Safe Maps - Illustrated

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Safe Maps - Illustrated

Postby RuneNL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there would be any interest in world maps that are illustrated?
(simple map, NOT THIS http://www253.pair.com/jfazli/1633MHJ/hondius_italia/6.jpg... for now anyway)

What I would need are simply the lines, coasts lines, mountain lines, biome lines etc.
I do not wan't maps with settlements/claims on, if they are I would not include them in the map.

All in all, I would like to know if there is any interests for this and who would like to help me.

Shoot!

Edit: Maybe this belongs in "Help", I do not know. If so, please do move this topic dear mods.

Edit2: I've been trying to map out JamesTown at the moment. Also do I have quite a bit of map of West and South Plymouth. Any mappers, rangers or simply map collectors willing to share (preferably) censored maps?
Last edited by RuneNL on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuneNL

Re: Safe Maps - Illustrated

Postby m4sCaRpWn » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

This would be amazing. I would be literally of zero help. But man, would I ever like to have a look at it if it ever gets done.
The sweat and blood shed by its people had established a strong foundation upon which the most powerful entity in the world would be built.
m4sCaRpWn

Postby RuneNL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm

m4sCaRpWn wrote:This would be amazing. I would be literally of zero help. But man, would I ever like to have a look at it if it ever gets done.

I think it would be useful for new players or players that want to move/explore.

By making a map, that is not in-game map-tiles, noone runs the risk of getting mapped/exposed.
For that same reason I have not uploaded the map tiles to http://salem.comlu.com/.

But having a "blank" map opens up new possibilities.

Simple example, people can mark where they have been raided so we can track danger.
Realism? Yeah, it's called news :)
RuneNL

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:07 am

I think this is a good idea. I'm fascinated by the size and scope of the world, and would like to be able to just SEE what it looks like.
Low FPS? Love Pixels? Try my new graphics pack! It's Pixelicious. :)
Compost Bin purity formula: Now doing science to earthworms
Hans_Lemurson

Postby Wournos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 am

I think this would be nice. Especially when it comes to showing cliffs or mountains.
I would offer to help you but I'm already helping imrielle with the "official" maps, as well as working on other things.
Reminder to self: Patience is a virtue.
If Apple blocks Java on Mac: delete
Wournos

Postby RuneNL » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Wournos wrote:I think this would be nice. Especially when it comes to showing cliffs or mountains.
I would offer to help you but I'm already helping imrielle with the "official" maps, as well as working on other things.

Then, if I can help you guys, let me know.

My prefference goes to non revealing maps, don't want to supply that information to raiders :).
RuneNL

Postby trinh » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:35 pm

When you play a little, you are getting familiar with surroundings of your camp... Those maps may help only when you are looking for a base... it will give you maybe 1h extra time which you would spend on checking closest area of your new camp. Those maps are good only for raiders (mostly) and for rangers (are there any huh?).

I have over 4GB maps collected on my disk, but I won't spoil those areas (which most are undisclosed).

Safe maps = no maps at all.
Image Plymouth! Live free or die trying. #salem @ synIRC statistics ⚔⚔⚔⚔
trinh

Postby RuneNL » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:53 am

trinh wrote:When you play a little, you are getting familiar with surroundings of your camp... Those maps may help only when you are looking for a base... it will give you maybe 1h extra time which you would spend on checking closest area of your new camp. Those maps are good only for raiders (mostly) and for rangers (are there any huh?).

I have over 4GB maps collected on my disk, but I won't spoil those areas (which most are undisclosed).

Safe maps = no maps at all.

I ment general shapes of the land.

But I see perfect reason in what you say. Besides not many seem to be too interested.

Back to walling myself in.
RuneNL

Postby drmex » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Anything ever come of this? I'd be interested in helping.
drmex

Postby jcwilk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 pm

drmex wrote:Anything ever come of this? I'd be interested in helping.

Thanks for rezzing this great idea :D It would be -super- fun to see a human interpretted version of a certain area, and then go voyage off to explore it while trying to match the parts you find to the illustrated map... And then eventually seeing what the real lands are which were illustrated. It's kind of a drag doing this with real maps (not that there's a reliable, public source of them) because you already know exactly what you're going to get so there's very little reward or surprise... Aside from perhaps finding an active, unprotected base >: D
JohnCarver wrote:This way no matter how bad my day gets, a text message that one of you died to madness always seems to brighten it.
jcwilk

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana