Fix DNS for salemthegame.com

Forum for bugs and technical problems.

Fix DNS for salemthegame.com

Postby Gloomy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey Devs,

Please have your host setup "salemthegame.com" to resolve at "www.salemthegame.com" Right now it's showing an unresolved DNS error or something.

Gloomy
Gloomy

Re: Fix DNS for salemthegame.com

Postby punker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Been a while since I set up sites, but think that's an easy fix.
punker

Postby Kandarim » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:45 pm

afaik this is taken care of at browser level: most browsers will try to prepend www. if the original url does not resolve.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Kralith » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Sometimes it also make no sense to have a resolver at the domain itself.

www is the right value for web, just the most website operator set the same IP to the domain and www to make it easier for people to reach the website.
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Gloomy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Kralith wrote:Sometimes it also make no sense to have a resolver at the domain itself.

www is the right value for web, just the most website operator set the same IP to the domain and www to make it easier for people to reach the website.

That is an extremely lazy attitude and it's obvious that your livelihood doesn't depend on web traffic. People typing in salemthegame.com are literally being sent to a blank error page. How many assume that this is just another failed game?
Gloomy

Postby Kralith » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Gloomy wrote:That is an extremely lazy attitude and it's obvious that your livelihood doesn't depend on web traffic.

Is there any reason to tackle me, just because i explained that it sometimes makes sense not to set the IP?
But your are right, my livelihood is not depending on getting much web traffic, my is depending to prevent too much traffic. :D
Salem Wiki (PM me if you need help with editing)
Report corrections and new things here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kralith
Customer

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Kralith wrote:
Gloomy wrote:That is an extremely lazy attitude and it's obvious that your livelihood doesn't depend on web traffic.

Is there any reason to tackle me, just because i explained that it sometimes makes sense not to set the IP?
But your are right, my livelihood is not depending on getting much web traffic, my is depending to prevent too much traffic. :D

Maybe he believes YOU will fix that problem if he yells at you loud enough. :lol:
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Gloomy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Kralith wrote:

You're right, poor attitude my apologies. I should've had coffee first.

I've honestly never heard that point of view, and I come from the POV of wanting every customer to easily be able to find my products. Anyway was just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it or close the thread.
Gloomy

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Gloomy wrote:
Kralith wrote:

You're right, poor attitude my apologies. I should've had coffee first.

I've honestly never heard that point of view, and I come from the POV of wanting every customer to easily be able to find my products. Anyway was just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it or close the thread.

You know that Kralith has little influence on this, right?

IF you feel this is so important, and you think the devs did not see you, go send them all a pm on the forums, they might still ignore it, but you might feel better if you do. ^^ (most importantly: JohnCarver, MarpTarpton)
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Gloomy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Cool thanks. Don't really care that much, just thought it was an oversight.

I have wayyy too much work to do on my settlement before it gets raided and I'm homeless. I'm enjoying being back, the team has made amazing changes.
Gloomy

Return to Bugs & Technicalities