World Map of Roanoke & Jamestown

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: World Map of Roanoke & Jamestown

Postby imrielle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:47 am

hitori2 wrote:PlanckWalk, you were right: Roanoke is by the south ... please add them to your map

I'll add them as soon as I can, which may be a week later than I expected to. We got hit with a blizzard last week (Ohio Valley area of the USA here), and another big snow storm last night and today. I got a call from my uncle asking me to stay here longer because the roads near my house had 9 inches (22.86 cm) of snow on them still.

Have I mentioned that I hate winter in this region? This is so very frustrating.
imrielle
Customer

Postby KlausT » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Here are 18650 tiles of Roanoke, including Hitori's tiles:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/izbzulgfrkwlp55/Merge%202012-12-30%2019.39.21.zip
The northern part now looks like this:
KlausT

Postby PlanckWalk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:58 am

imrielle wrote:LoL, coding I am not lazy at, hosting however is an issue. Need to find something that isn't going to croak under the load and has plenty of space. I'm guestimating that 1GB of server space is going to be a bare minimum if server maps really are 25,000x25,000 tiles.

The Roanoke map is at least 31,500 x 20,600 pixels from what I've already explored. The south edge has an arbitrary border that could probably be turned off later, the north border is unexplored due to darkness, and the west blocked by a huge mountain. I'd guess it could go to at least 50,000 x 50,000 pixels. The full-detail map tiles average about 1.4 bytes per pixel, but you would also want lower-resolution copies for zoomed-out sections and so forth.

I'd allow at least 5 GB for a whole server map at full detail in PNG format. So long as you do the scaling up front and don't rely on the server to do it on the fly, it shouldn't take much processing power to just hand out pre-scaled tiles. If you use JPEGs instead of PNGs it should compress down to more like 200 MB, and smaller still if you don't have the whole map filled in.

Going futher, there's a lot of texture repetition in the map tiles. I'd be unsurprised if you could store the whole accessible map with full detail in 100 MB. Taking advantage of that would require a bit of custom code in the map viewer though.
PlanckWalk

Postby martinuzz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 am

I am having trouble merging maps. I made two rather large maps, in two game sessions, walking around this mountain blocking the west. After I loaded the two maps into the mapping tool, selected them both, and merged them, the result was incorrect. The two maps were merged compeltely wrong. The program glued them together at a wrong angle, not correct at all

Am I doing something wrong, or is this bugginess of the mapping tool?
Did Claeyt shut up yet?
WARNING: berrymash laxatives can cause your character to explode violently, after eating chymically unstable foods.
martinuzz

Postby ameba » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

martinuzz wrote:I am having trouble merging maps. I made two rather large maps, in two game sessions, walking around this mountain blocking the west. After I loaded the two maps into the mapping tool, selected them both, and merged them, the result was incorrect. The two maps were merged compeltely wrong. The program glued them together at a wrong angle, not correct at all

Am I doing something wrong, or is this bugginess of the mapping tool?

You have to find the minimap they have in common and select it on both maps (with CTRL+LMB) as the merging reference point.
I used to be a pilgrim like you. Then I took an Indian arrow in the head...
ameba

Postby PlanckWalk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:49 am

I haven't used this map merging tool in question, but I'm a great deal surprised if it doesn't automatically find matching patches. Even the simple approach of calculating a hash for each patch and using that to narrow down a more expensive pixel comparison works fine. (Though you might want to "blacklist" featureless terrain such as deep water)
PlanckWalk

Postby Netr0 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 pm

so long as you have a path going to all explored tiles, you will not have a problem. I am at about 25,000 tiles with no observable errors.
Netr0

Postby imrielle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 am

I've moved the map to a different (but still free) host: http://salem.zzl.org/maps.php?james

Roanoke is still uploading, but posting anyway - Plymouth and Jamestown are fully there (well, what I have of them :p). Give it about an hour or so from this post time for Roanoke to be done (7000ish tiles left. Sounds like not much, but they're not the default 100px tiles sizes - thats roughly 28000 tiles worth of map.).
Even with the very slow connection here, this host is much faster at displaying the map. Plus, it doesn't have that stupid 10,000 file limit.
imrielle
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:24 am

not being able to zoom all the way out makes it somewhat difficult to view the maps.
Darwoth

Postby Vibe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 am

Darwoth wrote:not being able to zoom all the way out makes it somewhat difficult to view the maps.

this, other than that, good work!
Vibe

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana