Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Zapt13 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi all,

I remember reading about some threatening changes to Hypothermia regarding standing in water and other things. I don't recall if there was a commitment to implement some changes or leave them for further discussion, but I've noticed a strange thing this cold snap: my Hypothermia debuff turns on (at 97) and then turns off (after what I will refer to as a major tick - the interval that drops footprints and must be the interval for checking for madness state after logging in, and evaluating your heat as well).

My thought is that while the debuff is inactive it is not considering nearby heat sources like torches or fire pits, but once it's on it does check for those things and as a result turns off.

Anyone else notice this strange behavior? Maybe I just have the "wrong" thermal value combined with the perfect cold snap where my heat should be 98 and so it bounces back and forth between on and off for this reason?
Re-enter your signature!
Zapt13
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:41 am

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Taipion » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 pm

No, no such "perfect" combination.

This seems to be bugged at least to some degree.

First off, the evaluation of temperatures (before this cold snap) was already a bit off, in that you would gain a minor cold debuff and then lose it repeatedly (as you described) if and only if you used torched/nearby fire/ heated stones while otherwise having too little thermal clothing value for the surrounding temperature.
This is understandable, but something that should be fixed someday.

Now, starting with this coldsnap, I too encountered strange cold debuff behaviour without using any torch/fire/heated-stones, in my base it would be all fine but while travelling around a bit it would just behave as you described.
Which is, even considering the bugged behaviour I just described, something that should not happen, as without torch/fire/... the cold debuff should not turn on/off repeatedly.

Or is this working as intended @devs?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm

It would be nice if the logic for fireplaces etc. etc. was indeed all in the making of the debuff itself. This is a lot more strain on the server and I need to come up with a better implementation before 'correcting' that aspect.

As for cold snap temperatures changing in various places throughout the world. That is unique and I'm not entirely sure why.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Brego » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Isn't this very hard mechanics for beginners?I brought some new friends to show them a game but seems like making some nub clothes ,doesn't help ,same with heated stones.So should i play with this slowly speed for a week or what ?
Madness
I would change everything in places, but to madness, I do not have enough strength
""I Love TRIBE ""
Tha Biddas "Dream Crusher"
User avatar
Brego
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 am
Location: Ukraine!

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby MaxPlanck » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 pm

The temperature is extremely low this season. I needed like 68+ thermal or something to avoid hypothermia. And unless a torch or heated stone provides like +30 or +40 then a newbie won't be able to escape this winters weather at all.
User avatar
MaxPlanck
Customer
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:The temperature is extremely low this season. I needed like 68+ thermal or something to avoid hypothermia. And unless a torch or heated stone provides like +30 or +40 then a newbie won't be able to escape this winters weather at all.


Heated Stone = +10 Thermal Equivalent per stone.
Torch = +40 Thermal Equivalent when being held.
Standing near a fire = +80 Thermal Equivalent Per Fire.

So a player could:
hold a torch, and wear a pair of fuzzy earmuffs.
Run back to a fire (should be impossible to die to hypothermia while standing next to fires).
Or carry around 5-6 Heated stones in their inventory along with a piece or two of clothing.

This doesn't include blankets, broth, houses, & Mason Lodge which are all additional ways to mitigate the cold.

Any noob who 'cannot' escape this after a small bit of trial and error should not let the door hit them on the way out as I consider this far too generous.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Heffernan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

JohnCarver wrote:
MaxPlanck wrote:The temperature is extremely low this season. I needed like 68+ thermal or something to avoid hypothermia. And unless a torch or heated stone provides like +30 or +40 then a newbie won't be able to escape this winters weather at all.


Heated Stone = +10 Thermal Equivalent per stone.
Torch = +40 Thermal Equivalent when being held.
Standing near a fire = +80 Thermal Equivalent Per Fire.

So a player could:
hold a torch, and wear a pair of fuzzy earmuffs.
Run back to a fire (should be impossible to die to hypothermia while standing next to fires).
Or carry around 5-6 Heated stones in their inventory along with a piece or two of clothing.

This doesn't include blankets, broth, houses, & Mason Lodge which are all additional ways to mitigate the cold.

Any noob who 'cannot' escape this after a small bit of trial and error should not let the door hit them on the way out as I consider this far too generous.


i got 38 Thermal and 9 Heated Stones = 128 Thermal and i keep going to 97 thermal and back to 100 all the time

also sure id expect a new player to get up to 10 thermal but heated stones is advanced knowledge in some areas u need 70+ Thermal cant expect new players to get that high.

Image
User avatar
Heffernan
 
Posts: 8402
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Marps Closet

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Taipion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 am

MaxPlanck wrote:The temperature is extremely low this season. I needed like 68+ thermal or something to avoid hypothermia. And unless a torch or heated stone provides like +30 or +40 then a newbie won't be able to escape this winters weather at all.


That is only partly true, according to my testing, only areas that are at least about 243 map tiles north of provi are ...."extra cold",
so if you are not in that northern part of the map, you should be fine. ^^

Heffernan wrote:i got 38 Thermal and 9 Heated Stones = 128 Thermal and i keep going to 97 thermal and back to 100 all the time

also sure id expect a new player to get up to 10 thermal but heated stones is advanced knowledge in some areas u need 70+ Thermal cant expect new players to get that high.

Image


Heat added through other things than clothing cause a temporary cold/no-cold switching like that, which will hopefully be fixed someday.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am

The primary issue btw is that I run body temperature calculations on the characters every 6 seconds. Parsing your whole inventory, all the objects around you for heat, and what is in your hand every 6 seconds seems like an unreasonable amount of server strain. The buff, however, attempts to warm you up every 30 seconds or so based on those things. I'll try to think of a more elegant solution but it is at least 'why' you see that behavior.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
User avatar
JohnCarver
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6826
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Hypothermia Debuff Cycles On and Off?

Postby Taipion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:12 am

JohnCarver wrote:The primary issue btw is that I run body temperature calculations on the characters every 6 seconds. Parsing your whole inventory, all the objects around you for heat, and what is in your hand every 6 seconds seems like an unreasonable amount of server strain. The buff, however, attempts to warm you up every 30 seconds or so based on those things. I'll try to think of a more elegant solution but it is at least 'why' you see that behavior.


Yea that fits perfectly well to my observations.
- 30 sec cold debuff
- 6 sec no cold debuff
- repeat

[edit]:
How about counting all "sources of heat" the same way as thermal value from clothing?
And calculate all that together maybe every 15-30 seconds?
So taking a heated stone into your inv adds 10 to your thermal the same way as adding a piece of clothing with 10 thermal would do.
Same for torches, and fireplace buffs could be checked every 30 seconds and stay on/off for the next 30 sec until next check?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Next

Return to Bugs & Technicalities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests