Java 7 messing with my Salem

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Java 7 messing with my Salem

Postby Arurra » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 am

Hey,

So today I finally updated to Java 7. And since i have frozen when:
1. Shift clicking to fill smelter with coal.
2. Porting to Boston.
3. Shift clicking to move stuff from inventory to box.

Running Java 6 I have never had any problem, but after updating to Java7 I have crashed 5 times in 2 hours.
Anyone have any ideas of how I can fix it? or are the Devs. planing on a Salem hotfix or something to make a smooth out the problem?

I have heard others on the IRC having problems - which is why I really didn't want to update - but because other programs need the update I had to too update :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw I'm using Enders client - I don't know if this has any association with the freezes?
Arurra

Re: Java 7 messing with my Salem

Postby dullahx » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:32 am

uninstall java 7
dullahx

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am

basically, you should try on default client and see if it crashes like it does with enders.
if it doesnt crash with the default client, you should ask in ender's thread.
if it crashes with the default as well, then loftar will look into it, no doubt.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Droj » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 am

Remove Java 7, put 6 back on. Not had a crash since
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Jacra » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:25 pm

From my playing around it seems to be Java 7 and not Ender or such. Not sure if others can confirm this but according to task manager on my end there are when it happens several instances of javaw application open, each around 480 or such MB. Which basically might be a memory leak that with instances adds up and then freezes/crashs?
Jacra

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:49 pm

No, it's definitely Ender's that crashes in Java 7 if I understand correctly. I'm not sure if he's pinpointed the bug and is waiting on Oracle to fix it, if he's still searching for it in his code, or it's a conflict with some of the core source code.

It is possible to run both versions, but it is difficult to set up and prone to failure if not done correctly.

There should be one instance of javaw.exe open for each instance of a Java applet running. If you have more than one open, then there could be problems if you haven't launched any other applets.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Bugs & Technicalities