Constant Awful Lag Spikes

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Constant Awful Lag Spikes

Postby Zebekaiah » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Just got a Beta key yesterday and played fine for a few hours last night. Today, I'm experiencing constant lag spikes, sometimes full-stops for ten or more seconds at a time.

Is this just big server load/stress test during a Beta on the first weekend after a new batch of Beta keys was released, or is it possibly something on my end? I don't seem to be having any performance issues, and the lag spikes don't seem at all correlated with CPU usage spikes on my end. I don't have a super rig, but it can usually run new games pretty easily.

I understand it's Beta and it may just be an influx of new players, but was just curious if there was an answer.
Zebekaiah

Re: Constant Awful Lag Spikes

Postby Onionfighter » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 pm

The lag does seem to be a recent development.
Onionfighter

Postby Zebekaiah » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Good to know it's apparently not just me. I can handle laggy Beta... means lots of testers making a better game. :P
Zebekaiah

Postby sumofallwars » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm getting them too. updating java right now to see if it can be resolved. I find i can reduce them if you don't study anything. also they seem to be client issues as i am having no trouble with connectivity.

I'll write back if i can resolve the issue
sumofallwars

Postby Flameturtle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Updating's probably the worst thing you can do. The clients work best on Java 6.
Flameturtle

Postby sumofallwars » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 pm

how do you know that? i'm going to give it a good run(literally) and see how the performance compares.

Btw this is apple :) nice to see your on the fourms. you should drop by sometime and see how far i've gone.

Edit: seems to make no difference to me. it's about the same from my 10 min run.
Last edited by sumofallwars on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumofallwars

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Zebekaiah wrote:sometimes full-stops for ten or more seconds at a time.

I assume it is a client issue, then, since server-side lag wouldn't cause "full stops".

It could possibly be related to garbage collection if you're running low on memory, since a complete mark-sweep collection might then have to bring the entire heap back in from swap. You might want to try the low-memory client and see if that helps.
loftar

Postby dullahx » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am

there have been several lag spikes recently, server side.
dullahx

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 am

loftar wrote:
Zebekaiah wrote:sometimes full-stops for ten or more seconds at a time.

I assume it is a client issue, then, since server-side lag would cause "full stops".

It could possibly be related to garbage collection if you're running low on memory, since a complete mark-sweep collection might then have to bring the entire heap back in from swap. You might want to try the low-memory client and see if that helps.

server lag would or would not cause full stops? the OP is saying there are full stops.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby loftar » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 am

Oops, "wouldn't", indeed. :)
loftar

Return to Bugs & Technicalities