Proficiency learning optimizer

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby EnderWiggin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

Nice, working better now. Can you add checkbox to multiply proficiencies by 100? That way it would be a bit easier to setup for raising proficiency levels.
User avatar
EnderWiggin
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:12 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby Luaan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Yes wrote:Yeah, thanks. "AppData\Roaming\SalemOptimizer\SalemOptimizer.exe_Url_blabla\1.5.1.0\user.config" needs to be copied from previous versions to the new one.


Yeah, you can always do it manually. There's also an automatic upgrade though, and it works fine for me (and at least one other computer unrelated to mine), so I'm not sure what's the problem with the auto-upgrade.

EnderWiggin wrote:Nice, working better now. Can you add checkbox to multiply proficiencies by 100? That way it would be a bit easier to setup for raising proficiency levels.


I tend to use the mousewheel for that. The tricky part is that different mice (and mouse configurations) scroll by different amounts. Maybe I could hack the scrolling somehow to go 100 at a time always? So you'd just need to rotate your wheel two places to get to the next "level"?

Sipo wrote:Any way to copy to clipboard? Anyway to double click and open a window with the inspirationals to study?
It's not good at high levels without those features.


I wanted to add that, but didn't find it too necessary. Your proficiencies are pretty intimidating :D Is there really even a point in having so much?
Luaan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 am

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby loftar » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Gernot wrote:This is not true in this case. For this to be a Knapsack problem, the amount of inspiration you are willing to spend would have to be limited.

That's not really the reason it's not a knapsack problem, though; it's just that the bound is the proficiency levels you want to reach rather than the inspiration to spend. The spent inspiration is, rather, the value you want to optimize.

If anything, the reason it's not is rather because the order of items matters, which is not the case in the standard knapsack problem.
User avatar
loftar
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 am
Location: In your character database, shuffling bits

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:04 pm

loftar wrote:
Gernot wrote:This is not true in this case. For this to be a Knapsack problem, the amount of inspiration you are willing to spend would have to be limited.

That's not really the reason it's not a knapsack problem, though; it's just that the bound is the proficiency levels you want to reach rather than the inspiration to spend. The spent inspiration is, rather, the value you want to optimize.

If anything, the reason it's not is rather because the order of items matters, which is not the case in the standard knapsack problem.


But the order of the items does not matter anymore in the current system ;) Their cost just increases super-linearly with their amount.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
User avatar
Kandarim
Customer
 
Posts: 5308
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 pm

loftar wrote:If anything, the reason it's not is rather because the order of items matters, which is not the case in the standard knapsack problem.


I took a heapdump in your knapsack.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby Sipo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 pm

I find it necessary for those who are trying to master skills or get the Lucky skill. People need over 500 or 800 proficiencies at some point. In my case i can just use this program for perennial philosophy. So please add this feature.
Image
Sipo
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby Luaan » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Sipo wrote:I find it necessary for those who are trying to master skills or get the Lucky skill. People need over 500 or 800 proficiencies at some point. In my case i can just use this program for perennial philosophy. So please add this feature.


I've just released a new version and it has a solution detail window - just activate the solution (click it twice). I made it scrolling and stay on top, since I assume people are going to have it hanging over their Salem window.

It should also significantly improve the performance - I had to do a few things in a somewhat uglier way, but nothing too bad. In my testing, the time to find a solution is about half of the one before. It's much more noticeable when you don't have that many inspirationals, but it does help even for your scenario :) I have a few ideas to improve the performance of that as well, but it's going to be a bit more work.
Luaan
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:44 am

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby loftar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 am

Kandarim wrote:But the order of the items does not matter anymore in the current system ;) Their cost just increases super-linearly with their amount.

Well, sure, I admit I was thinking of the previous system, but it still matters how you order the items between level-ups. And the issue that the relation between items and cost is no longer linear is at least semi-related as well. :)

JohnCarver wrote:I took a knapsack of your heapdump.
User avatar
loftar
 
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 am
Location: In your character database, shuffling bits

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby Gernot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:45 am

JohnCarver wrote:
loftar wrote:If anything, the reason it's not is rather because the order of items matters, which is not the case in the standard knapsack problem.


I took a heapdump in your knapsack.


Damn, I only got 3 fine leather. Too few for a new one. Now I've got to run around with this stinky piece of "dump" ;)
Gernot
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 am

Re: Proficiency learning optimizer

Postby majtejn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:10 am

Man, your work is too good. I abandoned my project...

EDIT: The only idea I'd like to see is to be able to set a difficulty (1-10) for each item. So i can tell the program how hard is something to get.
majtejn
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Artifice & Arcana

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests