Char delete

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Char delete

Postby Lycanerin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:59 pm

It should be possible to delete single avatars or the account.
Lycanerin

Re: Char delete

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Characters can't be "deleted" per se, seeing as how they still exist -- whether you want them to or not -- in the actual game world. The may be linked in such aspects as them being owners of leantos, claims, scents, &c. In those respects, it's quite unclear what "deletion" would even mean.
loftar

Postby staxjax » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:50 pm

We just need real swimming to delete characters ;p
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, or you could just bury them further down your character list. It's not as if they'll throw a tantrum and kill your active characters. ;)
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

But that's not really deletion as it doesn't get rid of the character and what they own.

Some specifics...

Deletion of a character entails 3 things:

1. Removal of the character from the server database, as is usual for most games. This is likely an irrevocable process. (In theory, the character might be retrieved from backups, but... that's a huge customer service and IT issue that can get extremely expensive.)

2. Removal of any rights of inheritance--since the character no longer exists, you can't inherit anything from it.

3. Removal of any claims that said character has placed. This might even include town claims, but that could be up for debate. Anything else in the game... if it's not claimed, it's fair game. There is no ownership rules other than what is on a claim (or in a building flagged as a homestead). Items that were on the claim become free for the taking until they rot away.

A word of warning on this: anything like master keys, items flagged to another player (such as writs and charters), or other goods a player might want to keep would get destroyed along with the character record.

I think that's a good start for a discussion and rules to work with for character deletion.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't see what benefit there is from such a feature, though. Why not just ignore the characters?
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 pm

As long as there's no limits to the number of characters, you're right, loftar. There is no need for it. Some people seem to want it, though. I think it'd be nice to have, but I rarely get rid of my characters in games. I figure at least make up some "rules" of what character deletion might entail to let people discuss on instead of just saying "Why can't I delete a character?"
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:12 pm

loftar wrote:I don't see what benefit there is from such a feature, though. Why not just ignore the characters?

it is not aesthetically pleasing :) (i hope google translates it right)
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Bluestone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 pm

It is a bit of an OCD thing. I too would twitch if I had a character I didn't want/use but could not delete lol.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Well, I mean, I could add a function to simply remove a character from the character list of an account without doing anything else, but it just seems to superficial and pointless. :)
loftar

Next

Return to Bugs & Technicalities