Android client? Might be easy...

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Android client? Might be easy...

Postby Guurzak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm

There's a tool in the Android SDK, "dx", which will supposedly allow compiling of java .class files into Dalvik bytecode for use on android devices. Any enterprising geeks want to take this on as a project? Or has someone already done so?
Guurzak

Re: Android client? Might be easy...

Postby EnderWiggin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:13 pm

This definitely won't be as easy as just recompiling client. Salem heavily relies on AWT for input and some 2D rendering (like text) if I am not mistaken. Android lacks this lib, so those parts would need a rewrite. Other major issue - controls. They created with keyboard and mouse in mind and it will be quite difficult to come up with proper controls for touchscreen. It may even be easier to write new client almost from scratch - taking only some background parts like server interaction, resource handling, rendering. Input and UI need to be completely redone in order to work properly with tablets in mind.
EnderWiggin

Postby robert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 am

everytime i see these types of threads i have to wonder... "why would you want to" i mean do you really want to play salem in the bathroom or in the car or at the movies that bloody badly ??
why is everyone wanting games on a tablet and junk?? :/ honestly dont see the drive for such things (waits for people to want salem on facebook and tumblr too)

good luck to anyone who tries it.. cant see it being really that much better then what we have :/
robert

Postby Kerrigan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

They just want to spend all day by trying to click on chestnut.
Kerrigan

Postby alloin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 am

robert wrote:everytime i see these types of threads i have to wonder... "why would you want to" i mean do you really want to play salem in the bathroom or in the car or at the movies that bloody badly ??
why is everyone wanting games on a tablet and junk?? :/

Cuz not everyone uses low-budget tablets on those places you describe ;)

I for one enjoy using my tablet (which is nearly ¦] as good as your laptop/desktop) on my couch & in my bed,i I wouldn't mind doing small tasks on Salem while watching TV or having sex (cuz that's the only thing i do in my bed) !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Jpwinks001 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Cloud PC gaming = Solved.
Jpwinks001

Postby Kdense » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm

robert wrote: i mean do you really want to play salem in the bathroom

Ummmm... obviously. Having it on my phone sure would beat wiring my bathroom up to my desktop.
Kdense

Return to Artifice & Arcana