you can do to avoid incorrect merges:
  1. Run program with --enough parameter increased so incorrect merge is dissapear
  2. Try to find and delete a reason of incorrect merge. For this you should run program with -g parameter and analize the output. Paste it here so that I can explain the output details.
soos

Postby Jalpha » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 am

I can't get any version to run. The application starts, a blank dosbox opens and then rapidly closes.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby soos » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 am

Jalpha wrote:I can't get any version to run. The application starts, a blank dosbox opens and then rapidly closes.

Run it from command shell to see whats wrong.
soos

Postby Tamasin » Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 am

i'm having the same problem. i don't know how to run things from the command shell (i don't even know what it is). i did try using run.... C:\Users\xxxxx\Salem\mapmerger-3.1.exe but it just did the same thing, and i didn't find anything out. please if anyone can help me get this working i'd be really gratefull.
Tamasin
Customer

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana