Laaaag

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Re: Laaaag

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:18 pm

I can't say for sure, but I really don't think they're on the same hardware. If I recall my HnH history correctly, Seatribe ran the HnH game and web server on the same hardware for a little while, but the game grew enough where it just wasn't possible (forum software itself, if the forum is busy enough, can tax modern processors). I was honestly surprised to find out HnH ran on just one system with as many people as I've seen it support. Most MMOs usually have one physical server per zone and only support a limited number of people per area.

Here's something simple: if the lag is consistent for everyone, it's the server. If it's only an issue for you, it's your computer. If it's an issue for many, but not all it's in the middle, and the kicker on this is... no matter how far apart in the world you are, two people can end up routed through the same servers while two other people in the same areas can be routed through a completely different route. It's the nature of the internet.

This issue would be a little more reasonable if this weren't a beta, but as it is, some lag is to be expected. Lag that isn't universal, however, isn't something the devs can do anything about unless there's a bug in the client code. The best we can do on the forums is help you track it down or fix your end if that's the problem.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:18 am

To be fair, if 3-4 people are having simultaneous lag (this happens in my village) whether or not they are using a modified client you know it's server lag. That is unless there's a mod to enders that has them accessing a non-salem server, to my knowledge that's not true.

I'm not going to blame anyone for playing with a mod client instead of the vanilla if the vanilla client isn't getting any attention and is much less usable.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:52 am

sure, nobody is blaming you for using modded clients, but the thing is that devs cannot look after the performance issues caused with every modded client. so, it is critical to check on the default client when you want to ask things like this in general, imo.

one thing to note, someone i know told me that they were experiencing certain lag in their own town with hundreds of gardening pots. they have no problems when in Boston, but in their own town, and maybe an advanced towns with so many objects lying around may be causing it. i tried asking loftar about this but no response yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:sure, nobody is blaming you for using modded clients, but the thing is that devs cannot look after the performance issues caused with every modded client. so, it is critical to check on the default client when you want to ask things like this in general, imo.

one thing to note, someone i know told me that they were experiencing certain lag in their own town with hundreds of gardening pots. they have no problems when in Boston, but in their own town, and maybe an advanced towns with so many objects lying around may be causing it. i tried asking loftar about this but no response yet.

Especially with quantum fields (overlapping them), you can get very nasty local lag. My home is pretty modest though, so it's not loading lag in our case.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to Bugs & Technicalities