Java Security Settings

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Java Security Settings

Postby Kandarim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Or: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

A few days ago, oracle has updated the java runtimes to 7u51. Starting with this update, self-signed webstart applications are completely blocked in the default security settings. If this is the case for you, you'll see this screen (for the custom clients, for the vanilla client the name and location will differ):

Sadly, oracle decided to screw up independent and low-budget (or non-profit) developers with their latest update. To get around this issue, you open the java control panel: javacpl.exe. Make sure to open the right control panel (you'll have a different one for each java installation you have). In the control panel, go to the security tab and lower the security to "medium". (notice how oracle implies they don't have an option for low security? wishful thinking, I say)

Additionally, with the most recent versions of Java you also have to include the download locations as 'trusted':
http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8388&start=20#p167676

This will once again allow you to launch the clients (both the default and the custom ones)
Last edited by Kandarim on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Cheena » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Well thank you. I don't have this problem cause ***** Java update, but I've seen a lot of people having this problem so, thanks a lot for them. You're awesome :D
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby Syndarn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Or, if Java 7.

Darkness is unknowing, Light is knowing. Shed light to the Darkness to transform it into knowing. Thus it becomes Light.
Darkness is the absence of thought.
Syndarn

Postby Kandarim » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Cheena wrote:Well thank you. I don't have this problem cause ***** Java update, but I've seen a lot of people having this problem so, thanks a lot for them. You're awesome :D

well, yeah. I don't normally update my java as faithfully, but given earlier problems with the clients / latest java updates concerning the security settings, i've taken to following the latest update :)

Thanks syndarn for the additional screenshots.
darn, you know XP is now officially outdated, right ? :D
Kandarim
Customer

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks, Kandarim. This has been an issue since u45. I'll sticky this for a while as I'm sure there will be more coming around when they find this update doesn't work any better than the last.

If Oracle would patch security holes instead of just dodging around them....

side note: XP has been outdated since 7, but there's a ton of people out there still running computers that won't run 7 effective due to RAM, processor, or video. Microsoft has announced multiple times they're ending support of XP, but every single time there's been enough customer "encouragement" to get them to drop the date. Support is set to end in March, I believe, and it looks like it is going through this time.

At this point, Java 8 won't support XP when it is released. Just a heads up. No idea if it will be more secure than 7 or not. I believe the Java source is usually available, though, and unless it is fully 64 bit (no 32 bit support), a group could, in theory, act as 3rd party support. If you need to upgrade to 8 and are still running XP, it's something to look for.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Syndarn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 am

Kandarim wrote:darn, you know XP is now officially outdated, right ? :D

Yeah. i should upgrade . This is a old pc that is Running a label Printing Software . Not sure if Win 7-8 Can handle it. its very old 16- bit prog. : )
Darkness is unknowing, Light is knowing. Shed light to the Darkness to transform it into knowing. Thus it becomes Light.
Syndarn

Postby cerebralcow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 am

I have Java 7 build 15 but I can't find an exceptions list anywhere in the settings. Where do I go to add an exception to Java?

Also just in case I'm having a different problem my security settings keep getting reset to high when I try to run the Salem client.
cerebralcow

Postby Kandarim » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Kandarim wrote:A few days ago, oracle has updated the java runtimes to 7u51. Starting with this update
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Monsterix » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

That excepion doesnt help in my case. Same message about blocked self-signed program
Monsterix

Postby Syndarn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Might sound abit dumb to ask, but are you sure you entered the correct adress?
Syndarn

Next

Return to Bugs & Technicalities