Low-memory client

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Low-memory client

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:just tried this for a while and yes it seems smoother and i think i like it a lot. (except for the camera)
i will have to play around with it a bit longer though.
but sadly, i still lag hard in Boston center :( i was kind of expecting id be able to move around in boston a bit more easily. i click and stop for a few seconds and see myself a few steps away from where i was.
(i know i really need to upgrade my pc ... its taking way too longer than i had planned.)

Sometimes I wonder if you're sitting on some kind of mid 90s PC from the screenshots I see and your lag descriptions :p
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:Sometimes I wonder if you're sitting on some kind of mid 90s PC from the screenshots I see and your lag descriptions :p

i use plain "paint" w/ jpeg thus quality gets worse i guess. i enlarge font size so i can read with ease.
my mid 90s PC and ancient Macs are all decorated in a "museum" room for cats to have fun on. i guess this one should be put in there pretty soon too, but still struggling.
8-)

back on topic, after playing on Enders for a while, im starting to see not much difference for some reason. either last patch by Ender made it smoother too, or i just cannot feel the standing benefit of this client (cant feel the trade-off part either). i havent had any crashing issues nor too long loading screen for quite some time ... well, unless i go to boston.
still, the task manager's commit charge mumbo jumbo do show bigger numbers when using Enders, while not on low-memory client. i just cannot feel big differences while navigating through so far. maybe i need more complex objects around to see the difference? ill have to compare default client with low-memory one later.
please let me know if there is something i should particularly pay attention to to see the difference.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:08 pm

a small update, i can have shadow on with this client and actually move around.
but it lags crazy like im in boston :twisted:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Italic_ » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 am

I tried this on my ten-year-old toughbook because my desktop is in transit to school. It works well enough on WinXP32 when not in Boston and I have nothing else running, especially music or a web browser (which is a horrible coincidence for being new to the game). But when I tried it on my Mint partition, Java doesn't even run it. How am I supposed to go about running JNLP files? I've tried calling Java through a terminal and executing the file from a file browser and the terminal.

You said you got this client to run on a 256-MB machine. How did you manage in Boston (also with fire)? I end up lagging for a couple minutes every few steps I take and eventually crash with an error report. It's nice to see it work on this thing when I'm in the countryside, though. Great improvement over the official client. #EDIT: But I just discovered that I have a difficult time with fire. It'll load my character, the environment, and the pile of wood, but the fire just crashes it.#

Intel Pentium M 1.8 GHz single-core
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 128-MB VRAM
WinXP 32
Linux Mint DE
Italic_

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 am

There's been a couple other particle issues with Radeon 9xxx cards, particularly the fire. If you're running slow, odds are it's the video processor slowing you down. When I try to run it on a nVidia Geforce 5200, I'm lucky to get 10 fps with no options on.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 am

Italic_ wrote:But when I tried it on my Mint partition, Java doesn't even run it. How am I supposed to go about running JNLP files? I've tried calling Java through a terminal and executing the file from a file browser and the terminal.

You should call javaws rather than java. ;)

Italic_ wrote:You said you got this client to run on a 256-MB machine. How did you manage in Boston

Well, no; I said I got it to run with a 256 MB heap. That's a different thing. :)

But yes, I noticed that Boston seems a bit problematic for it, and I'm not sure just why. I did notice that stepping outside central Boston and then going back again actually helped, though. Not sure why.
loftar

Postby blacktale » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:19 pm

Got a trouble downloading:
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
blacktale

Postby ShadowTani » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:58 pm

blacktale wrote:Got a trouble downloading:
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Maybe because this is a three year old thread and this client probably isn't even up to date? ;3 It definitively seems like an useful alternative to have though.
ShadowTani

Previous

Return to Artifice & Arcana