World Map of Roanoke & Jamestown

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: World Map of Roanoke & Jamestown

Postby alloin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 am

I have everything available but the tiles for Plymouth & Jamestown.

Downside is that I'm very lazy and I only make things work which I'm payed for !! :mrgreen:
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Woothie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:45 pm

If hosting is of any issue at all, I know of a hosting company that hosts websites for free, although they are limited in both space and data transfer. Currently the space is capped at 1500mb and data transfer a month. You can cope with the space cap by having it stored off-site.

Optionally you could have it on a dropbox or google drive instead of fooling around with unneccesary hosting. You don't have to have a DNS of your own to make a working website.
Last edited by Woothie on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woothie

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Hosting isn't going to be the problem. There have been a few well established players offer services for hosting a map. The problem is the map scripting and compilation. Nobody has stepped up to do those things. (You're not likely going to find a free web host that will have the bandwidth or space needed, let alone allot you the processing power needed for a project like this, anyway.)
Last edited by MagicManICT on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed my damn typo
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Kandarim » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Woothie wrote:If hosting is of any issue at all, I know of a hosting company that hosts websites for free, although they are limited in both space and data transfer. Currently the space is capped at 1500mb and data transfer a month. You can cope with the space cap by having it stored off-site.

Optionally you could have it on a dropbox or google drive instead of fooling around with unneccesary hosting. You don't have to have a DNS of your own to make a working website.

additionally, imrielle's map used to be hosted on dropbox and it was slow. Her map project and the things she did were awesome, but loading the map was very slow.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby jwhitehorn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

The Tribe has looked into hosting maps. If you are interested using/learning the Google Maps API and/or whatever it is that makes it zoomable let me know Kandarim and we can compensate you for your time and cover any hosting expenses.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby alloin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:41 pm

jwhitehorn wrote:The Tribe has looked into hosting maps. If you are interested using/learning the Google Maps API and/or whatever it is that makes it zoomable let me know Kandarim and we can compensate you for your time and cover any hosting expenses.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe

Didn't I provide you with all tools & scripts ? :mrgreen:
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby jwhitehorn » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:02 pm

alloin wrote:Didn't I provide you with all tools & scripts ? :mrgreen:

"You can give a man a pole and teach him fishing... and he will most likely stand on the corner holding a sign explaining he will work for food. Or you can skip all the ***** and just give him the fish." -- Chief PeePooKaKa

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby DeepSixed » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 am

How much RAM are we talking here? 256GB? or more lol
DeepSixed

Postby qbradq » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Can you advise what scripts are required? Is it just the image scaling and generation of tiles, or the whole solution? Can detailed requirements be given?
qbradq

Postby DeepSixed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 am

This thread is 100% BS

It might have been worth something when it was created... but no more.
DeepSixed

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana