[Project] Proficiencies and skills calculator v0.03

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

[Project] Proficiencies and skills calculator v0.03

Postby Huskell » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:21 am

I know there's some other projects that try to calculate proficiency, but I've not seem any considered decent enough, not saying the systems made are bad, but they are simple. While that attends a group of people, I think a more robust and embracing system is needed. Also a web application that is my objective is proven to be more effective in most situations. Thanks for the comprehension. And also, I'm not afraid of anyone stealing my idea, because I'm confident that I'll do something different from any other application existent to date in this sector.

Hello, I'm a programmer and will be creating a calculator to the skill system of the game. The way it is now, the user has to use a manual method and calculate separate numbers with annoying equations if they want to find the best inspirationals, with that in mind I'm excited to do this project because I'm sure it will help many people. I'm here to ask support and discussions on topic to generate new useful implementations, and also to keep track of all the things I'll do, making it transparent to the community see the progress.

All the inspirationals data will be taken primarily from the wiki, with some alterations based on game updates, user feedback, etc. Values are easily changed and can be done in a couple of minutes, so it's no problem if the wiki is defaced or if an update happens, because players can contact me and will check and alter the values myself.

Game Data:

1. Every time you learn a skill or level a proficiency, the bar of all proficiencies will go back to 0.
2. Proficiencies have a cap based on their current level * 100. Example: level 15 have 1500 cap.
3. If you're leveling a proficiency, the given proficiency will level 2 points and any other capped proficiencies will level 1 point.
4. User inspiration regeneration is based on skills and your current black bile cap.
5. Inpiration can be restored by a set amount using potions.
6. For each inspirational of the same type the user study, the game will increase the needed inspiration to study the same item again. This resets every skill learned or by leveling any proficiency. The rate it escalates is x1.5 of the base value of given inspirational. Example: Aged Driftwood requires 4750 inspiration, it will escalate to 7125, then 9500.

Technical Data:

1. The system will be open at web browsers, primarily support for Chrome and Firefox intended.
2. The system will be made with Angular Javascript.
3. The database will be stored in MySQL with possible further migration to MariaDB after release.
4. If the server gets too many requisitions it can turn to be slow, I have a server, but it's not intended to receive thousands of users, so depending on the acceptance of the system and game among the gaming community I will need donations or something in the future to expand the cap on it.
5. The user interface will be simple and focused on functionality, at beta stage I don't plan to worry about design at all.
6. ETA to beta release: 1 month.

Main functions:

1. Calculate best inpirationals to reach a certain number in one or more proficiencies.
This function will have a form with a field for each proficiency and will suggest the best combination of inspirationals to reach all the given parameters with less Inspiration possible.

2. Give text format list of items suggested.
This can be useful to players that don't want to keep their navigator on at the calculator always. It will be given a user friendly list of inspirationals in text format to copy and paste into your PC. Example of list:
Goal: 2000 Faith and Wisdom (7850 Inspiration needed)
2 x Simple Crucifix - 700 F&W - (1840, 2760) Inspiration*
1 x Wicker Man - 850 F&W - (3250) Inspiration

*Inspiration: Grows at x1.5 rate each time you use the same inspirational in current level/skill.

3. Have skills database.
The user will click the one they want to learn and the calculator will say several Eco alternatives to reach that objective.

4. Way to ignore certain types of inspirationals.
Sometimes people don't want some inspiritionals to show on the list of suggested ones, it can be because it's too expensive/bothersome, or because they don't have the necessary skills to craft given one. In which cases they can select to ignore them and the system will recalculate the optimal list of objects again.

5. Materials database
Give a list of the materials needed to craft each inspirational suggested by the calculator.

Final Thoughts
1. I'm limited as a human being and have my work and studies to do, this project comes in second and can or not work depending on difficulties and community support and acceptance.
2. This is a community based project that appeared from a necessity of mine, I'm sure you're bothered by it as well, so any reply, suggestion, correction, is gladly received and will be given a good amount of attention.
3. I'm not an Angular Javascript pro, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to program. I'm learning the language and this project was a way I found to motivate myself to study it, because of that it can take me some time to learn the language and be effective at it, I would say about 6 days.
4. The beta, that's estimated to be release open to public in around 3 weeks will have only the main function, that I've considered to be 1 and 2 of the functions list, community discussions in priority is acceptable with proper reasoning.

It's still a small project, but I count with your support. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Huskell on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huskell

Update v0.02

Postby Huskell » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Update v0.02

1. A database created and with all the data needed inside. For now, it has all the skills, proficiencies and inspirationals available on the wiki. (That was a lot of handwork).
2. Almost finishing to learn Angular JS, then I can start to develop the software itself.
3. Thinking about layout, have some models in mind already.
4. Developed a working formula and logic to calculate the best group of inspirationals to achieve the goal written by the user. I'm optimizing this function to make it faster.
5. Must have some working prototypes next week. I'll make several layouts and post them here for you.
Huskell

Re: [Project] Proficiencies and skills calculator v0.02

Postby trungdle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Go go Huskell!
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby majtejn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:59 pm

I like your idea a lot. I did want to expand the last calculator project with functions like this.
I'm a programmer but I have nothing to do with javascript so can't help with that.
For wiki data extraction I used this: https://import.io/
If you don't know it I can help with my existing queries.

If I can help with anything just ask.
majtejn

Postby Huskell » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 pm

majtejn wrote:I like your idea a lot. I did want to expand the last calculator project with functions like this.
I'm a programmer but I have nothing to do with javascript so can't help with that.
For wiki data extraction I used this: https://import.io/
If you don't know it I can help with my existing queries.

If I can help with anything just ask.

That's too bad, I already did the Database =/

For now there's no impediment, but when I begin implementing problems will happen for sure. Thank you for the support.
Huskell

Re: [Project] Proficiencies and skills calculator v0.03

Postby Huskell » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Update v0.03

1. Finished learning AngularJS, now I can start programming, but will need to search if any advanced topics are needed.
2. The function that I had developed earlier to calculate the optimal inspirationals didn't work as expected. In theory, it's all good and clean, but when you begin codding you see the things explode, trying to come up with a viable alternative.
3. Making an update to make pages load faster, icons take too much time and database is not the best, trying to find a better way to deal with this.
4. Will post some screenshoots in some hours with layouts and these kind of things, can't post a working prototype until I solve the formula tho.
Huskell

Postby ksersmustdie » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:57 am

You've got my support :)
ksersmustdie

Postby Beppe » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:31 pm

I made mine by having the program combine up to 4 inspirationals at a time and then calculate wasted inspirational points afterwards. Bad side is it takes my laptop up to 3 mins to go through all combinations.
maybe this helps somehow
Beppe
Customer

Postby pryos » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 am

I use only a calc document and my brain for that task, but 3 minutes sounds too much.

Whats your method?
Do you pick every combination? Or overall efficiency?
I think the best is a combination of overall efficiency and the hardest skill of maybe 1/3 of the top efficiency.
pryos

Return to Artifice & Arcana