Stuffed Turkey Needs to be cooked in a Bread Oven

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Stuffed Turkey Needs to be cooked in a Bread Oven

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Wouldn't let me put it in a lit stove, had to put it in the bread oven instead. Shroom stuffed peppers are also still baked in a bread oven.

I'm assuming the devs are aware of this, just a bit of cleanup over what items can be cooked in which building from the looks of it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Stuffed Turkey Needs to be cooked in a Bread Oven

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:15 pm

do you (or your family) normally cook a stuffed turkey or stuffed peppers on a stove?
(i mean, ive only seen them cooked in an oven, not on a stove, yet.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:do you (or your family) normally cook a stuffed turkey or stuffed peppers on a stove?
(i mean, ive only seen them cooked in an oven, not on a stove, yet.)

Where I'm from, the word Stove and Oven mean the same thing. Furthermore, the stove actually has oven slots in it. So in my case, yes. I can see how it wouldn't make sense if the dialect of english you speak is different than mine though.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Sevenless wrote:Where I'm from, the word Stove and Oven mean the same thing. Furthermore, the stove actually has oven slots in it. So in my case, yes. I can see how it wouldn't make sense if the dialect of english you speak is different than mine though.

interesting. may i ask where?
in my own tongue a stove is never an object for cooking :p

btw, if im correct, stoves use direct fires, while ovens use hot temperature and no direct fire thus better for baking or cooking evenly.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Where I'm from, the word Stove and Oven mean the same thing. Furthermore, the stove actually has oven slots in it. So in my case, yes. I can see how it wouldn't make sense if the dialect of english you speak is different than mine though.

interesting. may i ask where?
in my own tongue a stove is never an object for cooking :p

btw, if im correct, stoves use direct fires, while ovens use hot temperature and no direct fire thus better for baking or cooking evenly.

From Canada.

You are correct from my understanding of how stoves/ovens work. Stoves heat directly underneath what you're cooking, while ovens heat the air around the food. In modern days, stove and oven are the same thing, but that doesn't really make sense in pilgrim terms. Combined stoves and ovens didn't exist until the gas stove came around from what I can tell.

So from what I can tell Stoves shouldn't have an internal cooking inventory. But honestly? I think we can forgo a little realism here and just roll with it. It makes sense to players because that's how modern cooking apparatus function.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 pm

A stove and and oven are not always the same thing in modern usage. Stove is frequently used as the combo stove/oven appliance, but is really just the cooktop portion. Besides, I can't think of all the terms that have been used over the years for these various appliances, not to mention the various national dialects of English.

Doing a bit of digging, the first fully enclosed stove wasn't developed in Europe until about 1735 in France. For practical purposes of the game, we're still talking about an open hearth here with possibly a tripod, built in hook, or a platform/stand for pots. ("Early Kitchen Stoves") I'm not sure "stove" is the best use of the word to maintain immersion of the time period (from common usage seen in modern literature, not necessarily on classic definitions), either, though it certainly applies.

Edit: besides, shouldn't a stuffed turkey be cooked in a meat smoker? :o

2nd edit: Cooking large portions of meat over an open flame like this is very much possible. It's called rotisserie and has been a staple method of cooking for... well, I'm not sure anyone knows how long. (I'm sure someone does, but I did my research for the day.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Specifically though, the stuffed turkey is cooked in a large pan basting in its own juices.

The stove that was invented is "close enough" to our timeline really. I think it's just easier to fudge reality over this matter than to try and get really technical over it.
Sevenless

Postby Bluestone » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:31 am

Or you could drop the word 'Bread' from 'Bread Oven' and it is no longer tied specifically to baking (in name). Build a Brick Oven or just Oven and bake your pies and roast your turkey in it :D

For me it sounds silly to roast my stuffed turkey in a BREAD oven.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 am

Bluestone wrote:Or you could drop the word 'Bread' from 'Bread Oven' and it is no longer tied specifically to baking (in name). Build a Brick Oven or just Oven and bake your pies and roast your turkey in it :D

There's a good solution.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 am

Bluestone wrote:Or you could drop the word 'Bread' from 'Bread Oven' and it is no longer tied specifically to baking (in name). Build a Brick Oven or just Oven and bake your pies and roast your turkey in it :D

For me it sounds silly to roast my stuffed turkey in a BREAD oven.

Doesn't it still say kiln in the window title anyway? ;)
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Next

Return to Bugs & Technicalities