Which images should I re-size for a minimalist-mod?

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Which images should I re-size for a minimalist-mod?

Postby gustavohvg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 am

And where they are?

I'm planing to make something akin to Judaism's old 64x64 mod - which isn't on the web and no one seem to have anymore (?!).
Main char: Alcabitus
gustavohvg

Re: Which images should I re-size for a minimalist-mod?

Postby Judaism » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Get the Salem layer utility:
http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5417&p=63185&hilit=compiler#p63185

Make sure to read the example usage for it to work, the current download version is not working for Salem anymore, so I pulled an older version here:
https://github.com/boshaw/hafen-layer-util/tree/eb850676f88f225f2cb1e78f448ac23c5d7391a5

You can then compile the Salem files located in your salem/bin files. The main file you'll need to compile is ''salem-res''.
Then you will get most of the files, you will find the tile files in ''res/gfx/tiles'', those will be small images mostly 124x124 and you can edit them and once you're done you can recompile them back to .res files and drop them in your custom_res folder.

When making edits with the res-files make sure that the meta's do match otherwise the automatic updater will reload fresh files from the server instead of loading from your custom_res.

Goodluck and once you've made some mods I'll be sure to check them out.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby dragunov » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:13 am

I think ill give this a try and see how far i can lower the resolutions. The loading times are killer for me atm...
dragunov

Postby gustavohvg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 am

Everything with a command line seems like an unpaid job for me but I'll eventually make the software run an try. I think I'll try 30x30 pixels and 60x60
gustavohvg

Postby Kandarim » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:46 am

for future reference, i have a fork of the layer util that works on the current salem resource files: https://github.com/DonnEssime/salem-layer-util
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby gustavohvg » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Ok I used both versions of Salem Layer Utility (the one Kandarim linked and the one Juda linked) and sucessfully decoded SOME of the images. I did put the software in C:/User/.salem/cached/res/ and used the command (slu:run :mode :da :args '("gfx/" "decoded/gfx/") ).

But the decoding from both versions does not work anymore when I run the command. The software thinks all the decoding is complete since it returns "Processing: 983 files" and "NIL".

The problem is that I only have 2 folders from "tiles" decoded (bone pavement and darkenbone pavement) and my original .salem/cached/res/tiles have 16 files

:?

edit: I'm using a x64 Windows and x64 Java
gustavohvg

Postby Judaism » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm

gustavohvg wrote:Ok I used both versions of Salem Layer Utility (the one Kandarim linked and the one Juda linked) and sucessfully decoded SOME of the images. I did put the software in C:/User/.salem/cached/res/ and used the command (slu:run :mode :da :args '("gfx/" "decoded/gfx/") ).

But the decoding from both versions does not work anymore when I run the command. The software thinks all the decoding is complete since it returns "Processing: 983 files" and "NIL".

The problem is that I only have 2 folders from "tiles" decoded (bone pavement and darkenbone pavement) and my original .salem/cached/res/tiles have 16 files

:?

edit: I'm using a x64 Windows and x64 Java

You used the wrong command, you should decode all res/cache files from res folder into dec folder.

Decode:

Code: Select all
(slu:run :mode :da
         :skip-old nil
         :verbose nil
         :args '("salem/res" "salem/dec"))

So the last phrase is important there, which map do you want to decode from with the example it is ''salem/res'''. Then there is a space and which folder do you want to drop the decoded files to, in the example case it is ''salem/dec''

If you make a single spelling error, it will not work.
 So if you want the dec files back into res you'll use this:

(slu:run :mode :ea
         :args '("salem/dec" "salem/new-res"))

Same thing, ''salem/dec'' are your decoded files and ''salem/new-res'' where it will drop the folders, once again you can change that to your own maps but the names have to be exact.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Aduah » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

Im so sorry, I know squat about java & command line anything.

I'm trying to piece together the instructions, and frankly it all makes no sense to me.

1.) Where do you place these files from the git?
- In users/.salem/cache/res ?
- in users/salem ?
- can the files stay in a separate folder or do all the files have to be placed in a directory?

2.) When I run the bat files, they act like they are compiling things but the command line just stays up when finished, no jar (that I can see) has been compiled/generated.
- am i supposed to run all the commands from the command line?
Aduah

Postby Judaism » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Aduah wrote:
1.) Where do you place these files from the git?
- In users/.salem/cache/res ?
- in users/salem ?
- can the files stay in a separate folder or do all the files have to be placed in a directory?

First make a map and copy paste the files from ''salem-res''. That file is on users/salem/bin.

You can then make a new map, anywhere you like for the salem utility folder, you just have to add the ''salem-res'' folder within that map for it to work.

Aduah wrote:2.) When I run the bat files, they act like they are compiling things but the command line just stays up when finished, no jar (that I can see) has been compiled/generated.
- am i supposed to run all the commands from the command line?

You are not supposed to run all the commands, basically only two I posted earlier, they are the exact commands. It should work, if you run against any compiling errors, you could select the specific files from the ''salem-res'' so you'd only compile what you want to compile, which is much faster and works like a charm for me.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Aduah » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Judaism wrote:First make a map and copy paste the files from ''salem-res''. That file is on users/salem/bin.

You can then make a new map, anywhere you like for the salem utility folder, you just have to add the ''salem-res'' folder within that map for it to work.

What do you mean make a map?

Here is what I've done:
-Copied 'salem-res.jar' into the salem-layer-util folder.
-Extracted 'salem-res.jar' into that folder, which created a 'res' folder.
-Made a folder called 'salem' and dropped the res folder into that folder.
-Ran 'run-abcl.bat'
-On command line pasted
(slu:run :mode :da
         :skip-old nil
         :verbose nil
         :args '("salem/res" "salem/dec"))

-Recieved a folder in 'salem' folder called 'dec', within was borka>airjump.res>skan>0.data

It looks like it tried two files, which only output that 0.data file, and a meta file. I assume im doing something wrong.
Aduah

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana