Java Security Settings

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Gromar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Image


Funny how the "lowest" possible security level is "medium".
Gromar
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Emina » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:26 pm

wow i have been searching the forum like crazy for some help to my problem like this one. But the title on this thread doesnt really help us users to find it. maybe add something like how to java security settings or something like that.

so i just came back after buying this new computer that took a wile to asemble. Having to download everything a new now, and since i saw the talk about that Ender was most likley not gonna keep updating hes client, (wich i feel really sad about since i have been using it for ages and i just love hes work, he never overdoes anything keeps it very basic functional). but anyway i realize now i probably have to move on to Latikais version in the end wich seems to be the most similar to Enders.

so now im getting exaktley this problem that java security wont let me download and is blocking this "http://DonnEssime.github.io"
i dont really recognize this since it used to be "http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" so im wondering first of all if this DonnEssime.github.io is legit? and if it is, is that the exeption line i am suppose to type in to the security exeption to stop it from blocking?

ohh and i allready know im crappy with computer stuff so no need to inform me on that matter :mrgreen: :P
User avatar
Emina
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:42 am

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Feone » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Emina wrote:wow i have been searching the forum like crazy for some help to my problem like this one. But the title on this thread doesnt really help us users to find it. maybe add something like how to java security settings or something like that.

so i just came back after buying this new computer that took a wile to asemble. Having to download everything a new now, and since i saw the talk about that Ender was most likley not gonna keep updating hes client, (wich i feel really sad about since i have been using it for ages and i just love hes work, he never overdoes anything keeps it very basic functional). but anyway i realize now i probably have to move on to Latikais version in the end wich seems to be the most similar to Enders.

so now im getting exaktley this problem that java security wont let me download and is blocking this "http://DonnEssime.github.io"
i dont really recognize this since it used to be "http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" so im wondering first of all if this DonnEssime.github.io is legit? and if it is, is that the exeption line i am suppose to type in to the security exeption to stop it from blocking?

ohh and i allready know im crappy with computer stuff so no need to inform me on that matter :mrgreen: :P


It's the github repository for the latikai client so yes, that link is legit.
It is indeed the link you need to add to the exception list. Once that's done the client should run properly.
Feone
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Kandarim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:36 pm

yes, that is the link to the github file hosting for my github account. It is as legit as I am :)

dropbox was giving all kind of funny errors and was basically not the right choice for other reasons as well (not supporting file if-modified-since queries, for example) so I migrated to github hosting, which seems to work appreciably well on small scales.

The topic title was never set "correctly" because at the time I just figured it was a quick post but over time it has been referenced quite a bit (and oracle doesn't seem to be loosening up on their "security") and eventually got pinned.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
Fiduciani wrote:You can trust us. We're the good guys.
User avatar
Kandarim
Customer
 
Posts: 5197
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Feone » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Kandarim wrote:yes, that is the link to the github file hosting for my github account. It is as legit as I am :)

dropbox was giving all kind of funny errors and was basically not the right choice for other reasons as well (not supporting file if-modified-since queries, for example) so I migrated to github hosting, which seems to work appreciably well on small scales.

The topic title was never set "correctly" because at the time I just figured it was a quick post but over time it has been referenced quite a bit (and oracle doesn't seem to be loosening up on their "security") and eventually got pinned.


They should rename it from "high" and "highest" to "annoy me" and "annoy me more".
Useless settings too.
Feone
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Nagualcina » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Figured how to skip security but still have no clue how to run Latikai in x64, whatever trickj or procedure i do, when it client open my my task manager say Java *32... anyone have idea how to do it? (need both 32 and 64 Java on Win7 x64 system becouse of various browsers)
User avatar
Nagualcina
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:24 am

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Kandarim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:39 pm

by giving your 64 bit java precedence on the 32 bit one: make its path come first in your system PATH variable on windows. Simply launching with the 64-bit webstart will often not work on windows.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
Fiduciani wrote:You can trust us. We're the good guys.
User avatar
Kandarim
Customer
 
Posts: 5197
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 am

Feone wrote:
Kandarim wrote:yes, that is the link to the github file hosting for my github account. It is as legit as I am :)

dropbox was giving all kind of funny errors and was basically not the right choice for other reasons as well (not supporting file if-modified-since queries, for example) so I migrated to github hosting, which seems to work appreciably well on small scales.

The topic title was never set "correctly" because at the time I just figured it was a quick post but over time it has been referenced quite a bit (and oracle doesn't seem to be loosening up on their "security") and eventually got pinned.


They should rename it from "high" and "highest" to "annoy me" and "annoy me more".
Useless settings too.


I quite agree... kind of like Microsoft and it's "are you sure you want to install this potentially dangerous piece of software on your computer we have no idea about and are too cheap and lazy to really look into?"

For a title, how about "Java secruity issues"
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT
Moderator
 
Posts: 5088
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 am

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Kandarim » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:18 am

if you spell that correctly, sure :)

Also at the "security" settings for java and microsoft, watch here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
Fiduciani wrote:You can trust us. We're the good guys.
User avatar
Kandarim
Customer
 
Posts: 5197
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: How Oracle screwed up and how to fix it

Postby Nagualcina » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:42 am

Kandarim wrote:by giving your 64 bit java precedence on the 32 bit one: make its path come first in your system PATH variable on windows. Simply launching with the 64-bit webstart will often not work on windows.


Didnt had any PATH in my system variable, so i added one that point to x64 (F:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\), restarted, launched again but no luck, it saya Java *32 again...B(
User avatar
Nagualcina
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs & Technicalities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests