Can't turn Shadows off before Crash

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Can't turn Shadows off before Crash

Postby Uronoro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:00 pm

This is a bit of a big problem for me because this is preventing me from playing Salem in either the default client or other clients on my main machine.

I decided to attempt to turn on Shadows in the Options menu, even though everyone told me to avoid it. I admit I was warned, its my fault. My computer instantly froze. Not the game, the whole computer. I forced it to shut down and tried to start the game up again. Same deal, after I selected my character and the play screen started to load the computer froze. I was using the Ender client, so I tried switching to default to see if I can at least get at the options button to turn the shadows off. Computer froze again.

I seem to be able to launch and play the game on my less powered laptop because, for some reason, the shadows setting didn't get carried over to that machine. But Salem grows choppy on my laptop and I would prefer to play it on my more powerful desktop.

Is there any solution to this? I just can't get in the game long enough to turn off the shadows! This setting is literally grinding my whole machine to a halt.

Edit- I have tried redownloading both Ender and Default clients to no avail.
Uronoro

Re: Can't turn Shadows off before Crash

Postby Uronoro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Update, fixed it by deleting my Salem folder. Never shall I touch that button again.

I hope Shadows gets fixed soon, it sounds impressive.
Uronoro

Re: Can't turn Shadows off before Crash

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm

FYI, you hard a video failure due to your gfx card not supporting the shaders required to turn on the shadows. Depending on what operating system you have, it may or may not auto recover from the video failure (I know it tries and usually does in Windows 7).
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Return to Bugs & Technicalities