World Map of Plymouth

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

World Map of Plymouth

Postby imrielle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 am

Since this site seems to no longer be updated, anyone care to share their Plymouth map files?
Here is a download link to my nearly 7k tile file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf9w4agzq3c0a ... .02.06.rar
Tile 0, 0 is set to Boston, and the top four tiles in the north are in the darkness - I sent an alt exploring until I found it. Need to explore more to the south now to find it there, as well. A good chunk of what I have explored to the north is not on the AD map.
I'll keep updating this as I explore more, though I would happily welcome anyone elses additions to my map.

Once I figure out some way to neatly create zoom levels, I'll see about setting up a web page with what I have, and with what (if anything) people care to contribute. Or, if the person maintaining the AD map starts working on it again, they are more than welcome to include what I have here on theirs.
imrielle
Customer

Re: World Map of Plymouth

Postby alexbar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 pm

When I opened that world map rar file it is just a bunch of PNG....Is there a file in here that puts it all together?
alexbar

Postby staxjax » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:13 pm

alexbar wrote:When I opened that world map rar file it is just a bunch of PNG....Is there a file in here that puts it all together?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... r-s-client
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby alexbar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Gotcha, and we ourselves are using that program.

Just thought she may include the already merged file.
alexbar

Postby jwhitehorn » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

What is everybodies preferred method to get around the .jpg limitations on pixel sizes/widths?

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby alexbar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Dunno if this helps you Capt. but we use .png files.
alexbar

Postby JinxDevona » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 am

So will there be a map of Plymouth again? Is someone working on one we can all use like the old one?
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby imrielle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 pm

I have a partial one uploaded to a temporary host: http://salem.comlu.com/maps.php?plym

I don't have nearly the same amount of area mapped on there as the old one, but would like to. As I mentioned in the James/Roanoke thread, this host is slow but when I get home from the holidays I'll be setting up real web hosting and uploading the rest of the map files (this free host has a file limit of 10,000 files. I hit that with only a quarter of the map tiles I have of Plymouth - 8200 odd tiles, which I piece into 200x200 tiles, then the zoom levels.... yeah this free host cried I imagine.). I am working on making these base tiles even larger - something like 400x400 pixels - but its not going so well. The coordinates on the zoom levels seem to break. The larger images load faster, because there are not as many to load. Here is an example of the 200x200 tiles from Jamestown:
-10, 14, base zoom level set as 6.
-10, 11, zoom level 5

Plymouth is still using the 100x100 tiles because my free host here disabled my uploads for a day, right before I left for the holidays. :lol:

I would do it here, especially since it seems like I may end up being stuck here a week longer than expected, but the net here stinks and I left my debit card at home. :< It took me an hour to patch Salem.

Also, if you want to share your own Plymouth tiles, many <3's. The 8200ish I have I got with an alt just walking, but I don't have enough free time to fully map the server in a timely manner. You can either upload them to a free file host and link them here, or email them to me at imrielle@gmail.com if you don't want them publicly downloadable. I'll do my best to obscure bases if people send me older tiles that have the pre-built on tiles if people want.
imrielle
Customer

Postby imrielle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 am

jwhitehorn wrote:What is everybodies preferred method to get around the .jpg limitations on pixel sizes/widths?

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe

alexbar wrote:Dunno if this helps you Capt. but we use .png files.

The limitation seems to apply equally to all file types, and especially seems to be a limit with the map tool - anything over 32k by 32k ( a gigapixel) just fails to export. On a system with 12 gigs of ram, 64bit OS, I couldn't even open multiple cropped map files and attach them, Gimp, Photoshop and PaintShop Pro all errored out and crashed. This seems to apply to different dimensions too, 10k by 50k for example.
Even tried in on both Linux and Mac boots, didn't get anywhere. The huge pixel sizes just eat too much memory or something.

Whats odd about this is that I have done several high resolution digital paintings in Corel Painter and MyPaint that have ended up exceeding those pixel sizes (especially with MyPaint's unlimited canvas - unlike Painter, you don't set a canvas size, it just expands forever pretty much. <3 this tool.), and had zero issues.

In summation, before this ends up being a mile long post, I haven't found a way around this limitation, even after processing the PNG files until they were 1-2KB in size.
imrielle
Customer

Postby imrielle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 pm

The Plymouth map is located here: http://salem.zzl.org/maps.php?plym
My old link still works, but will not be updated.
It is still very, very incomplete - while I've had plenty of map tiles sent for Roanoke and Jamestown, I have had none sent for Plymouth. :(
The other servers are showing us up. :p
imrielle
Customer

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana