crashing after 30 mins

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

crashing after 30 mins

Postby Oreillologue » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Ok I made a post about a week ago because my computer was freezing. After updating catalyst and my drivers, that problem was solved, but there is another one.

After playing for an average of 30 minutes, my game (not the computer at least :D ) will either crash or close, and I don't get any error report. This can happen when anything ''new'' happens. By new I mean lighting a torch, starting a fight, someone talking to me, starting to dig, opening the land flattening tool of Ender, etc... I have no clue what I need to do to fix this.

I'm sorry if something like that has already been posted on the forum, I made a quick search and didn't find anything like it.
Oreillologue

Re: crashing after 30 mins

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Hmm, if the client closes without an error report, it would seem to be indicative of the JVM itself crashing, rather than the game code. When it does, it usually does tend to leave a crash dump file behind, but it leaves it in its working directory, so I don't know where in your filesystem that would be. Could you try searching your filesystems for hs_err_*.log files and see if there are any? (The "*" being random characters.)
loftar

Postby Oreillologue » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Thank you for that quick reply.

I searched for it but it seems I have no file like that. Is there any other possible names for that? It should be in my java file?

I saw in another post that Java 7 isn't stable is some cases. Should I download java 6?
Oreillologue

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Oreillologue wrote:Thank you for that quick reply.

I searched for it but it seems I have no file like that. Is there any other possible names for that? It should be in my java file?

I saw in another post that Java 7 isn't stable is some cases. Should I download java 6?

Java 7 is entirely why you're crashing from what people have told me. I use Java 7 and I tend to crash after 30mins-1hr of play upon doing something new. Opening a new recipe, punching an animal, anything really. Others who had these issues and switched to Java 6 say they clear up almost entirely.

I'm just lazy and stubborn :/
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Sevenless wrote:I use Java 7 and I tend to crash after 30mins-1hr of play upon doing something new.

Does the client just crash without even an error report window, though?

Also, are any of you using Ender's client? It is known to be affected by what seems to a bug in Java 7.
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 pm

loftar wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I use Java 7 and I tend to crash after 30mins-1hr of play upon doing something new.

Does the client just crash without even an error report window, though?

Also, are any of you using Ender's client? It is known to be affected by what seems to a bug in Java 7.

I never get an error report window, and yes this is using Enders. Normally the game just disappears. However, the sounds from the client continue as if it's running, and often there's a javaw process still running in the background. I'm forced to manually crash the client in order to be able to log back in. Othertimes I'm booted to the login menu. Other times the game simply freezes. Crashes become very frequent after running for ~30-60 minutes, and it's usually caused by doing something "new" that I haven't done that session. If I haven't been in a party for the first hour, usually a party invite will crash me. Etc, etc.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ROC420 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

I get the same issue as Sevenless, exactly as he says. Switching to java 6 cause I just got by a cricket due to this, client still runs in the background you just cant see it or pull it up.

ROC
ROC420

Postby Oreillologue » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 am

I'm happy to see i'm not the only one with that problem. And Sevenless was right, installing java 6 seems to be the solution, I played for a good while without any problem. Thanks!!

And yes, I was also using Ender's client.
Oreillologue

Return to Bugs & Technicalities