Question/idea: modular custom clients?

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Question/idea: modular custom clients?

Postby Banok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:11 am

What if custom clients were modular and so you could download single mods for your client instead of a whole custom client. So you could take just the aspects enders and bdsalem that you wanted/liked.

I guess in theory a coder could do this himself, but im talking about making it accessible ie modular. I'm curious what ender and APXE think about this, what is to be lossed/gained for them personally? is there really need for competition when neither are making these clients for profit?
Banok

Re: Question/idea: modular custom clients?

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:42 am

It would be really hard, because we add lots of core changes. It is not impossible, but to make really good mod system client should be completely reworked.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 am

I'm not exactly an expert but I don't see how it would be possible to do with jnlp.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am

It'd be possible just like you have a radar.xml and config files that stay static.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby EnderWiggin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:29 am

Well, it's totally doable. But will require creation of special custom client that would accept modules. And it would need to be significantly changed to do it properly. And existing clients need to be reworked to make their features modular and compatible with "platform" client.
EnderWiggin

Postby Mrfidler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:It would be really hard, because we add lots of core changes. It is not impossible, but to make really good mod system client should be completely reworked.

EnderWiggin wrote:Well, it's totally doable. But will require creation of special custom client that would accept modules. And it would need to be significantly changed to do it properly. And existing clients need to be reworked to make their features modular and compatible with "platform" client.

So would you two be interested in doing this by any chance? It could make it easier by far for you guys to just get a cool idea and make it available. Plus it could be potentially profitable for each of you cause then each separate change could be placed under a ad-link and you could make some money for your troubles instead of one static client. Just an idea and that since it would be profitable for both maybe you could both work on this project to make it faster.
Mrfidler

Postby APXEOLOG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Mrfidler wrote:So would you two be interested in doing this by any chance? It could make it easier by far for you guys to just get a cool idea and make it available. Plus it could be potentially profitable for each of you cause then each separate change could be placed under a ad-link and you could make some money for your troubles instead of one static client. Just an idea and that since it would be profitable for both maybe you could both work on this project to make it faster.

This client would be completely different from loftar's one, and any core loftar's updates will be pain for it. I don't think there will be modular client until loftar will say any word about it.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Mrfidler » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:
Mrfidler wrote:So would you two be interested in doing this by any chance? It could make it easier by far for you guys to just get a cool idea and make it available. Plus it could be potentially profitable for each of you cause then each separate change could be placed under a ad-link and you could make some money for your troubles instead of one static client. Just an idea and that since it would be profitable for both maybe you could both work on this project to make it faster.

This client would be completely different from loftar's one, and any core loftar's updates will be pain for it. I don't think there will be modular client until loftar will say any word about it.

You make a good point. It would be easiest if loftar took on the idea now that i think of it but he is busy enough.
Mrfidler

Postby Speljohan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 am

I may pick up on this as i've worked extensively with bytecode manipulation and pattern recognition (in particular with heavily obfuscated ZKM code) in the past. I just have to overcome my inherent laziness and actually get stuff done on my spare time! It really is the best way of doing it though. This would also make it rather easy to write a system that stays up-to-date with the official client without manual changes.
Speljohan

Return to Artifice & Arcana