Official statement on custom clients / mods

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Official statement on custom clients / mods

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 pm

I just wanted to create this thread so that there will be no misunderstandings.

Paradox Interactive and Seatribe do not encourage the use of custom clients or mods. We do not check the contents of these and can therefore not guarantee that they are free of malicious software. If you decide to use such a client, it is entirely at your own risk.

If you find that a mod/client in this forum contains malicious software, post information about it in this thread ASAP.

Regards,
John
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Re: Official statement on custom clients / mods

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I have a longstanding gripe about this issue. And the legal butt coverage, while expected, does not make me happier about the situation.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:I have a longstanding gripe about this issue. And the legal butt coverage, while expected, does not make me happier about the situation.

Please explain this gripe, either here or in PM if that is more fitting.

To clarify, there have yet to be any issues with any of the custom clients that exist now. This is simply (so far) to warn for any potential future problems and conflicts.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby dullahx » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 pm

I think the common gripe is the same thing as in haven.
People like Ender or Apxeolog made really nice clients, with fair features and made them publicy available.
There are other hidden clients, with builtin scripting engines and auto foraging, which are less fair for the common gamers.
dullahx

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:06 pm

dullahx wrote:There are other hidden clients, with builtin scripting engines and auto foraging, which are less fair for the common gamers.

...that allow them, for instance, to run several clients at the same time and auto-forage enough hay to spam on their fields and get tier 4 farmed products ~10 days after the world is created within few mouse-clicks(-literally, I am not joking here ).
Whats the stance on this kind of bots-clients?
I personally find this an absurd in the game on which people spend their money.
Glennfinnan

Postby sabinati » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:07 pm

you have some proof of this?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 am

Glennfinnan wrote:...that allow them, for instance, to run several clients at the same time and auto-forage enough hay to spam on their fields and get tier 4 farmed products ~10 days after the world is created within few mouse-clicks(-literally, I am not joking here ).
Whats the stance on this kind of bots-clients?
I personally find this an absurd in the game on which people spend their money.

That's why J&L tries to make this game unbottable. There is no way to determine what client player use - custom, or default, network messages could be emulated easily. Even with default client people can use AutoIT and such programs so you will always have people who use bots. If there will be lot's of players who use private clients with script-engines i will just add one to my client, so everyone will be in same conditions and J&L will see what mechanics are botted by people and how can they avoid it.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah, the problem here is obviously that there is no invariance penalty for fertilizers.
Potjeh

Postby Droj » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Potjeh wrote:Yeah, the problem here is obviously that there is no invariance penalty for fertilizers.

You do realise how long it would take to reach better tiered crops with an invariance penalty?
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Droj wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Yeah, the problem here is obviously that there is no invariance penalty for fertilizers.

You do realise how long it would take to reach better tiered crops with an invariance penalty?

You do realize that it should take a long time?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana